Birchwood QVC Outlet TROLLEY BAN !!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

shopping jenny

Registered Shopper
I visited the store yesterday to find the trolley ban in force. By the time I had selected three items my basket was virtually full and certainly too heavy for me to carry around whilst looking at other things. I am in my seventies and suffer from arthritis , although it is not severe enough for me to be registered as disabled.
Like many pensioners I use a trolley for support whilst doing my shopping , although I have never abandoned it in the 'out of bounds for trolleys ' area .

Yesterday I was finished shopping in half the time having spent less than half my usual amount ! A great cost cutting exercise for me and a way for the store to reduce it's takings !!!!

I spoke with the manager expressing my disagreement with this new policy . I expressed the need to supply smaller QVC trolleys if the larger ones are regarded as causing obstructions.

He gave me the name and the phone number of the Liquidations Operations Manager at the QVC Operations Centre in Liverpool . I have spoken with HIM
this morning and get the impression that they are still awaiting feedback.

If anyone on this forum is in a similar situation to me , speaking to this person with your opinion could prove to be useful .

Kind regards to all ,
Jenny .

I think it is a good idea for a trolley ban, mainly because I see a few people with lots of items in the trolleys and not a lot left for other shoppers to choose from. I see it as sharing the items around in a more fair manner.

I haven't been to the outlet for a while but they used to let you put things especially larger items behind the till maybe they would let you do that so you didn't have to carry a heavy basket around.
Personally I think the ban is a good idea, the shop is so small and unfortunately a few selfish people do make shopping in there very difficult with the trollies being left never mind the ones who just grab everything to sell on eBay, always reminds me of that game show, supermarket sweep, they don't even look at what they are buying.

I think those of us that agree with the trolly ban should also give QVC our feedback, otherwise it could go back to the smash and grab trolley run of old. I'll look for the details on the website.

i was in Warrington last week and made the point that especially when buying the bedding sets, how would you cope and could you put your bits behind the counter, and then pay for them all together.

I was told thatthe manager had decided to implement this as there were 18 abandoned trolleys up by the jewellery .... they were also not permitting any storing items behind the counter, or leaving at the door, and that the manager was steadfast in his ruling on the trolleys - I said well the next thing will be due to the lack of trolleys, customers quite rightly asking for assistance to their cars with their purchases - and would the manager be availalbe to help everyone, or would he be employing extra staff to facilitate this .. she did say that they had had a huge number of complaints, but that the manager refuses to change this decision ....

Of course, if he is trying to get the store shut down due to low volume of purchases, he is certainly on the right track to achieve this ...

I don't think it will last too long .. but who knows.

Missy

I sympathise with mobility problems as I have them too and am an OAP but i still agree with the ban if it stops all the greedy folk who aren`t buying for themselves personally filling trolly fulls ..its not right!! It can only be a good thing letting everyone have an equal chance of getting a bargain ....no wonder when we go there are no bargains to be had !!

I have seen with my own eyes people with trolleys hanging around the clothes rails for ages, when new rails get pushed out they run over and scoop everything off and pile into the trolley. I could not believe my eyes it was like a rugby free for all. As always a few ruin it for everyone, i am sure the manager knows who the ebay sellers are.

I understood the manager at Birchwood to be female, tall with long, curly, thick, dark hair has she finished?

I have seen with my own eyes people with trolleys hanging around the clothes rails for ages, when new rails get pushed out they run over and scoop everything off and pile into the trolley. I could not believe my eyes it was like a rugby free for all. As always a few ruin it for everyone, i am sure the manager knows who the ebay sellers are.

They just need to post a taxman with clipboard on the door for a week or two!

Jude xx

I just can't understand this mega objection so many of you have to Ebay sellers ! I personally have never sold any QVC items on Ebay but have been fortunate enough to buy some for myself .
This saved me a great deal of money compared to the full QVC price . The folk who sell QVC items on Ebay are allowing people in all areas of the UK to benefit from discounted priced products, even if they live too far away to travel to Warrington or Shrewsbury.

Selling on Ebay also involves putting in time and effort in photographing the items , writing good descriptions and of course packing and posting . I myself couldn't do all that now but I am not critical of those that do. Trying to improve one's financial situation may be out of sheer necessity rather than greed !

I just can't understand this mega objection so many of you have to Ebay sellers ! I personally have never sold any QVC items on Ebay but have been fortunate enough to buy some for myself .
This saved me a great deal of money compared to the full QVC price . The folk who sell QVC items on Ebay are allowing people in all areas of the UK to benefit from discounted priced products, even if they live too far away to travel to Warrington or Shrewsbury.

Selling on Ebay also involves putting in time and effort in photographing the items , writing good descriptions and of course packing and posting . I myself couldn't do all that now but I am not critical of those that do. Trying to improve one's financial situation may be out of sheer necessity rather than greed !

They grab anything in sight pushing other shoppers out of the way to clear rails ect. They buy the items for a few ££££ then hike the prices up on ebay. Its great if you buy from them but not good if you get run over or pushed out of the way in the mad scramble for the rails LOL.

Why should an outlet shop be any different from any other store with a sale on I`ve never seen that sort of greedy behaviour there. I know for a fact that buying goes on there too for the e-bay market but I think its done in a more civilised ungreedy manner.

Also it puts people off going to shop there at all, the ones that don't want armfuls of potential ebay sales, as it can be an unpleasant experience. I know people want to make a living on ebay, but why would Joe Public go in there for a browse and possible purchase if they know that ebayer sellers are grabbing armfuls of items, discarding the naffer stuff and then buying up the only true bargains. There is no incentive to go there knowing that is going on. I have also seen this happen at Next when they have the 6:00 a.m. sales twice a year, and I also think that is awful, usually with the childrens clothing (whole rail sections) and handbags. I went to the handbag section to be faced with a woman throwing her arms round all the handbags scooping them up and putting them in her 'sack', and I thought 'thanks a lot, I only wanted one!' It all smacks of out-and-out greed to me. People don't seem to do this at TK Max and I've seen lots of bargains there that I'm sure would sell on ebay. Maybe its me but I just don't get it, if you have to push people out of the way, and use a trolly as a barging tool to get in front of others then how can that be right. Whatever happened to sharing?

I've only nipped into the Birchwood shop a couple of times late in the day, since I was told about the change in putting out clothing last year.
I don't know how things pan out now with the regulars who were usually found to be camping out for the day in the store, chatting in groups about previous goings on in the store.
It's a real shame that those who don't have any respect and spoil things for others.
I know I've been pushed and had things grabbed, ending up nearly in my face many times.

Think it was last summer when we had our last trip to Shrewsbury, from what I've witnessed in the past, they don't have any of the Birchwood problems in that store but then it appears to be run a whole lot better.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with people selling stuff on ebay from the outlet but some of the prices are riduclous. I have been to both outlets and know approximately how much you can pick things up for sometimes as little as 20% of the full price - these sellers are charging 90%+ of the full qvc price, and without the guarantee that you get in the shop or off the tv. Just wish I lived a bit closer and could pop in every couple of weeks to get some bargains for myself, as it is obviously very hit and miss as to what they have in and when.

I also agree that Shrewsbury seems a much better store than Warrington.

Birchwood abuse

I only go every few months to Birchwood as I live in York and I was totally discusted today when I saw one shopper being verbally abused by another and the staff did not intervene even though she was in tears.
I have been going off and on there since it opened and I have noticed that it has gone downhill over the last couple of years due to a couple of shoppers that seem to be in every time I am there. Talking to other customers they are in every day from 9am till 2:30pm weekends included, with a trolly full of duplicate items ranging from all different sizes making it unfair for people that shop for them selves and only buy their own size.
Not even the pensioners get a chance to get anything due to greedy people like this.

On one occasion when I was in the shop, a complete rail collapsed due to people grabbing whatever they could get. I am totally discusted in the behavour that goes on in this outlet.

A secret shopper from Head Office without local management knowing, should go down and see what goes on there over a few days.. it will open their eyes as to what goes on.

SHAME ON THE MANAGEMENT FOR ALLOWING THIS TO GO ON

I'm one of those pensioners who don't get a look in due to these greedy people. I have been a few times to Birchwood and it always seems to be the same people hanging around the clothes. I have seen clothes snatched out of other peoples hands, staff nearly knocked over in peoples haste to grab from the rails. One lovely young lady had a dress ripped out of her hands, a member of staff came out three times to one particular person who's behaviour was appalling to say the least. Someone from head office should be alerted to these antics and put a stop to it as it is not fair on other shoppers. I'm now very reluctant to shop there as it has a bad atmosphere now created by a small number of badly behaved individuals who spoil it for other people.

I'm one of those pensioners who don't get a look in due to these greedy people. I have been a few times to Birchwood and it always seems to be the same people hanging around the clothes. I have seen clothes snatched out of other peoples hands, staff nearly knocked over in peoples haste to grab from the rails. One lovely young lady had a dress ripped out of her hands, a member of staff came out three times to one particular person who's behaviour was appalling to say the least. Someone from head office should be alerted to these antics and put a stop to it as it is not fair on other shoppers. I'm now very reluctant to shop there as it has a bad atmosphere now created by a small number of badly behaved individuals who spoil it for other people.
Sorry to hear that you are one of the pensioners that doesnt get a look-in and is now reluctant to go there. I know how you feel as its so disappointing when you travel all that way and get nothing. It makes it even worse when the shop assistants also tell you that they are doing clothes in the back, so you wait and nothing is put out. Also it makes me angry when I am standing about just wanting a few items in my size and all of a sudden a crowd of people just descend on a rail snatching and grabbing at anything insight, if they do bring anything out.

Has anyone else had the same experience at Birchwood? Or do I go on the wrong days? What are the best days to go on when this doesnt happen?

Latest posts

Back