Bit late

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I may be a bit late to the party on this one, but as I caught a few minutes of the Style programme this morning, there was a model in a headscarf that I hadn't seen before.

She was modelling a V neck sleeveless dress, but clearly due to her religion, was worn with a jacket, and a décolletage cover-up underneath to her neck. I admit to doing a double take on this. She later wore a short sleeve T shirt over the top of another long sleeved top.

Each to their own with their religious constraints, but surely wearing a V neck dress that didn't look appropriate with a 'modesty' insert may not have been the wisest choice for her to model. I'm sure there are a lot of prairie style frock from Finery et al in QVCs inventory with long sleeves and up to the neck style, that would have been more suitable for this model to present.

I worked with a Muslim women's group some years ago and they all wore full length, long sleeved body covering clothes along with a hair covering scarf. Fantastic group of ladies and they wanted to wear what their culture suggested, not ours. Not one of them would have worn a T shirt or any kind of western maxi dresses etc. as it wasn't their thing. They did not disapprove one iota of mine or anyone else's style of dress, it just wasn't what they would wear. Well that's OK isn't it?

Let's just let people get on with their own thing and stop poking the bear. It's what everyone wants in reality isn't it?

CC

A few brands/shops do a modesty range and it wouldn’t be a bad idea for Q to introduce a few items but I think those interested would rather have a properly designed and thought out item not just shove a tshirt over or under it.
A friend who is 71 buys the M&S ones for under some of her dresses, which when she sits tend to flash more than she wants. Black and white, I think they might do nude as well?

I may be a bit late to the party on this one, but as I caught a few minutes of the Style programme this morning, there was a model in a headscarf that I hadn't seen before.

She was modelling a V neck sleeveless dress, but clearly due to her religion, was worn with a jacket, and a décolletage cover-up underneath to her neck. I admit to doing a double take on this. She later wore a short sleeve T shirt over the top of another long sleeved top.

Each to their own with their religious constraints, but surely wearing a V neck dress that didn't look appropriate with a 'modesty' insert may not have been the wisest choice for her to model. I'm sure there are a lot of prairie style frock from Finery et al in QVCs inventory with long sleeves and up to the neck style, that would have been more suitable for this model to present.
The people behind the scenes of the fashion shows have bizarre ideas of how to pair separates. I didn't see the show, but your description of the model's outfit brings to mind a mismatched hodgepodge.

I was shocked to hear France is in an uproar over the burkini. As far as I'm concerned it's a sexist thing. Muslim women have to cover up but shouldn't have to stay away from beaches and pools.

There's a bigger terrorist threat from young men with backpacks these days (I'm assuming the ban is about that).

A few brands/shops do a modesty range and it wouldn’t be a bad idea for Q to introduce a few items but I think those interested would rather have a properly designed and thought out item not just shove a tshirt over or under it.
Exactly right in my opinion. I felt that ‘outfit’ was an insult - to the designer and the poor model.

Scarf wearing ladies of certain religions cannot (or choose not to) show excess flesh, which means bare arms, decollate and legs are covered up. Hence the double short and long armed T shirt for that particular model. There was also another model wearing a scarf on the Diamonique show, and again, due to constraints of showing her neck, it was difficult to display necklaces on top of a folded scarf.

I wonder what percentage of QVCs audience are actually of another culture and religion, as clearly the fashion would not be appropriate for them.

Conversely my jaw dropped this morning, when switched on to the BBC Sunday Morning Live show. There was a young author promoting her book on sex, I think she was also a comedian, - it was her mode of dress that threw me. She wore an elegant head scarf, but then there was more flesh on display than not ! a tiny spaghetti strapped very short dress, with shoulders and plenty of decollate on show, and lots of leg with ankle boots. I know young Muslim girls can mostly choose their form of dress, but it was the headscarf of modesty and a look of going out clubbing that confused me.

Latest posts

Back