CE takes on KA

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
i wondered how long it would be.

there will be many whop love the idea of the kitchen aid but cant justify £450 or whatever it is. CE come up with a potentially viable alternative for a quarter of the price.

ok it doesnt have the kudos of a KA but for that price its a no-brainer init

I have to say I'm actually tempted by this. I'm thinking of doing a pastry/baking evening course after christmas and this would certainly be a useful piece of kit at home. I am one who can't justify the KA as I'm only starting out in baking at the mo!

PS can someone tell me if its noisy, I'm at a computer with no sound so cant judge if it would scare the cat to death (very nervous cat!). lol

Last edited:
I may well be breaking my year long embargo on buying from QVC to give it a try as my 30 year old Kitchen aid went up in smoke last week and I can't justifiy spending £100's on a new one.
So I am going to go for it on easy pay and if it is rubish it will go straight back.

i wondered how long it would be.

there will be many whop love the idea of the kitchen aid but cant justify £450 or whatever it is. CE come up with a potentially viable alternative for a quarter of the price.

ok it doesnt have the kudos of a KA but for that price its a no-brainer init
Yes I agree Burlz, but you're missing the important kudos selling point....would it tempt anyone to pose with it as their avatar?? :dull:

Well I cancelled my Kipling bag on advanced order and went for this. I'm going to call this my xmas pressie to myself! I went for the red!

I just caught a quick look at a demo, when he turned it on to mix a cake, it seemed to spatter the mix over his hand and the control.....:cheeky:

Yess SallyMc, I saw that too, - I was tempted until I noticed that; and the actual unit looked to be made of plastic (like a child's toy), I doubt if it is, but for £100 it makes you think, you pays yer money ...................................

I saw the repeat this morning and they put a chart up about how much time you save as opposed to mixing by hand. On the list was Christmas Cake. It looks a bit lightweight to me and I imagine it will dance round the kitchen with a Christmas Cake mix in there. It's a nice ornament but it's cheap for a reason.

I noticed the spatter too. It also looked a bit too light and juddery, and as brissles said, like a child's toy.

Yess SallyMc, I saw that too, - I was tempted until I noticed that; and the actual unit looked to be made of plastic (like a child's toy), I doubt if it is, but for £100 it makes you think, you pays yer money ...................................

We were 50/50 whether to go for it, but the 'Child's toy' description has made our minds up. We're not gonna bother.

The egg white demo was classic still runny after 4 mins :grin::grin: the fact they keep walking away from the unit when switching it on (using this as a sales message that you can cross your arms) indicates to me it's probably as noisy as hell :grin:

Yes I agree Burlz, but you're missing the important kudos selling point....would it tempt anyone to pose with it as their avatar?? :dull:

You called, Ma'am?
Do you think KA will send me some free stuff for expressing my love so openly for the last couple of years?
...Or do you think they will think I'm a daft old tart......probably best if you don't reply....:rock::rock::rock:

I've been thinking of investing in some kind of a stand mixer as I'm getting more into home baking, I contemplated the TSV this morning, but I think when it comes to motorised stuff you tend to get what you pay for. I'm not sure this'll be going in 40 years time like my MIL's Kenwood :thinking:. Then again I've only ever had one iron and that was purchased from the Argos value range for about £6 seventeen years ago when I went to university (it was a gift from my father, my mother on the other hand bought me a Wonderbra - I think they had very different expectations for my undergrad years :giggle:)

Whilst I debate the stand mixer once more I've just purchased this for my four year old in the ELC sale: http://www.elc.co.uk/Food-Mixer-and-Accessories/130358,default,pd.html Comes to something when he gets a KitchenAid before me :dull: :grin:

I've been thinking of investing in some kind of a stand mixer as I'm getting more into home baking, I contemplated the TSV this morning, but I think when it comes to motorised stuff you tend to get what you pay for. I'm not sure this'll be going in 40 years time like my MIL's Kenwood :thinking:. Then again I've only ever had one iron and that was purchased from the Argos value range for about £6 seventeen years ago when I went to university (it was a gift from my father, my mother on the other hand bought me a Wonderbra - I think they had very different expectations for my undergrad years :giggle:)

Whilst I debate the stand mixer once more I've just purchased this for my four year old in the ELC sale: http://www.elc.co.uk/Food-Mixer-and-Accessories/130358,default,pd.html Comes to something when he gets a KitchenAid before me :dull: :grin:

I'm in the same boat ArtDeco, I'm relatively new to home baking, and I want something that will make life a bit easier! I would dearly love a KA but cant afford it at the mo. I agree I doubt this will be going strong in 40 years however hopefully it will be a good starter and one day I can get a KA. I'm going to give it a go and the good thing is I can send it back if its not what I want or up to scratch. The easy pay was the deciding factor as I only need to cough up £40 this month to try it and if its good then I have two smaller payments to make.

I say if you can afford the KA then go for it! Quality is worth paying for but only if you can afford to do so!

I'm in the same boat ArtDeco, I'm relatively new to home baking, and I want something that will make life a bit easier! I would dearly love a KA but cant afford it at the mo. I agree I doubt this will be going strong in 40 years however hopefully it will be a good starter and one day I can get a KA. I'm going to give it a go and the good thing is I can send it back if its not what I want or up to scratch. The easy pay was the deciding factor as I only need to cough up £40 this month to try it and if its good then I have two smaller payments to make.

I say if you can afford the KA then go for it! Quality is worth paying for but only if you can afford to do so!

Totally agree! The KitchenAid is lovely but not cheap. I considered doing the same thing with this TSV - I think this is one of those instances where the 30day MBG (especially the collection if you return it) comes into its own. I have just a hand mixer but standing there with it over the bowl is getting a bit dull :giggle:. But the KitchenAid is quite an investment if you're just starting out. I almost want to fast forward in a Back to the Future fashion and see if 35 years down the line it's still going strong having fed a family (then again, maybe not, don't want a peek at the lines and wrinkles nor see how much I'll have turned into my own mother by then :sweat: :grin:)

Please let me know how you get on with it? :wave:

Latest posts

Back