Charlie Brook

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humans can decide whether they are cruel to other living beings or not. Animal are not, they kill because they need to eat or its the instinct to hunt. Human do it for fun.

Personally if I found someone being cruel to an animal or a child, I would be very inventive in my cruelty to them.

So when a fox goes and destroys a coup of chickens, it's doing it for survival, is it? Does a fox need to eat 30 chickens in one sitting? Or is it committing its acts for something other than self-sufficiency? The animal world is far from perfect. We are in some ways a type of animal ourselves. The problem is that we don't often use our capacity to think and reason in the right way. We act more ourselves on base animal desires / instincts - psychological programs that hark back to the beginning of time. Look beyond the veneer of civilisation in humanity and you have some similar mindsets to that of animalia. Some of the sheer ignorance on this forum is at times breathtaking! There are some lovely people on here though. I guess the vindictive ones who don't like their views and notions challenged are acting in a Maslovian way. They want to belong to a group, a herd or tribe and when their tribe (opinions) are threatened, THEY feel personally threatened. That's a trait of animals, too! Seems not to be much difference there, really!

How do you know that these people feeding pigeons don't go on to Help The Aged and help them by buying them food, how do I know? because I do it. Why do you assume people who help cats don't help children too, why with you is it either, or? Can't people help many things at the same time? Who's trying to be "all sweetness and light"? As far as I can tell, History is sweetness and light, that's how her comments come across as a nice person, just like yours come across as horrible with you not being a very nice person and it was me who said you're full of hate. Yes of course speak your mind, I hope when you kill a bird that won't leave your room it leaves you with some sort of sadness, but I sincerely doubt it, but I ask myself, it takes some doing for a bird to fly into a room so are you tempting them in? Who knows but by the sound of your comments, it's not beyond possibility. So others are preaching but you comment? Hypocrite.

I'm not saying it always is an either / or choice, or that it particularly has to be, however with the scale of human suffering / starvation in the world it seems a little odd to me to be feeding pigeons at all. They are a little lower in my pecking order (excuse the pun). I'm sure they'd get food somehow. If someone wants to throw the odd slice of bread - fine, but those people that sit in city centres and enjoy being covered in creepy, parasite-riddled pigeons - they are not right in the head. Maybe I am a hypocrite though. I don't like rats yet I do like squirrels. I leave nuts for them on my window sill sometimes. I think they are graceful and nicer than many creatures. I once saw a white squirrel that was beautiful. If I had squirrels in my attic I would probably have them relocated. I went to Chiswick House the other day and it was nice to see the squirrels foraging and scurrying around. I can't say I would have been as pleased to see rats. If I had rats I would probably exterminate them. Yet squirrels are essentially from the genus sciurus - a rodent!

Some animal rights extremists are not that different to "religious" terrorists. They latch onto something and jump onto a bandwagon, often failing to see reason because they are so focused on their narrow perspective. Some awful atrocities have been committed by animal rights extremists and anti-abortion groups etc. Many people who preach animal rights themselves eat meat and meat by-products that have been produced and reared under the most terrible conditions. Don't you DARE preach to me when you don't realise where that chicken on your plate came from, fools! And please don't tell me you would gladly tolerate fleas / rats / mice and bedbugs in your house, 'cos you would not! I am all for animal rights generally, but try to temper this with some sense of priority. In my world humans take priority. If I can help a starving child or a starving cat, the child gets my support. If I had to choose between supporting a cat or a paedophile / rapist / murder / abuser I would support the cat first. I deplore abortion. I think it's wrong in almost all but a limited certain specific cases. I don't think that makes it right to go and blow up surgeons' cars! If a woman is raped or there is clear scientific proof that continuing a pregnancy could cause physical harm to mother or child, abortion may be justified. If a woman wants to use abortion almost like a means of contraception, that is totally unethical. Many people who take animal rights to extreme have been wronged by humans and shun them in favour of animals who provide a more unconditional kind of companionship and lack capacity to deceive. We have much to learn from animals but please do not forget the barbarity that goes on in the animal kingdom. I encourage people to take a broader view and look at their own issues before condemning others simply because they don't fit your narrow agenda. I'm not vegetarian. I eat organic beef once or twice a month. I check the husbandry and rearing. I act charitably where I can, where I can know and see it making a tangible difference. Do I give a damn about pigeons and rats? Not particularly, no! If I saw a pigeon with a broken wing and it was suffering, would I help it? Absolutely yes. I'm not claiming to be a perfect person but I do try to take a broader view than many people do. I have many reasons to have given up on the world, yet I haven't done so. There are probably more wonderful things than there are negative dross, but I'm not scared to exercise common sense and good judgement. So for all you ignorant people bestowing me with your "pity" that you "don't want to be patronising" (which in itself seems inherently patronising) go and stick your pity where the sun doesn't shine. You don't know me from Adam. Sort your own life out and be true to yourself!

Totally agree with every single word Julius

I'm not an animal rights activist at all.All I was saying about pigeons and foxes and so called vermin is our lifestyles over the years have allowed them to thrive in our urban communities.Ive never lived in the country side so only know about the city.

I don't however feed the birds or foxes because I know that adds to the problem.I dont eat fast food in the street and drop it on the ground ,it adds to the problem .I do my bit to prevent them.I don't want to exterminate them though just because they encroach on my lifestyle a bit.

There's more than one way of looking at things.

Foxes don't kill all of the chickens for pleasure - it is instinct.

Cats don't 'play' with their prey as a game - it's to hone their hunting skills.

Humans don't kill just for food - we hunt, use dogs and birds in fighting, force horses to race until their hearts burst etc - plus... it's own type of 'ugly'... the fur trade.

But what is the worst of the worst for me is the intensive farming and inhumane slaughter processes of living creatures so that we can have cheap food. Now that is the height of selfishness and cruelty for me.

And Julius likes to mock people with lisps for fun. Is that cruelty? He has the choice to do it or not.

Lots of pensioners feed pigeons and foxes and badgers. So should they be punished for their act of kindness? I do not think so.

Oh and this thread was about Charlie, but has now gone off course. Julius you should pay your fees to this site and discuss what you want down in the VIP area.

Oh and when have you see a animal activists as suicide bombers? You said they where the same as religionist terrorists.

Perhaps you should calm down and actually read my post before you sound off. By the way, still mocking people with lisps, are you? Just a reminder: we are all entitled to our opinions, it's a forum, and I think the award for any membership of Preachers Corner might just be yours! Thanks for reminding me about my subscription to the Bedbug Preservation Society - but no need, my cheque's already in the post.:mysmilie_59:

I wouldn't say I'm encouraging cruelty to anyone or anything. I just believe that there is a chain of priority. It seems strange to me to see people feeding pigeons. I don't see them as nice creatures. I don't like rats either. I have nothing particularly against cats but I just believe it more important to help children who are at risk, or elderly people who cannot eat. I would place the rights of many domestic animals more highly above many types of humans who commit certain types of crimes. I wouldn't say I am full of hate - I just like some creatures more than others and try to prioritise certain things in life, as probably most people, including yourself, do. I am not one of those people that views everything as God's creatures. If there is a fly in my room I will open the window and usher it out. If it doesn't leave - it's dead! Please don't try and pretend to be all sweetness and light because it's just cannot be true. I speak my mind and I'm sorry if you don't like that. I try to realise that some things are of more value than others. People can subscribe to the Bedbug Protection Society if they want to, but I won't be joining.
This is a forum for people to express their views but it's not Preachers' Corner.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for granting me sainthood, Callmewhatever. Coming from someone like you, it obviously means so much.... :mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17:

Thought I'd stick up for him as you no longer will, and besides you have selective reading, read his comment again, he doesn't mention killing birds at all... he said he kills flies, which i'm sure even saint shopperholic has done at some point.

I don't agree with many things in this world, but Julius did make some good points, and for once so did you... but I don't see why you have to need to argue with everyone if their views are different to yours. Anyway, that's all I'm saying.

And the award for putting the "Preacher" into Preachers Corner goes to.............

:mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15:
Some animal rights extremists are not that different to "religious" terrorists. They latch onto something and jump onto a bandwagon, often failing to see reason because they are so focused on their narrow perspective. Some awful atrocities have been committed by animal rights extremists and anti-abortion groups etc. Many people who preach animal rights themselves eat meat and meat by-products that have been produced and reared under the most terrible conditions. Don't you DARE preach to me when you don't realise where that chicken on your plate came from, fools! And please don't tell me you would gladly tolerate fleas / rats / mice and bedbugs in your house, 'cos you would not! I am all for animal rights generally, but try to temper this with some sense of priority. In my world humans take priority. If I can help a starving child or a starving cat, the child gets my support. If I had to choose between supporting a cat or a paedophile / rapist / murder / abuser I would support the cat first. I deplore abortion. I think it's wrong in almost all but a limited certain specific cases. I don't think that makes it right to go and blow up surgeons' cars! If a woman is raped or there is clear scientific proof that continuing a pregnancy could cause physical harm to mother or child, abortion may be justified. If a woman wants to use abortion almost like a means of contraception, that is totally unethical. Many people who take animal rights to extreme have been wronged by humans and shun them in favour of animals who provide a more unconditional kind of companionship and lack capacity to deceive. We have much to learn from animals but please do not forget the barbarity that goes on in the animal kingdom. I encourage people to take a broader view and look at their own issues before condemning others simply because they don't fit your narrow agenda. I'm not vegetarian. I eat organic beef once or twice a month. I check the husbandry and rearing. I act charitably where I can, where I can know and see it making a tangible difference. Do I give a damn about pigeons and rats? Not particularly, no! If I saw a pigeon with a broken wing and it was suffering, would I help it? Absolutely yes. I'm not claiming to be a perfect person but I do try to take a broader view than many people do. I have many reasons to have given up on the world, yet I haven't done so. There are probably more wonderful things than there are negative dross, but I'm not scared to exercise common sense and good judgement. So for all you ignorant people bestowing me with your "pity" that you "don't want to be patronising" (which in itself seems inherently patronising) go and stick your pity where the sun doesn't shine. You don't know me from Adam. Sort your own life out and be true to yourself!

would everyone please remember: don't you very DARE!:mysmilie_11:

You don't know me from Adam. Sort your own life out and be true to yourself!

Polite cough...

What was the matter with Charlie's back, anyway?

thatu, when he talked about it on the Charlie Bears hour once, he mentioned his lower back (perhaps disk problem, maybe?). I also recall another presenter saying he'd had to go home mid-shift because of back problems, and that seems like ages (years) ago, so I'd guess he's had it for quite a while.

You don't know me from Adam. Sort your own life out and be true to yourself!

Polite cough...

What was the matter with Charlie's back, anyway?

Thanks so much for granting me sainthood, Callmewhatever. Coming from someone like you, it obviously means so much.... :mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17:

I'm so sorry H I don't know how to break it to you but........comment number 38 was meant for me, oh I feel awful now, I know how you'd have valued it, as if! :mysmilie_17: also looks like the removal of "personal attack" comments is a selective one doesn't it..............I want to share my sainthood with you though, no! no! I insist. :mysmilie_15:

Oh come on - these spats are just getting boring now.

It's not the actual relevant comments on any subject - everyone has a right to voice an opinion - it's the ganging up and patting each other on the back for being clever - that's just childish.

Oh come on - these spats are just getting boring now.

It's not the actual relevant comments on any subject - everyone has a right to voice an opinion - it's the ganging up and patting each other on the back for being clever - that's just childish.

let them have their fun, it makes no difference to me what they think.
I do however find it hilarious that if i comment on their ganging up on someone its classed as a personal attack but for them to do its just normal.. haha... double standards.

Read comment #38, totally unnecessary and uncalled for. I rest my case. Don't worry though I'm used to getting singled out by one of you or the other but that's something we have in common, because I'm not bothered either. That's me done on this thread.

Last edited:
Now I have sainthood I'm hear to listen to your every problem, Callmewhatever. A nice cup of tea might help you..:mysmilie_50::angel:
let them have their fun, it makes no difference to me what they think.
I do however find it hilarious that if i comment on their ganging up on someone its classed as a personal attack but for them to do its just normal.. haha... double standards.

Are you sure you can spare some of your sainthood? I can't tell you how delighted I was to feel that a fellow forumite had such a very high opinion of me....to think (gasp)..that I could (sob)...have been mistaken.....No!!!! I feel the halo slipping already...:mysmilie_50::mysmilie_50:

I'm so sorry H I don't know how to break it to you but........comment number 38 was meant for me, oh I feel awful now, I know how you'd have valued it, as if! :mysmilie_17: also looks like the removal of "personal attack" comments is a selective one doesn't it..............I want to share my sainthood with you though, no! no! I insist. :mysmilie_15:

Are you sure you can spare some of your sainthood? I can't tell you how delighted I was to feel that a fellow forumite had such a very high opinion of me....to think (gasp)..that I could (sob)...have been mistaken.....No!!!! I feel the halo slipping already...:mysmilie_50::mysmilie_50:

Yes together we're a pair of............saints :mysmilie_17: Don't let it get you down though H, the Worry Angels will see you through this trying time (sob, I'm filling up now!). :mysmilie_512:

I've read every single one of the comments, and to be fair, everyone is right in their own way ! Those that might not agree with Julius would be hard pushed not to agree with this comment in one of his statements...............

In my world humans take priority. If I can help a starving child or a starving cat, the child gets my support. If I had to choose between supporting a cat or a paedophile / rapist / murder / abuser I would support the cat first.

I too love all creatures - (except the ****** Staffy that threatened to assassinate my Border terrier pup) - but we all have different levels of tolerance, so there are no winners or losers.

Charlie's back ? again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back