Clearance in General

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ant7t

Registered Shopper
I see clearance has been mentioned in the QVC forum, but haven't 'done' QVC for years, so here I will put it. When it comes to clearance, assuming it's genuine, like a sale every other day being the best sale ever in the year so far: until the next one :p But, does a clearance come through 'over-stock' thinking it would be more popular, or because it wasn't a very popular collection? Yes, I know that's basically the same thing, but I've seen collections, 'affordable' or otherwise, that I think, 'what, this again?' And then, there are those that just disappear without much fanfare.

'Clearance' is a deceiving term because most people associate it as meaning items are discounted or in a sale.

However, I remember someone referring the old Bid TV / Price Drop channels for selling items in 'clearance' shows for the same price as they sold during normal shows. The ASA did not uphold the complaints, stating that 'clearance' simply means that they're selling remaining stock rather than implying that there is a sale.

Take Gemporia's old 'The Lounge' channel for example - it was a clearance channel, and whilst some items sold for a lot less than they did on Gems TV, I also saw some items go for considerably more.

So, it a nutshell, 'clearance' means absolutely nothing in selly-telly world. People think it means 'sale'. The channels know people think it means 'sale' - so they over-use the term to imply there's a sale knowing that they can do so legally without the fear of being done for misleading.

So, it a nutshell, 'clearance' means absolutely nothing in selly-telly world. People think it means 'sale'. The channels know people think it means 'sale' - so they over-use the term to imply there's a sale knowing that they can do so legally without the fear of being done for misleading.
Thanks. So, when they do sales proper and they say no price pledges etc, would they try to do that on clearance too? Implying it's a sale when it's not? Can't say I've noticed.

Thanks. So, when they do sales proper and they say no price pledges etc, would they try to do that on clearance too? Implying it's a sale when it's not? Can't say I've noticed.

Sales 'should' actually mean that they're reduced items - but the only decent sales at Gemporia seem to be in January, when they do actually seem to throw out some gold jewellery at good prices.

The other supposed 'sales' throughout the don't seem to be as generous - with minimal difference between the original price and the 'sale' price.

Sales 'should' actually mean that they're reduced items - but the only decent sales at Gemporia seem to be in January, when they do actually seem to throw out some gold jewellery at good prices.

The other supposed 'sales' throughout the don't seem to be as generous - with minimal difference between the original price and the 'sale' price.
Sometimes they have a sale then another sale, then no sale then another. To the point where you think, what another one? Yes, no one dislikes a bargain, but surely there's sales and over-sales.

Sometimes they have a sale then another sale, then no sale then another. To the point where you think, what another one? Yes, no one dislikes a bargain, but surely there's sales and over-sales.
Yep, that's why I don't trust them now. Those sales items often sell for the same price as they do in non-sales hours.

The only times I see genuine bargains in sales now are just before Christmas (once the deadline for sending by Christmas day has passed) and just after Christmas for a week or so. There used to be some good sales during the birthday weeks too - but the last two birthdays have been quite poor.

Yep, that's why I don't trust them now. Those sales items often sell for the same price as they do in non-sales hours.
I recall not too far in the distant past, buying something, can't remember what, but buying it for a 'good' price. At a later point, maybe a fortnight or month, can't remember, the very same item was on sale, as 'the first time it has been on air' and it was dearer than when I bought it.

I recall not too far in the distant past, buying something, can't remember what, but buying it for a 'good' price. At a later point, maybe a fortnight or month, can't remember, the very same item was on sale, as 'the first time it has been on air' and it was dearer than when I bought it.
That happened a few times to me. Usually Adina selling it and breathlessly exclaiming how it was at its lowest ever price, or an introductory price as a special one-off never to be repeated...and I'd bought it cheaper a week or two before!

Latest posts

Back