Check the dimensions!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
John Lewis had a deal online last week that stated spend £50+ in a single transaction and receive a google nest worth £49.99 for £10! Wow, I thought...My friend very difficult to buy for has a birthday quite soon and keeps saying she wouldn't mind one of these. I couldn't think of anything I needed though for £50+, but then thought xmas! - OH wants to replace the clunking big radio he's got on the bathroom shelf...it's dab but takes 6 d sized batteries, the controls are all on top, so awkward to get to on shelf and it's a heavy thing. Searched the website and found a smaller looking Sony dab with all the presets, dab etc and a built in rechargeable battery...it was pricey at £83 but thought....it will be his main pressie so ok. When it turned up...I was gobsmakcked….it fit into the palm of my hand with room to spare! I don't have big hands btw!....£83..no way! Then realised that should I return it will they dock the full price of the google from my refund? Didn't read the t's and c's there either....obvs they need to safeguard themselves against people deliberately ordering stuff they don't want just to make use of the offer. Cut a long story short, I called customer service who said I could return the radio for a full refund and keep hold of the offer...so relieved about that..but lesson learned - read the dimensions of everything you buy (not just furniture) and read the small print. I was lucky this time, I thought they'd make me return the google nest if I wanted the full refund or at least insist I made an alternative purchase for the qualifying amount. The picture of the radio was so deceiving..there's no way you could tell it was so tiny..but as I said..lesson learned!

Last edited:
Decided that a new radio for the bathroom is a bad idea anyway 'cos the big clunking one we've got may not be very pleasing to look at and the controls are awkward but it's got really good sound, so pretty pointless getting something else that might not be anywhere as good. Made that mistake last xmas when I upgraded his nespresso machine only to find out that the old one makes better coffee! Decided to get one of those hideously expensive hot chocolate velvetisers as he makes his own hot chocolate with real chocolate and a milk frother and it's a messy process.. I'm glad the two places I checked it was out of stock 'cause reading the reviews it appears that it makes lukewarm drinks and you can't use anything but flaked chocolate...palaver..so I've ditched that idea. I saw an all singing all dancing version of the kindle...but he's got a decent kindle paperwhite and he seems pretty happy with it. In the end I have ordered him a really nice and expensive personalised ball point pen, a lovely big personalised wine glass and some fragrance..so something for him to lose, break, and splash on...but hopefully he'll like. I do xmas shopping early every year to get the stress out of the way early. I think we really should just stop buying each other xmas pressies..neither of us need or want anything..but you know how it is..I know he'd buy me stuff and I'd feel guilty. I've still got a couple of people to buy for but my main stressy presents are now sorted thank God!

Latest posts

Back