Christmas, already...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's the Christmas trees being set up that gets me - as TJC did in July! Thought I'd overslept by 5 months when I saw it, and I think it's just stupid to do the full Christmas trees and decorations thing. Ok, if they want to bring on some reasonably-priced gifts for those who like to start early to buy, fair enough (although it's not for me, I'm afraid). Last year, in about mid-November, TJC brought on some men's watches and leather wallets, key rings, and women's leather purses, as well as the usual jewellery bits. I bought a set of ladies watches from them almost 2 years ago when they had a sort of Xmas gift day in November, all different coloured straps, and they've been very good, also a teddy bear pendant for a young niece, which she just loved and still wears. But for me, having Christmas days in the summer and now the early autumn, is overkill, especially when they get the deccies and tree out.

I agree with being prepared but do we need Christmas themed days to do it .I am quite capable of buying presents as I see them without the blatant Christmas nagging .This goes for all shops too.By the time Christmas Day arrives I am sick of it.

Julius, lovely image of RJ dressed as an elf fills my mind reading your post - gave me a good laugh. Santa's Little Helper - replace the word 'Helper' with your own choice of word. Perhaps he'll be snapped up for Panto this year?:mysmilie_15:

I'm fizzing with sheer excitement at the anticipation of all the usual Christmas goodies. In fact I can hardly wait for those offerings that make life just that little more...special...like a Thomas Pacconi nativity scene with the beads of glue and cheap Chinese woodwork resplendent for all to see, then there's the flameless candles. Why get them for 99p on the dreaded "High Street" when you can pay 20 quid plus P&P? Then there's the Christmas song compilation CD with Tony Blackburn on as a guest presenter. Oooh then there's the overpriced "premium" meat - namely a few Fray Bentos pies and mediocre sausages blast chilled and delivered to your doorstep in horrid polystyrene for just £99.89. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get Richard Jackson dressed up like one of Santa's little gnomes, I mean elves, sounding like he's swallowed a pocketful of emery boards as he tries to flog us an overpriced amaryllis / poinsettia. Flippin' terrific.

I love all things Chrismassy so I love Christmas shows.

I've got a 'Christmas Cupboard' which I add to throughout the year when I see a pressie that I think is right for someone on my list.

Asda has got its Christmas jumpers in already and I've bought this one... I shall be wearing it as soon as December dawns! :mysmilie_13:

http://direct.asda.com/george/men/j...n-christmas-jumper/G005190126,default,pd.html

When I was in Dobbies last Saturday they had the shelves and floor cleared and were putting put Christmas trees, decorated and lit. The shelves were being filled with all things Christmas.

Tooooooooooo early by a long chalk

If I buy gifts in advance I find I go off them and end up buying something else so no savings there.

But I do understand how if you have a large number to buy for the sooner the better for spreading cost and saving time. It's just that we can buy gifts without the place coming down with themed tat.

I've done my Christmas shopping so absolutely nothing QVC can offer will tempt me. Unless, of course, it's something fantastic for under a tenner with free p&p. :mysmilie_59:

Our local garden centre was setting out the xmas decorations this weekend.

Very depressing.

I can't stand the QVC Xmas Girls cheap sparkly tat, and frenzied bonhomie. Xmas music in shops brings me out in a rash, and i really hate the advice to buy party clothes, makeup and perfume. Abby shrieking about gift phones and wrapping paper.

Don't they want to be clean and pleasantly dressed and nicely smelling all year round?

I love Xmas. Friends. Family. Free time. Long crisp dog walks. Good food. Good will.
But i watch much less QVC Oct-Dec, because it is better for my blood pressure!

Christmas-themed shows don't make any difference to my shopping habits with the one exception of the different ideas for children's gifts. One or 2 items from QVC have always gone down well.

I love Christmas. But I like to collect my decorations... bought in store, a couple of items at a time. Often I find lovely items in our local garden centre in the January sales. So Bethlehem lights, Jill's gimmicks are out.

I like to make my own sets of beauty items (matching or complementing each other-always from the same brand) for friends and family. I do this usually with L'Occitane, ABC or philosophy. I choose well priced sets where I like some for myself but put some in my present box. Yankee Candles... I know which of my peeps like them and Q can be good for that. A duo or trio where I can keep one that I want and give the other(s) as gifts. Occasionally a funny gift from QVC (wintertrax went down well a few years back).

Amazon also supplies my shopping... especially the kids. I really wish I had the time to hit the high street at weekend's. But I don't. There is just too much going on. Instead I will plan a trip with mum to Gloucester Quays outlet and do the rest online. With a January trip to Wyvale of course :)

One thing I've learned the hard way - internet shopping for Christmas which isn't done by the end of November is very hit and miss. The demand far exceeds the supply of delivery agents... every year all the companies take on more people to cope with the demand, but it grows in excess of their provision (and of course the casual nature of the work can sometimes mean that the level of service actually gets worse than it would normally be... so riskier than ever.

I've been forced to pay for a premium service to guarantee I get my online orders if the orders have been placed in December from Amazon in the past. My rule is - not ordered before end of November? Dreaded high street here I come!

Wise words MM! When DD was about 6 she'd listed for Santa nearly everything in the Letterbox catalogue (fab toys if it's still going). Well Christmas eve morning still no sign and I was working all day so it was touch and go whether I'd have to panic buy stuff for her to open in my 30 mins lunch hour. But at the strike of noon it all arrived. :mysmilie_1: :mysmilie_486:

A good few years ago the Buzz Lightyear toy was *the* thing to have.

My cousin spent every free hour and travelled hundreds of miles to get that for his #1 son - he's still traumatised by the memories and we still joke about it.

He learnt the hard way that it's better to say 'let's see what Santa can fit in his sack' rather than 'yes, you can have xxx'.

A good few years ago the Buzz Lightyear toy was *the* thing to have.

My cousin spent every free hour and travelled hundreds of miles to get that for his #1 son - he's still traumatised by the memories and we still joke about it.

He learnt the hard way that it's better to say 'let's see what Santa can fit in his sack' rather than 'yes, you can have xxx'.

I like Christmas as much as anyone, but every year they start earlier and earlier - HO HO HO!!

I've got friends who were super-savvy from when their kids were little. There were Santa presents, and there were presents from family.

Santa is too busy with all the millions of children around the world... so never wraps presents. Only family gifts are wrapped.

The hours and ££s of giftwrap that saved!

Well, the best thing about today's Countdown to Christmas event... I've not even glanced at QVC today. Wall to wall Christmas-themed shows. More hell on earth than peace on earth.

Cant believe these presenters the nonsense they come out with Craig this morning said can you believe that 3 months today will be christmas, what a load of bullshine so what is that supposed to mean why not say 4 months 5months is it supposed to mean something are we meant to do something, a lot of water will go under the bridge before christmas for us all Craig

Christmas is just an excuse for them to sell stuff. I hate Christmas insincerity. Last year my manager at work gave me a Christmas card. I gave it back to him and said: "I don't believe in you any more than I believe in Father Christmas." I hate all the fakeness just because it's a certain time of year and the whole forced enjoyment. It's almost like there's an unwritten contract that's non-negotiable, well I won't be party to that.

I'm not into Christmas on 25 December so sure as hell Im not into it in September or even earlier.

At the start Q was on nearly all the time and I bought like a woman with no arms. Then I bought less but still had it on in the background. Then I only watched shows I was really interested in. Now it is rarely on. Once in a while I will have a bit of a splurge if there are jewellery shows but that is few and far between now.

I wish a load of reindeer waste products on every presenter who says "you need to remember there's only 3 more paydays before Christmas". :angry:

Cant believe these presenters the nonsense they come out with Craig this morning said can you believe that 3 months today will be christmas, what a load of bullshine so what is that supposed to mean why not say 4 months 5months is it supposed to mean something are we meant to do something, a lot of water will go under the bridge before christmas for us all Craig

Latest posts

Back