Claire Sutton

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't like the colour, style or length of Claire's hair- I don't think its flattering.

That's my two penneth!

I remember when Claire's hair was much shorter than it is now and I think it definitely looked better than the length it is currently. But each to their own and if she prefers it longer then that's up to her, I think it needs a good couple of inches chopped off and maybe some layers as it does looked somewhat dated to me. As for her voice, don't get me started. She never used to talk quite so childishly in her early days, this seems to be something she has honed over the years. That said, she is one of the better presenters if you can overlook the voice.

Crinkly, you've reminded me of what Clare Sutton sounds like - a reception class teacher, talking to the tiny tots! It's patronising to talk 'down' this way to adults. I do feel for her in her private life, as I'm sure she has more than her work cut out for her with her son, and she has other kids and husband, a job too, but I do wish she'd be more natural and less pretentious, it must be quite stressful maintaining that silly giggly voice and manner. It doesn't make her appear younger, either, just like a middle-aged woman trying to mimic a 14-year-old.

She had her makeup done by someone else a week or so ago - possibly Tarte.
Such an improvement!
We are all told repeatedly by the presenters to vary and our makeup and move with the times, but CS doesn't take that lesson to heart.

I think her hair is thick, good condition and potentially lovely, but I have seen the effort it requires - huge rollers before every shift, and various products. I would love to see her as a normal person, without the 70s eyemakeup and bouffant hair.

I bet she would be just as lovely, just less diva ish. Her bone structure, figure and eye shape are excellent. The paint, dye and primary-school-teacher voice all make her less attractive, not more.

And yes, flat yellow blonde isn't a good look on many people.

Last edited:
Craftalot, I've had such a laugh reading your post! "Viscose bin-bag" - couldn't describe Q clothes better myself - to a T!!:mysmilie_19:

And that's what we like to call 'to the point'.

I don't know a single person who likes the baby voice thing, so it constantly surprises me that she keeps doing it. It's obviously some learnt behaviour from somewhere that's worked for her in a previous life, but she really ought to stop it on television. When you're trying to convince someone to part with a sizeable chunk of money for the next pot of grease or viscose bin-bag you're flogging, then you're best off not sounding like some 8 year old who wants some more sweeties. I think the cue for her to deal with her hair was when the revolting slug that is Basso growled at her 'I love your hair, it's Texas hair'...eeeww. Quick love: cut the bugger off before he comes pawing at you...

I think CS's hair is lovely but it is so old fashioned. I once saw her with a Ken (whatever his name) pixie wig and she looked great. Pippa is another one who suited short hair. Probably CS's husband likes the long blonde hair.
Her voice is really not appropriate for a grown woman but she is probably stuck with it now.

A|
I thought Claire looked lovely during the TSV launch with Steven Corfield. Her dress was very nice, and I thought she looked very healthy, even though she seems more of an early rather than late presenter. I didn't see her earlier in the evening to comment, as I've no interest in Clogau.

At least there were no smutty jokes as there are when Jill Franks is presenting.

i call my mum mummy

Do you do it on television, almost every hour? In a twee voice?

My mother would still like me to call her 'Mummy'. She thinks the word 'Mum' is common. Her opinion. Not mine.

I rebelled against this twee snobbery in my early teens and have not spoken the word since. The sound of grown up women calling their mother 'Mummy' sets my teeth on edge even now.

Your relationship, of course, does not carry this baggage. But i would find a grownup man calling his father 'Daddy' equally incongruous.

Last edited:
I always think the word "mummy" is very formal (circa Downton Abbey) and mum is a casual, loving term of endearment. Hearing my two grown up sons call me "mum" is the best sound in the world to me, dad feels the same (to dad obviously) :mysmilie_14:

Last edited:
My little one's call me mummy (3 & 5). I know they will start to call me mum soon enough. But for now I like being called mummy. It's a title I earned and cherish and strive for perfection in... but don't quite make it. The word "mum" is gradually starting to creep in every now and then. I don't like it. I want to be mummy for as long as possible. But as I did with my mum... I Will be called "mum" in a couple of years and that will be my identity for the rest of my born days. Until grandchildren call me "nanny" ( as my kids call my mum and as I called hers). And on it goes.

I'm "mum" which just evolved from "mummy" quite naturally and before they went to school. My mother is "Granma" to one and all except one sibling who calls her "Mummy" which I find embarrassing, maybe because it smacks of nursery talk. I'm easily distinguished from Granma because I've evolved into Grammie, which I like.

In any case, I don't think Claire is right to talk about "Mummy" - she's not your or my mummy, just Claire's, and we don't know her so I think it would be much more appropriate to talk about "my mother".

Re Jill Franks' non-alcohol status - does anyone else remember seeing her spit out something live on air because it contained what she thought was alcohol and saying something like, "Your're not going to trick me this way" - it may have been chocolates or something?

Latest posts

Back