Clogau gold

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ring was sourced in India

Teessvee, great re'source'fulness, checking with Q! Hope everyone who ordered, is delighted. Snarly x

Wonder how much Clogau gold there is in each piece of jewellery?

If you recall Bill Roberts, who bought the mine, and was QVC's first Clogau guest, he said it was 9%. Although I do own items from the range, I find it quite expensive for considering it is just 9ct gold with such a small amount of clogau gold in each piece. Customer Service from Clogau is first class and, as I make all of my purchases from them, that is important to me.

I doubt it is 9% now, probably a very small fraction of a percent with lots of zeroes.

Just had another email from QVC (strange I thought) do they read here?
Thank you for contacting QVC.

Sorry, we have sent you the wrong details. I have spoken to our Product
Team and they have advised we cannot say where the item was manufactured
but the gold is sourced in Wales and the Diamonds are from India.

You will may more information on the Clogau web site: Clogau

If we can help with anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

The thing is I did email Clogau and they didn't respond, why all the cloak and dagger?

Verrry interesting! And confusing! And it needn't be. We KNOW Clogau reads this forum as they responded on 23rd April. We are looking for clarification of 'overseas'. Simples.

If you look on QVC US and type in Clogau,they have details of the Kate/Diana engagement ring from last year.
Scroll down the details and right at the bottom it says "Made in China".
I have two Clogau rings ( from about 4 yrs ago ) which are white gold and which were anniversary presents.I thought they were stunning to start with until the white gold started to "fade"
and when I asked them to look at them,they told me they did'nt have any white gold to repair them and told me to take them to a local jewellers to be repaired!!!!
I lost faith in them then and then I found out they had their jewellery made in China.So this has really put me off from buying.

Thanks Maykitten, knew I had read on here previously about Made in China - found what you are referring to on the US website. It is clearly mentioned way down the page just above the pic of Princess Diana. The other point made by QVC in their reply to teessvee that the gold 'is sourced in Wales' is nonsense, the chap stated that they use 'world gold' and there is only a touch of welsh gold in each piece. World gold could be from anywhere......

Seems that Clogau are being deliberately very vague about where this brand is manufactured.....are they ashamed to reveal the truth to their British customers?

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...phire-Engagement-Ring-by-Clogau-Gold-14K-Gold

Well this is my last purchase from them (if I keep it) I have a connection with the area of the mine but as there is next to nothing of that gold in their items now and they are not even made in Wales I won't be getting anything else.

I found this on BBC News Tues. 25 Jan. 2005 - "Gold Company Moves Work To China ... Clogau Gold of Wales has confirmed that 14 jobs will go in North Wales as it switches production of gold jewellery to China. ... Company representatives said it was transferring work to the large Chinese factory to keep up with demand." The Clogau/QVC PR Departments could have saved us the work. And saved face. tut-tut

If you look on QVC US and type in Clogau,they have details of the Kate/Diana engagement ring from last year.
Scroll down the details and right at the bottom it says "Made in China".
I have two Clogau rings ( from about 4 yrs ago ) which are white gold and which were anniversary presents.I thought they were stunning to start with until the white gold started to "fade"
and when I asked them to look at them,they told me they did'nt have any white gold to repair them and told me to take them to a local jewellers to be repaired!!!!
I lost faith in them then and then I found out they had their jewellery made in China.So this has really put me off from buying.

There is no such thing as 'white gold'. All gold is yellow - the white, be it 9 or 18 ct is simply yellow gold with a rhodium coating. I love 'white' gold but this is one of the drawbacks when wearing it constantly. I wear a very expensive (bought in Switzerland) diamond w/g ring, and it has to be 're-coated' sometimes twice a year when the white starts to wear off.

Re welsh gold - I read years ago that there was only a very small nugget of gold left, which would be used solely for the purpose of royal wedding rings, and this was long before Clogau became commercially known.

I agree there "is no such thing as white gold" but my white gold wedding ring is now 45yrs old and has never had to be re-coated,but as my Clogau rings were only a few years old and were showing signs of wear,I was disappointed that Clogau showed no interest in repairing them.After all they are quite expensive.

The colour of gold can be changed from yellow to white, rose and even green by adding elements to it. White gold normally contains silver/nickel but even then it is not a bright white metal. It's usually rhodium plated, I think, and that's what wears off revealing the "white" gold underneath which is usually paler than yellow gold.

I've got white gold pieces that have mellowed with age but they're certainly not what I would call yellow gold. I've never had them replated. I've got other pieces that are as bright as they ever were. No idea why some mellow and some don't.

I'm also own a piece that is rose and green gold. I'd never seen green gold before but this piece was made in 1860 something and it's still distinctly green. And it was worn every day by the mother of the person I inherited it from. It's made from gold panned in the US gold rush.

The colour of gold can be changed from yellow to white, rose and even green by adding elements to it. White gold normally contains silver/nickel but even then it is not a bright white metal. It's usually rhodium plated, I think, and that's what wears off revealing the "white" gold underneath which is usually paler than yellow gold.

I've got white gold pieces that have mellowed with age but they're certainly not what I would call yellow gold. I've never had them replated. I've got other pieces that are as bright as they ever were. No idea why some mellow and some don't.

I'm also own a piece that is rose and green gold. I'd never seen green gold before but this piece was made in 1860 something and it's still distinctly green. And it was worn every day by the mother of the person I inherited it from. It's made from gold panned in the US gold rush.
Must be wonderful to own a piece with so much heritage. QVC have now sadly discontinued their range of jewellery with rose, yellow and green gold in many pieces. They were all from Black Hills Gold by Coleman, Rapid City South Dakota, and they say the green gold is produced by adding silver. I bought some of the pieces when they had a half price sale last year on the website.....needless to say the stock was cleared fairly quickly. An example below...

Attachments

• 697792 Black Hills.jpg
    697792 Black Hills.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 128
I will always regret not detting any Black hills stuff. Kept iffing and ahhing and then it was gone.

On Radio 4 today they mentioned purple gold. I'd never heard of it. Wiki states:

Purple gold (also called amethyst gold and violet gold) is an alloy of gold and aluminum rich in gold-aluminium intermetallic (AuAl2). Gold content in AuAl2 is around 79% and can therefore be referred to as 18 karat gold. Purple gold is more brittle than other gold alloys, as it is an intermetallic compound instead of a malleable alloy, and a sharp blow may cause it to shatter.[7] It is therefore usually machined and faceted to be used as a "gem" in conventional jewelry rather than by itself. At lower content of gold, the material is composed of the intermetallic and an aluminium-rich solid solution phase. At higher content of gold, the gold-richer intermetallic AuAl forms; the purple color is preserved to about 15% of aluminium. At 88% of gold the material is composed of AuAl and changes color. (The actual composition of AuAl2 is closer to Al11Au6 as the sublattice is incompletely occupied.)[2]

Anyone remember the chocolate gold (vaporized rose gold) Q sold?

I bought (still have) a wide chocolate gold ring from Q. It had a bronze hint about it.
Lovely ring, but I prefer narrow bands now.

Must be wonderful to own a piece with so much heritage. QVC have now sadly discontinued their range of jewellery with rose, yellow and green gold in many pieces. They were all from Black Hills Gold by Coleman, Rapid City South Dakota, and they say the green gold is produced by adding silver. I bought some of the pieces when they had a half price sale last year on the website.....needless to say the stock was cleared fairly quickly. An example below...

That's really nice. I do remember the Black Hills range but I think it was on it's way out when I first took any notice of it.

I don't know how to attach a picture. My ring is a grapes and leaves design. One half is rose and the other is green. Being so old and well worn the pattern is fading somewhat. I think the hallmark inside actually says Dakota.

I vaguely remember seeing chocolate gold but I certainly haven't seen violet gold.

Latest posts

Back