Credit cards / Amex (excuse rant)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That sounds a bit phoney to me. If they had been invested in taking Amex they would have specified that in the requirements. Plus, the system is currently dealing with the discrepancy. So unless they are only rolling out the system for new any new cards as they are entered, this doesn't sound feasible to me. And, I'm concerned that they only now are obfuscating credit card details! This means that entire credit card numbers have been available in clear text on their system for anyone to see.

That sounds a bit phoney to me. If they had been invested in taking Amex they would have specified that in the requirements. Plus, the system is currently dealing with the discrepancy. So unless they are only rolling out the system for new any new cards as they are entered, this doesn't sound feasible to me. And, I'm concerned that they only now are obfuscating credit card details! This means that entire credit card numbers have been available in clear text on their system for anyone to see.

You could be right. If they have got a new system, have they deliberately excluded Amex cards so they can phase them out and just blame the new system?

QVCs way of computerising is so archaic, they probably see dinosaurs pass the window whilst sitting at their desks.

Sorry I don't buy that answer!

The more I think about it, the more I think the same. I also thought it was really odd that when I said what I did about having to close my account if my only method of payment were Amex, he was pretty unapologetic and incredibly relaxed about the lost custom.

QVCs way of computerising is so archaic, they probably see dinosaurs pass the window whilst sitting at their desks.

Ha ha! Who else would invest in a new system and not make sure it could deal with Amex cards (which more and more people have) first?

This is a tinpot business if it doesn't offer Amex as a payment method. QVC is useless.

No more American Express payments

My Amex card was compromised last week and reissued. I thought all I had to do was give QVC my new number but apparently they no longer accept new or renewed American Express cards. This is disgraceful. I have been buying from QVC fir years but will be buying as little as possible in future. Easy, just don't watch.

My Amex card was compromised last week and reissued. I thought all I had to do was give QVC my new number but apparently they no longer accept new or renewed American Express cards. This is disgraceful. I have been buying from QVC fir years but will be buying as little as possible in future. Easy, just don't watch.

Join the club, Pauline. I've not been buying from QVC either since this happened to me. I was just going to post a link to the thread I started on the same subject but I see the threads have been merged (thanks, Admin).

I'm still suspicious about this new system they have. Since I last posted, all I've had from the CEO's office is an email following my letter, saying someone would be in touch. Someone from Customer Service then rang me a week later. He said the decision on the new system was taken high up in the company - they decided to go with it despite it not being any good for Amex cardholders so it does look likely they did it for cost reasons.

Boyd could not even be bothered to reply via his PA or something, and just got one of the flunkies (who was nice enough, to be fair) to call me, which I think is very poor. Still, it has strengthened my resolve to cut right down on QVC purchases or possibly stop altogether. I have not spent anything at QVC since all this. I have already cancelled two Auto Delivery programmes too - as there were a few deliveries still due on those right up to March 2017, that's about £200 worth of custom they've lost from me on ADs alone. I have even stopped buying Yankees from them which is unheard of for me! The whole episode has made me think a lot more carefully about what I buy, which is a good thing!

The CS guy said the CEO had taken my letter seriously and would speak to the Finance dept. I don't suppose he could care less but hey, it's their loss if I don't shop with them again so *raspberry*.

Join the club, Pauline. I've not been buying from QVC either since this happened to me. I was just going to post a link to the thread I started on the same subject but I see the threads have been merged (thanks, Admin).

I'm still suspicious about this new system they have. Since I last posted, all I've had from the CEO's office is an email following my letter, saying someone would be in touch. Someone from Customer Service then rang me a week later. He said the decision on the new system was taken high up in the company - they decided to go with it despite it not being any good for Amex cardholders so it does look likely they did it for cost reasons.

Boyd could not even be bothered to reply via his PA or something, and just got one of the flunkies (who was nice enough, to be fair) to call me, which I think is very poor. Still, it has strengthened my resolve to cut right down on QVC purchases or possibly stop altogether. I have not spent anything at QVC since all this. I have already cancelled two Auto Delivery programmes too - as there were a few deliveries still due on those right up to March 2017, that's about £200 worth of custom they've lost from me on ADs alone. I have even stopped buying Yankees from them which is unheard of for me! The whole episode has made me think a lot more carefully about what I buy, which is a good thing!

The CS guy said the CEO had taken my letter seriously and would speak to the Finance dept. I don't suppose he could care less but hey, it's their loss if I don't shop with them again so *raspberry*.

I would think to that this was done from the top and not some department head! Might even be a corporate move!

I have already cancelled two Auto Delivery programmes too - as there were a few deliveries still due on those right up to March 2017, that's about £200 worth of custom they've lost from me on ADs alone.

You raise an interesting point - will they contact all the auto-delivery customers (or easy pays), whose Amex card will expire soon, to ask how they'd like to pay for their future drops? Or, more likely, they'll just send out the aggressively worded letter that they use when one's card has expired between drops? There probably aren't many who only have an amex card and no others, but if I were in this situation I'd offer paypal (they don't use it). a cheque or postal order or an envelope of unmarked old fivers left under a bench outside the Adelphi in Liverpool on the next full moon! :werewolf::werewolf: :screamingpumpkin::witchbroom::werewolf::werewolf:

Perhaps there was poor Amex custmer demand they decided to do away with it.

The 'withfrawal method' for Amex customers should be seen as a contraceptive. It saves you from spending or makes you fnd better value deals from elsewhere.

You raise an interesting point - will they contact all the auto-delivery customers (or easy pays), whose Amex card will expire soon, to ask how they'd like to pay for their future drops? Or, more likely, they'll just send out the aggressively worded letter that they use when one's card has expired between drops? There probably aren't many who only have an amex card and no others, but if I were in this situation I'd offer paypal (they don't use it). a cheque or postal order or an envelope of unmarked old fivers left under a bench outside the Adelphi in Liverpool on the next full moon! :werewolf::werewolf: :screamingpumpkin::witchbroom::werewolf::werewolf:

I had an item on EP on a card which was up for renewal mid way. I never even thought about it (3 months away) but got a nasty letter and call from Q.

I've been in that situation, many years ago and couldn't believe how curt and rude their stock letter was. Cards expire FFS, it doesn't mean you're a fraudster which is how the accusing letter sounded. What made it worse, I'd already added the new card on the website but QVC's wonderful accounting system couldn't use the updated card details without ringing to apply it to the easypays owing!

So "Quality" has already going down the toilet for years!
"Value" - nuf said!
"Convenience?" -slow despatch, hit and miss delivery and now you can't even pay with the card of your choice!

Latest posts

Back