Credit cards / Amex (excuse rant)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I would think to that this was done from the top and not some department head! Might even be a corporate move!

Yes. The guy who called me said it had been considered by senior people before the decision on the new system was taken. He also said my letter had made a difference (of course it didn't!!) and the more letters they get, the more likely something will be done. I don't believe a word of it.

Yes. The guy who called me said it had been considered by senior people before the decision on the new system was taken. He also said my letter had made a difference (of course it didn't!!) and the more letters they get, the more likely something will be done. I don't believe a word of it.

I feel sorry for the CS staff. They must know the customers don't believe them, but they have to toe the line.

You raise an interesting point - will they contact all the auto-delivery customers (or easy pays), whose Amex card will expire soon, to ask how they'd like to pay for their future drops? Or, more likely, they'll just send out the aggressively worded letter that they use when one's card has expired between drops? There probably aren't many who only have an amex card and no others, but if I were in this situation I'd offer paypal (they don't use it). a cheque or postal order or an envelope of unmarked old fivers left under a bench outside the Adelphi in Liverpool on the next full moon! :werewolf::werewolf: :screamingpumpkin::witchbroom::werewolf::werewolf:

They have arranged to take the Easy Pays I still have outstanding from my new Amex card manually - ie usually the system would do it automatically but my card details can't be held on their records so someone will have to do it separately. They do like to make things difficult for themselves. I don't know if they will offer this to everyone else who is affected as time goes on but it will be very time-consuming for them if they do. The next Auto Delivery I am/was due, having cancelled others which would have been despatching this month, is the bareMinerals one (with the serum foundation) in December. I might call them nearer the time with my debit card details as a one-off payment, if they will accept that. I am really not sure what I'll do after that or if I am very tempted by something else they are offering, which does happen when I read this site, for example. Considering how much I usually buy every month, I can't believe I have resisted everything that's been on. Just goes to show what a healthy dose of annoyance can do for my spending habits and bank balance!

When they decide to do what they do with payment methods, do they consider how much they stand to lose in the process? So short-sighted.

There must be a very particular financial reason they don't offer paypal as a payment method... certainly it is one way to ensure that the buyer is UK based.

Perhaps there was poor Amex custmer demand they decided to do away with it.

The 'withfrawal method' for Amex customers should be seen as a contraceptive. It saves you from spending or makes you fnd better value deals from elsewhere.

I still don't get why they would potentially cut off a source of income, even if Amex is one of the least used methods of payment. I can't find very up-to-date information, but worldwide Amex cards are apparently used for 8-15% of transactions. Even 8% of QVC's sales is a lot of money!

"Withdrawal method" ha ha ha ha! It's worked for me - no little baby parcels turning up on my doorstep at the moment, delivered by the Hermes stork!

I had an item on EP on a card which was up for renewal mid way. I never even thought about it (3 months away) but got a nasty letter and call from Q.

I've been in that situation, many years ago and couldn't believe how curt and rude their stock letter was. Cards expire FFS, it doesn't mean you're a fraudster which is how the accusing letter sounded. What made it worse, I'd already added the new card on the website but QVC's wonderful accounting system couldn't use the updated card details without ringing to apply it to the easypays owing!

So "Quality" has already going down the toilet for years!
"Value" - nuf said!
"Convenience?" -slow despatch, hit and miss delivery and now you can't even pay with the card of your choice!

I am fortunate never to have received "the letter" for too many returns which everyone talks about, but this sounds like something equally insulting and unnecessary. They really don't like their customers, do they?

When they decide to do what they do with payment methods, do they consider how much they stand to lose in the process? So short-sighted.

There must be a very particular financial reason they don't offer paypal as a payment method... certainly it is one way to ensure that the buyer is UK based.

I can only imagine they don't take PayPal because of PayPal's fees - don't they charge 5%, or is that just private individuals on eBay? It is short-sighted though, yes. We wouldn't mind them cutting corners a little if they shaved a few quid of their P&P, would we now?

I am fortunate never to have received "the letter" for too many returns which everyone talks about, but this sounds like something equally insulting and unnecessary. They really don't like their customers, do they?

This is one of the downsides that seems to come with the fact that QVC do not do credit checks on their customers and do not enter into credit agreements, or come under the credit regulations. That would add a lot of cost to their business model... the downside is that the nearest they come to having credit bonafides is by asking for a valid credit or debit card for all orders... so at least they know you can afford to pay for things. Normally if I've used a card that will expire during either an AD or EP purchase, they won't let me use the card (in my past experience).

Surely they must factor in bad debtors when they set their prices, so there is no need for an aggressive tone when they remind you about a card that will expire?

This is one of the downsides that seems to come with the fact that QVC do not do credit checks on their customers and do not enter into credit agreements, or come under the credit regulations. That would add a lot of cost to their business model... the downside is that the nearest they come to having credit bonafides is by asking for a valid credit or debit card for all orders... so at least they know you can afford to pay for things. Normally if I've used a card that will expire during either an AD or EP purchase, they won't let me use the card (in my past experience).

Surely they must factor in bad debtors when they set their prices, so there is no need for an aggressive tone when they remind you about a card that will expire?

I had not considered the lack of credit checks or agreements before. Apart from the admin they avoid this way, is there another financial or legal reason?

I had not considered the lack of credit checks or agreements before. Apart from the admin they avoid this way, is there another financial or legal reason?
Could you imagine how many customers they may lose if they did credit checks, it could force that to reconsider their pricing policy or even.. And I like this bit... Go out of business in the UK...

I had not considered the lack of credit checks or agreements before. Apart from the admin they avoid this way, is there another financial or legal reason ?

Yes. Once they get above 4 interest free easy payments (or, if their system could cope 2 EPs on a 2-drop AD) they would have to comply with credit regulations, carry out credit checking, more reporting to HMRC etc. I just know that the 4 EP's keeps them below needing to comply with more onerous regulation... it also ties their hands on credit checking - they couldn't just decide to do credit checking to protect themselves (and other customers) and make the same offer as today without more scrutiny from the financial authorities. I am being a bit vague because I'm no expert in the detail of the law in this area...

That's exactly my understanding of the situation MML, more than 4 installments and they'd be classed as credit brokers (or whatever the latest term is). Over in the US QVC is able to offer 6 easy pays, but can you imagine how much of a mess folk could land themselves in buying a couple of 6 easypay items a month until the sh*t hits the fan and they can't meet the accumulated payments.

That's exactly my understanding of the situation MML, more than 4 installments and they'd be classed as credit brokers (or whatever the latest term is). Over in the US QVC is able to offer 6 easy pays, but can you imagine how much of a mess folk could land themselves in buying a couple of 6 easypay items a month until the sh*t hits the fan and they can't meet the accumulated payments.

I think in the US QVC does actually comply with whatever credit regulations they have. I find US regulations confusing, as they might be Federal, or they might be at State level. Anyway - QVC offer the QCard credit card, and they do credit check for that, if you read the small print. Read more about it here: http://www.qvc.com/content/featured/q-card-benefits.html

I think in the US QVC does actually comply with whatever credit regulations they have. I find US regulations confusing, as they might be Federal, or they might be at State level. Anyway - QVC offer the QCard credit card, and they do credit check for that, if you read the small print. Read more about it here: http://www.qvc.com/content/featured/q-card-benefits.html

Interesting about the QCard.

I have often thought QVC UK should have a loyalty scheme. But no, they just want our loyalty for nothing in return.

QVC UK used to run a Q card; not sure whether it was a credit card or more like a store card (probably the latter) but it was withdrawn.

Yes it was a credit card, it seems with a high interest rate. I have heard it was available at QVC UK in the very early days, its been mentioned whether true no idea.

On QVC US they have the insider a magazine you subscribe to yearly. It tells upcoming TSVs and you can buy them early, is sent out every month. I read their community forum and see people asking if they got their copy this month yet?

Latest posts

Back