Featherbed advice pls

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Toadette

Registered Shopper
I have a firm memory foam mattress on my bed and havent really settled into it since we got it and thats been well over a year now. Was just wondering if a featherbed would make it more comfortable.
There are so many to choose from too where do you start???

Id be grateful for any help and advice if anyone has tried them :wonder:

MTIA x

I am sleeping on a hard sofa bed and want a featherbed too. :star:

We loved our feather bed but then ditched it for a memory foam topper. It's far better imo.

I had a feather bed from 2006 to 2009. That was purely because my ex didn't like my mattress. He liked the feather bed; I didn't notice any difference. Apart from in the summer, when I got FAR too hot.

I got rid of the feather bed after I split with the ex: I now don't overheat in the summer :tongue:

Oh yes: they don't tell you that the feathers DO leak out, and you can feel them when you lie on them.

And it can "bunch up" under you, making your sleep uncomfortable.

But don't let me put you off! :smirk:

Last edited:
I loved my featherbed with the down topper...no leaking of feathers! Absolutely fantastic...fluffed it up each day, but could have left it. Was expensive, but then I do have a superking, but worth everypenny. Other half is asthmatic and never has any problem with NN, we also have pillows, again with down around, and quilt. It did eventually give out, and as we managed to pick up memory foam mattress at Warrington prior to, so now I am stuck with that. I overheat, struggle to move on it sometimes, would love my featherbed back!!!

They had a featherbed as a TSV last week. We got ours after the mattress on the new bed was too firm, the featherbed certainly makes it more comfy, but unless you fluff it up each day it does flatten down. The ones with a down topping rather than feathers are more comfy, the quills don't prick through, IMO, but they're more expensive.

This is very interesting as I am debating between a feather bed or a memory foam topper so am reading this thread keenly. Think I am too lazy to shake a feather bed every day but they do look enticing.Am trawling the net looking at mem foam toppers, don't think QVC do them and if they did I reckon the p and p would be horrendous!

I have a featherbed lovely when fluffed up but they do go flat after a nights sleep. If I remember I try and fluff up in-between. The feathers do poke through. Like sleeping on a cloud - never slept on a cloud so couldn't verify the presenter's claim on that one!!

This is very interesting as I am debating between a feather bed or a memory foam topper so am reading this thread keenly. Think I am too lazy to shake a feather bed every day but they do look enticing.Am trawling the net looking at mem foam toppers, don't think QVC do them and if they did I reckon the p and p would be horrendous!

Dunelm Mill do them and also if you've a B & M's near you they do as well (around £30 from there I think) Inlaws bought one from Dunelm Mill to try instead of replacing their mattress and are pleased with it. Think the one they got was around £70.

I think it's you who is a Dunelm fan isn't it SS...that's where I got my memory foam topper ..ok you can't return it but no P & P at least! True enough with the featherbeds it got to be a real chore having to shake it up every day.:sweat:

Dunelm Mill do them and also if you've a B & M's near you they do as well (around £30 from there I think) Inlaws bought one from Dunelm Mill to try instead of replacing their mattress and are pleased with it. Think the one they got was around £70.

sorry Anne hadn't seen your post when I replied to SS with the same answer! I've looked at those toppers in B & M and they're very thin, can't imagine they'd be awfully comfy if you're looking for softness.

Couldn't do without my feather bed,have been using them since NN first brought them to QVC & am now on my 3rd one so not bad going.
I use it on top of my memory foam built in mattress topper & I use one of the zip up fb covers so the feathers don't poke though.
It does need fluffing every day but I really don't mind doing this as imo it's so worth it.

I have a featherbed lovely when fluffed up but they do go flat after a nights sleep. If I remember I try and fluff up in-between. The feathers do poke through. Like sleeping on a cloud - never slept on a cloud so couldn't verify the presenter's claim on that one!!

If you haven't already, you could put a mattress protector over the feather topper and then your sheet, you can't feel the feathers poking through then. :sun:

How did we cope 20 years ago when we had to lay on a mattress!! Gasp!! I haven't actually laid on my mattress since we bought the bed and that was about 3 years ago! And it was a really good bed, makes me wonder why we didn't just get a cheapy one and then a memory foam topper, feather topper, mattress protector topper and full zip up mattress protector cover on top! :happy: Mind you......... we might be making it harder for the bed bugs to reach us.............

Hi, I did go for the NN Feather Bed TSV & it arrived yesterday... Was really impressed with it, well made etc.... Slept on it last night & I have to say, am not too impressed - in comparison to my old one, was really quite hard... I know it uses their new Flexisoft filling & would be a bit more supportive, but I didn`t expect it to be this uncomfortable... I will persevere with it, but I will return it if I continue not to like it... Maybe I was tempted as it was a TSV - Im begining to think I should have gone for the really squashy ones, or the down topped ones x

Thanks Anne,:sun: guess what? B and M have just opened a huge store right near the Dunelm I frequent. I can now waste a happy afternoon browsing, buying and having a cappuchino at the Dunelm cafe. No toppers in Dunelm last time I went but think they sell out pretty quickly.Saw some in B and M and they were pretty cheap which made me wonder if they were any good.

Just remembered it was a B & M's one that I bought my teen DD's - can I blame my hormones for forgetting-lol Anyway, they are a lot thinner than ours bought from QVC's outlet but seemed to do the job OK for them. Haven't seen my inlaws one from Dunelm so can't compare thickness for you. Wish our Dunelm had a cafe in it.

our new B & M is on the same retail park as Dunelm too, which makes my trips twice as long ha ha! The B & M toppers tho were nothing like the Dunelm mem foam ones...mind you I'm catering for arthritic hips and am like the princess & the pea, I need something that I can sink into!

Just remembered it was a B & M's one that I bought my teen DD's - can I blame my hormones for forgetting-lol Anyway, they are a lot thinner than ours bought from QVC's outlet but seemed to do the job OK for them. Haven't seen my inlaws one from Dunelm so can't compare thickness for you. Wish our Dunelm had a cafe in it.

Cafe is great, soup, jacket spuds, pannis etc and very very nice cake. Me and a friend went last week. We had a nice lunch and a happy browse around. Nicer than shopping with QVC, whisper it low!! Friend is pregnant and we went to get cute things for the nursery. :happy:

Latest posts

Back