Foundation

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

warwa100

Registered Shopper
Although I think I'm pretty good when it comes to face and body products in deciding what to buy, what's right for me etc. I'm struggling with make-up and always have.

In particular foundation! I used Models Prefer Dial Foundation for a long, long time, but moved onto Liz Earle's Colour Signature Foundation (http://www.qvcuk.com/Liz-Earle-Colo...html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-30-_-203208) when I could no long get the cartridges. I don't think the Liz Earle worked for me and I recently bought the Doll10 Aqua D'Pure Mineral Rich Foundation (http://www.qvcuk.com/Doll10-Aqua-D'....html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-6-_-205742) but this works even less.

I really don't know what to buy. I know I prefer a liquid foundation that can be applied with a sponge and I don't think I want a 'full coverage' one. I don't want to look like I'm caked in make-up, but at the same time I don't want to look ill and like I'm not 'made up' (I have very pale, with hereditary dark circles and deep sockets).

Anyone got any ideas? A friend has suggested Rimmel or Bourjois to me this afternoon.

Everyone is different so it's very hard to say, but I'm as pale as they come and love Clinique's CC cream. Although it won't have the coverage of some foundations (it's sheer to medium) I find its perfect for me as I'm so pale, high coverage foundations make me look like a ghost, whereas this combined with a little concealer is just the most natural finish I've ever found :)

My suggestion would be to go to the make up counters in a big department store - the good ones are always willing to let you have a little sample pot so you can try before you spend any money. They will also colour match you so you can get the correct shade. I find this a good way to get one that suits you and also to make sure they do not react to your skin - which I have found the Bobbi Brown ones do to me, which was a costly mistake.

I use the Clinique CC cream too and then dust a little Bare Minerals over the top as I like a more heavy make-up. I have really dark skin (not black) so I find most foundations are too light for me - the opposite of Ellaaa.

You need to step outside QVC. Bare Minerals are bringing out a liquid foundation later this year I know.

I would go to Boots and ask them to do the machine thing and match a colour for you, tell them the coverage etc you want and they will give you a sample to try.

Personally I don't like Boots No7 makeup but that is not to say it will not work for you.

Oh dear Warwa I feel your pain. Foundations have been the plight of my life, firstly because of colour matching, secondly because i have sensitive skin and thirdly because I hate the feel of many liquid ones on my face. Some feel greasy or heavy, some feel difficult to apply and drag the skin, some feel watery, some just soak in, some just sit on the surface and so on and so on. I reckon I`ve wasted a fortune on them and foundations are as personal as shoes, one size certainly doesn`t fit all and what does for one person`s skin certainly doesn`t do for another. You might be better just hitting the DHS and visiting several cosmetic counters and asking for samples or a mini makeover using their foundation. Also don`t knock the off the shelf brands such as Maybelline, L`Oreal, Max factor etc. The best liquid foundation I ever found for myself was a Maybelline one, sadly now discontinued so go bare faced and try a couple of the high street brands. Hopefully you`ll find exactly what you`re looking for but it may take a couple of expeditions to get it just right but at least you don`t have to mess about with p and p or returning items bought online. If you go to somewhere like Debenhams or John Lewis or even a large branch of Boots, the girls on the counters will generally be as helpful as possible.

I'd agree. If you approach a couple of the counters in Debenhams, bigger Boots or other department stores I've found the staff are happy to talk you through the products and once you narrow down the texture that you like they may well give you a small sample to try at home. If you feel cornered or pressured into buying tell them you want to check your face in daylight and then buy elsewhere! Mostly I've found counter staff very helpful and rarely pushy (Benefit staff are sales driven so you need to be strong enough to say no to them!). The Bare Minerals staff will do a full face of mineral buffing if you haven't tried a mineral powder-based foundation before. It's so hit and miss you could spend a lot of money in return postage trying the ones QVC offer.

I've had some shocking foundation mistakes over the years but equally found a couple of gems from Avon to Dior. I hope you find something good :mysmilie_59:

I have found staff on the Clinique counters very helpful with foundation. If you get lucky with the assistant, Estée Lauder is too but one girl I asked gave me no help whatsoever whereas an older lady was super, and the reverse was true with Bobbi Brown! Clinique though do not seem to go in for that snotty attitude you can encounter.

I've got loads, BM, Estée Lauder double wear, 2 different MAC, maybelline and some BB creams. I really fancy trying Laura Mercier and Illamasqua, the former is supposed to be really good. Out of the ones I've got I don't really prefer one over the other although I'm using the BB cream at the mo for daytime use, each has it's own merit and I pick which one according to what my face is like and what I'm doing. Oh and to add none were purchased from QVC.

Another thing if you don't use primer you really should, there are loads of brands who make them.

Also how are you apply? I swear by the Beauty Blender but Real Technics Expert Face Brush you can buy it in Boots. The old style of straight is out you need to buff in circular motions to get the best results of flawless.

I found one or two of the sales staff were trying to match me with the totally wrong shade of foundation, edging me towards " looking tanned " as it were. I told the YSL sales girl she`d made me look like an Oompa Loompa and to be honest the Clinique rep didn`t do much better either. So if you`re happy with the feel of the foundation but unhappy with their colour match then ask them to try another shade. I must admit when I was colour matched at Boots their shade was the best.

I am Scandinavian and very pale, also with dark circles so I understand your problem. I use Estee Lauder doublewear in IC1 Shell. It is a moderate coverage liquid and I apply it with a sponge. Hope you can get a sample from Debenhams or somewhere before you buy.

Inge xx

spend the most you can afford and go and see it in natural light. also wait for it to settle maybe half an hour. buying foundation can take time but its worth it specially if you are in an extreme colour spectrum

I'm more a mineral foundation user these days for speed but I still use l'oreal infallible when I'm on a night out applied with sponge. Think it's pretty good and quite affordable. Not too heavy coverage either

Foundation is my biggest problem. I don't have much choice of brands locally and found the Clinique girl wanted to push me to a much darker colour than I was happy with. I find I am put off asking advice at the beauty counters where the girls are very heavily made up themselves as I want a much more natural finish, some seem to have it put on with a trowel.

If I do find a brand I am happy with coverage and texture etc I sometime have to buy 2 colours and mix them in small quantities to suit time of year.

I know this is a stupid question but I assume the Boots colour match thing is for Boots own brand only?

Yes the Boots colour match gizmo is only for Boots No 7 foundations. When I was colour matched I thought the colour would be too dark but was very surprised when the sales girl put the colour on my face, it was a perfect match. Sadly I didn`t actually like the feel of the foundation she`d used and keep meaning to go back and try another one from the range.
I don`t wear makeup everyday and tbh I prefer mineral powders but always have a liquid foundation for nights out. Lily Lolo mineral powder foundations are great and you can order small sample sizes on their site, I ordered 3 different shades and was surprised to discover I needed the darkest of the 3. It`s well worth the trouble of ordering samples first.

Another one disappointed by No. 7 foundation. It's not bad but just not brilliant. Has excellent reviews though, I guess that's cos people end up getting the correct shade.

Latest posts

Back