Gemstone advice forums

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

recoveringgemaholic

Registered Shopper
Hi I just wondered whether anyone here is aware of any forums that provide independent advice about gemstones. I was going through my Gemporia rings and have found a ring with a gemstone origin that i had not heard of. It wasn’t cheap at the time and I’ve googled it and can find no source of this gemstone from this country. It’s making me doubt the certificate of authenticity and worry about what it is.
I have had it confirmed from gems that this is the right certificate but wanted some independent advice without it costing a lot.

Gemporia sells gems under a myriad of different names. Like sunstone as serenite, turkizite as Czarite, or kyanite as nilamani. Just to be nice and confusing.

What is it called on the certificate?

Gemdat is about the best there is for finding information out about gemstones.
This will take you straight to the Spinel page. It lists all the localities in there.

Another good website is Mindat - which is basically the same as Gemdat, but for minerals.

Gemdat is about the best there is for finding information out about gemstones.
This will take you straight to the Spinel page. It lists all the localities in there.

Another good website is Mindat - which is basically the same as Gemdat, but for minerals.

This is brilliant thank you. I think I’ve found it. It’s China and I hadn’t heard of it being a source of spinel before but it’s mentioned in GEMDAT. Such an informative website and wouldn’t have come across it without your help.

I can recommend a relatively new website Gemstones.com associated with the American shopping telly JTV (Jewelry Television). Their Gemopedia provides useful information about various gems/minerals, their history, alternative names, countries of origin etc. They also have an educational YouTube channel where the real experts (gemmologists and geologists) show rough stones, faceted gems, and interesting mineral specimens.

Gemstones.com Channel Trailer​

This is brilliant thank you. I think I’ve found it. It’s China and I hadn’t heard of it being a source of spinel before but it’s mentioned in GEMDAT. Such an informative website and wouldn’t have come across it without your help.

You're welcome. It's a great website and its highly accurate. It's pretty much the website for finding out useful information.

I can recommend a relatively new website Gemstones.com associated with the American shopping telly JTV (Jewelry Television). Their Gemopedia provides useful information about various gems/minerals, their history, alternative names, countries of origin etc. They also have an educational YouTube channel where the real experts (gemmologists and geologists) show rough stones, faceted gems, and interesting mineral specimens.

Gemstones.com Channel Trailer​

This looks really good thank you. I’m going to have a good look at it later tonight.

Latest posts

Back