Question for Dave Troth - Does Gemporia Jade have any value ..?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Imogene9500

Registered Shopper
There have been lots of references on this forum to the vast amounts of Jade that Gemporia is pushing. For the record I am a long standing Gems customer who wants to see the company continue, but in my mind successful companies trade on trust. Like others I am very worried about the selling techniques being used by Dave and supporting presenters, to sell this material, in particular random comparisons inferring investment value v. houses, cars etc. This may apply to certain material, but can Dave provide any valuations at all for what he is selling (i suspect nothing he would wish to share)? Or have any Gemporia customers had their acquisitions valued?

Like you I have been a long standing customer with Gems and was very happy when Steve returned Now I daren't buy until Steve has turned this company around. The presentations are without doubt awful and that's part from the screeching presenters! It all seems so false to me now and all the best presenters have left we have to contend with the remaining so called presenters! I even don't mind Adenia now at least she can laugh at herself as for Angeline, Ellis, Hattie, and the others No my stress levels can't handle it.

Steve is doing the London Marathon, so I guess he is focussed on that right now. I haven't placed an order for a long time as I just haven't seen anything that has caught my eye (I can't afford Canadian diamonds), I do hope things turn around though

There have been lots of references on this forum to the vast amounts of Jade that Gemporia is pushing. For the record I am a long standing Gems customer who wants to see the company continue, but in my mind successful companies trade on trust. Like others I am very worried about the selling techniques being used by Dave and supporting presenters, to sell this material, in particular random comparisons inferring investment value v. houses, cars etc. This may apply to certain material, but can Dave provide any valuations at all for what he is selling (i suspect nothing he would wish to share)? Or have any Gemporia customers had their acquisitions valued?

Valuations will always come in higher because they're insurance valuations that take into consideration how much it would take to reproduce a like-for-like replacement in the event that its lost or stolen. That valuation is not a representation of the item's worth / value - it is an estimate of how much it would cost to source a replacement like-for-like stone (if even possible), the cost of obtaining the previous metals to re-make it, the labour costs to cut and facet the replacement stone, the labour costs of a silversmith to create the setting, costs to import the stone from aboard, allowance for future material price and labour rises due to annual inflation etc.

This is why Gemporia tell customers to "send in their valuations". They know full well that people will always have a higher valuation than they paid for it. Quite often, they even tell people to get jewellery valued that costs less to buy than the cost of an evaluation. They tell people to get a £20 ring valued because they know that no sane person is going to pay the £30+ valuation cost on a £20 ring.

If they told people to get a valuation of what their item was WORTH, they'd have many many disgruntled customers saying that their valuations were much lower than they paid for it.

It is no secret that Gemporia have financial problems at the moment. If they thought their Jadeite was valued at the amounts they claim it sells for, then why are they flogging it to Dave in Derby and Suzanna in Scunthorpe for a fraction of its supposed value? They're a business - not a charity. It's in their interest to make money.

If I had a business, and had the option of selling a few thousand carats of Jadeite cabochons to the trade at £100 per carat, or Barbara in Barnsley at £10 a carat, guess who I would sell it to?

Basically, whatever Gemporia are flogging it for, they'll be selling it at profit - it's what businesses do. If they're selling it for £100, then the stone and materials are going to be WORTH considerably less.

Everything Gemporia seems to be selling right now is being labelled as a "legacy", "heirloom" or "heritage" piece that the company has only got hold of due to the Indiana Jones-type derring do of the three heroic buyers. Even the stuff in gold tone, apparently.

Which doesn't match up with the company's current reality of being so cash poor they had to cut right back to the bone and go cap in hand to Steve Bennett for a bailout.

If I wanted to make a decent jade investment, I think that I would be speaking to the likes of Asprey's. But first I would be educating myself in the different categories of jade material.

And looking very hard at a company that was trying to rush me into spending my cash before I could make an educated decision. That's all Dave's clocks and the manic screaming of the presenters to not miss out on opportunities are for.

If a company has to rely on tricks to get me to spend, then their goods mustn't be as great as they're making out

Everything Gemporia seems to be selling right now is being labelled as a "legacy", "heirloom" or "heritage" piece that the company has only got hold of due to the Indiana Jones-type derring do of the three heroic buyers. Even the stuff in gold tone, apparently.

Which doesn't match up with the company's current reality of being so cash poor they had to cut right back to the bone and go cap in hand to Steve Bennett for a bailout.

If I wanted to make a decent jade investment, I think that I would be speaking to the likes of Asprey's. But first I would be educating myself in the different categories of jade material.

And looking very hard at a company that was trying to rush me into spending my cash before I could make an educated decision. That's all Dave's clocks and the manic screaming of the presenters to not miss out on opportunities are for.

If a company has to rely on tricks to get me to spend, then their goods mustn't be as great as they're making out
Spot on.

I know what i'd be labelling the gold tone and dyed Lapis as - and it wouldn't be "legacy", "heirloom" or "heritage". My label would start with a T and end with a T. It might include the letter A too.

Have you seen this April Fools' joke?
Gemporia's trolling us with jade green!

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts

Back