Glen Campbell is a bit of a fraud - discuss

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Among the people I know I have always been very vocal on us Brits using Americanisms. I put this down to some awful tv shows and more people holidaying in the USA. One of very many examples is “sneakers” when did we start calling plimsoles “sneakers”. Makes my blood boil.
The more alert of you will observe I used the word “holidaying”, and not “vacationing!”
I read your post and I felt I had to reach out to you and conversate.

I hear you, sister. I, too, have a slight issue with this alternate use of the English language and thought I’d just shoot the breeze with you, hoping to restore some normalcy, as things may have gotten out of hand.

How long before we are told that our shopping cart will be emptied after a half-hour if we don’t check out?

Going forward, I think the least worst option is to allow Glen Campbell’s “sneakers” as it’s just the one phrase. I think it is anyway, but you do the math.

Personally, I want to get to the stage where I could care less about Americanisms, and I can say “ I’m good, thanks”. Period.

Anyway, enough of this trash. I have to go to the liquor store on the way back from having my bangs cut. 🫣🫣

Deal with it. You got this, girl.

I read your post and I felt I had to reach out to you and conversate.

I hear you, sister. I, too, have a slight issue with this alternate use of the English language and thought I’d just shoot the breeze with you, hoping to restore some normalcy, as things may have gotten out of hand.

How long before we are told that our shopping cart will be emptied after a half-hour if we don’t check out?

Going forward, I think the least worst option is to allow Glen Campbell’s “sneakers” as it’s just the one phrase. I think it is anyway, but you do the math.

Personally, I want to get to the stage where I could care less about Americanisms, and I can say “ I’m good, thanks”. Period.

Anyway, enough of this trash. I have to go to the liquor store on the way back from having my bangs cut. 🫣🫣

Deal with it. You got this, girl.
True story, I was having my eyebrows waxed yesterday in John Lewis when the very young assistant asked whether she could clip my bangs out of the way!

I agree with so much of this, but I will never give up saying sweater instead of jumper. I really detest the word jumper…

In the US a jumper is what we call a pinafore dress, a vest is a waistcoat, gas is petrol, a sweater is a jumper and a fanny is a bum :D

CC

Here's the thing: Glen Campbell sporting the Miami Vice look wearing sneakers but without socks!

OK, I'll get my coat....🫣

He always does that. Usually with trousers that are too short. Looks utterly ridiculous. Also, on the few occassions I've worn shoes without socks both the shoes and my feet end-up stinking to high-heaven. Too much information Simon 'Biagi' does this too, but I forgive him because his one brain cell probably can handle putting on socks AND shoes, far too complex.

He always does that. Usually with trousers that are too short. Looks utterly ridiculous. Also, on the few occassions I've worn shoes without socks both the shoes and my feet end-up stinking to high-heaven. Too much information Simon 'Biagi' does this too, but I forgive him because his one brain cell probably can handle putting on socks AND shoes, far too complex.
Glen has nice, brown ankles to show off, but men with fish-belly white ankles look pathetic in short trousers without socks. Glen's short trousers are not 'hip', however. It's something to do with the cut. Italian men ((many of them) wear short trousers with no socks, but they also have brown legs and look very attractive in them. Also, they usually smell of cologne.

True story, I was having my eyebrows waxed yesterday in John Lewis when the very young assistant asked whether she could clip my bangs out of the way!
Would love to know how on earth a fringe became bangs!
Cookie instead of biscuit is Dutch origin vs French origin (and then those mad scamps call biscuits what we’d probably call scones or dumplings…

It sold well but I wonder how well it will launder. I'm very cautious about knitted tops because I don't want pilling or stretching after washing.
It's a big disappointment when this happens because the original top you bought will never look the same.

Latest posts

Back