Hello I'm new

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I used to enjoy watching Bid too. The presenters and assistants seemed to be having fun.

Now it's all very cynical, with everyone out to get as much cash from the public as they can.

I'm finding that I'm changing channels a lot of the time now because it's so depressing listening to the same old scare stories again and again.

Ok guys and gals, I just watched an ad for 'text a psychic' - I kid you not, it said "if you want to know your future text your name and town to 6336". It was £1.50 a text and the only disclaimer was a quick shot of some very small text that said 'we may use artistic licence'. Give that this kind of crap is rampant on TV, and put in perspective against the bid channels, don't you think you are being a bit harsh on them?

Ok guys and gals, I just watched an ad for 'text a psychic' - I kid you not, it said "if you want to know your future text your name and town to 6336". It was £1.50 a text and the only disclaimer was a quick shot of some very small text that said 'we may use artistic licence'. Give that this kind of crap is rampant on TV, and put in perspective against the bid channels, don't you think you are being a bit harsh on them?

No, £1.50 is a bargain for finding out what your future holds :wink:

I got another example too, there is a poster on the local bus stop for Sky, the complete package for £21.50 per month (there or there abouts) but it failed to mention, clearly and concisely that you would have to pay the, or BT line rental too. At least with Bid the costs are clearly displayed in big bold letters.

I got another example too, there is a poster on the local bus stop for Sky, the complete package for £21.50 per month (there or there abouts) but it failed to mention, clearly and concisely that you would have to pay the, or BT line rental too. At least with Bid the costs are clearly displayed in big bold letters.

And who ran Sky? He turned out to be really trustworthy, didn't he?

Not sure that using any part of News International or dodgy psychics to justify Bid's behaviour is really helping your cause ILB :smirk:

And who ran Sky? He turned out to be really trustworthy, didn't he?

Not sure that using any part of News International or dodgy psychics to justify Bid's behaviour is really helping your cause ILB :smirk:

Overlord Murdoch has nothing to do with Sky, NewsCorp own a small stake in BSkyB which is the company that owns Sky.
All I'm saying is your uneccessarily 'picking' on Bid when a) they are really not that bad and b) there are far worse practices out there that you could be focusing on.

Overlord Murdoch has nothing to do with Sky,
Have you ever heard of someone called James Murdoch?

NewsCorp own a small stake in BSkyB which is the company that owns Sky.
It was a 39% economic interest and 37% voting interest (at least in 2011), which was/is still enough to have significant influence, especially when James Murdoch is in a position of power.

All I'm saying is your uneccessarily 'picking' on Bid when a) they are really not that bad and b) there are far worse practices out there that you could be focusing on.
Not that bad? It's true that they're improving but they still have a way to go, especially relating to the description of certain products. Anyway, this forum is solely for the discussion of the Sit-up/Bid Shopping channels, therefore the discussion of anything else is, well, elsewhere :wink:

Have you ever heard of someone called James Murdoch?

It was a 39% economic interest and 37% voting interest (at least in 2011), which was/is still enough to have significant influence, especially when James Murdoch is in a position of power.

Not that bad? It's true that they're improving but they still have a way to go, especially relating to the description of certain products. Anyway, this forum is solely for the discussion of the Sit-up/Bid Shopping channels, therefore the discussion of anything else is, well, elsewhere :wink:

Thanks PP. I really wasn't sure where to start with responding to ILB.

Ilovebid. No-one can be so obtuse that they can't have been aware of Newscorp's involvement in Sky. Or of James Murdoch's management of said station. Or of the Murdoch family's involvement in the shady practices that saw the closure of the News of the World.

The investigations into this are still ongoing, and the repercussions are still being felt today. For ages now you've not been able to pick up a newspaper, turn on the news or look online without seeing something about phone hacking and police corruption involving Murdoch companies.

Either you've been living on the moon for the last 2 years or so, or you're deliberately trying to wind people up. Which isn't really a very nice thing to do, is it?

I've seen those ads too Ilovebid. They do as much good as sticking 2 chicken bones under your pillow and dancing under the light of a full moon. Have you also seen the ones to text your name and your boy/girlfriend's name and you will get a text back telling you if you are compatible?

I've seen those ads too Ilovebid. They do as much good as sticking 2 chicken bones under your pillow and dancing under the light of a full moon. Have you also seen the ones to text your name and your boy/girlfriend's name and you will get a text back telling you if you are compatible?

Yes I've seen those ones, in fact if you look at the premium rate text services it's one of the most complained about industries out there, it really is the Wild West and there isn't much if any regulation. Personally I'm surprised Bid haven't started giving people the option to 'text to buy' and then get a call back. This would benefit me as we don't have a landline anymore so when i ring to buy a bargain from my Orange mobile they rape me for £2.53!

Thanks PP. I really wasn't sure where to start with responding to ILB.

Ilovebid. No-one can be so obtuse that they can't have been aware of Newscorp's involvement in Sky. Or of James Murdoch's management of said station. Or of the Murdoch family's involvement in the shady practices that saw the closure of the News of the World.

The investigations into this are still ongoing, and the repercussions are still being felt today. For ages now you've not been able to pick up a newspaper, turn on the news or look online without seeing something about phone hacking and police corruption involving Murdoch companies.

Either you've been living on the moon for the last 2 years or so, or you're deliberately trying to wind people up. Which isn't really a very nice thing to do, is it?

Well, not to sound too pessimistic but in this country (that I love dearly) every bugger is at it. The politicians are inflating expenses, the police are selling info to the media, said media are invading people's privacy, nearly every 80's television celebrity has been questioned for a abusing children, the banks are mis selling insurance and dooming us all with their dodgy practices, corporations are making billions and not paying any tax and let's not even go near the benefits system which is getting horrendously abused.

Everybody is at it, it's a rat race this country.

My only point, if going about making it in a long winded manor is that sometimes the comparisons of Bid are a little over the top - yes they walk the line and occasionally step over it but they really are not that bad and in the grand scheme of things they're are a good company selling good products and, no matter how juggle the price structure around, the total price you pay is actually good value (although I can't comment on the jewellery as I have no idea about jewellery prices).

No I don't work for them, and no I'm certainly not trying to wind anyone up but having over the years seen very legitimate businesses conducting far worse practices I feel compelled to defect them.

And before anyone mentions the ASS, yes they have upheld complaints but those complaints where assessed using the guidelines that are designed for adverts - they are not adverts, they are live commercial presentations. I would like to see a separate body, or at least separate guidelines for these channels (that's all shopping channels, include online sales presentaions).

And you rush to defend Bid like this because they sold you an egg cooker?

That must be one HECK of an egg cooker! :smirk:

I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and advice, it's so kind and touching that you'd recommend worry angels for me.
However, I should let you know that I totally rely on my faith fairies for my inner peace, emotional well-being, to lighten my darkness, straighten out bumpy roads I encounter through my journey of life and generally to lessen the burden of worries and woes and stresses and strains.
I carry them with me wherever I go; in my pocket, in my handbag, in the car, they are always there working hard for me and sorting out my life. One day I may need them to save my life and I just know they'll be there for me.

How did I do??? almost convincing???!!!!
:wink:
Yes it's amazing what a bit of resin will do isn't it tee hee! I hope these objects from Bid of magical, angelic wonderfullness aren't made using child/exploititive labour in somewhere like, China, India or Thailand, (perish the thought that such wonderful things could have been made in such a barbaric way). Does anyone know? I guess not as none of us have ordered any, interesting thought tho' cos I for one would be the first to voice that fact on here if it's the case every time I see Peter Simon selling them!

Last edited:
No I don't work for them, and no I'm certainly not trying to wind anyone up but having over the years seen very legitimate businesses conducting far worse practices I feel compelled to defect them.

Defect Bid to where ILB, (planet zog)? :giggle:

Latest posts

Back