High Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was born and brought up a few miles from Bournville, and my school was close to the Cadbury factory. When the wind was in a certain direction you got a lovely smell of chocolate. We used to say ‘Cadbury’s have opened the doors!’ Cadbury’s chocolate was legendary, but now it’s vile. There have been so many complaints, I’m sure their sales must reflect that.
I'm a Brummie; my much-loved maternal grandparents were Polish & came to Birmingham in the 1930s with Papa working in the Jewellery Quarter, I don't need to say anything else. Cadburys were part of my childhood & my dad's claim to fame was that he got the contract for his company to export Creme Eggs to America. That wonderful company, like Rowntrees before it, sold out to a multi national; how ironic that two amazing businesses that were started by Quakers eventually got taken over by soulless corporations.

There’s very little really nice chocolate these days.
My favourites till this year were coffee creams from a tiny shop in Langholm, the chap made all the chocolates he sold himself. Alas he’s gone now.

When our eldest daughter was small and we went shopping, in the days when we had a proper High Street, I always used to treat her to a sweet. Always the same performance of me asking what she would like and her pretending to consider but always plumping for a Frys Turkish Delight purely because she liked the pink, shiny wrapper. To give her her due though she did always eat it.

My MIL used to buy me a box of Brazil nuts every Christmas in the 70’s until her death in 1984 . I can’t remember the brand (not Cadbury or other big brands) and they were yummy. I think she bought them from her Freeman’s catalogue . I found an empty box [ full of old photos) during lockdown but probably chucked it away. I remember they were very expensive (far too much for my pocket). Luckily Mr L is not keen on nuts so I had them all to myself.

Weren't they Payne's Chocolate Brazils? I remember having an awful row one Christmas as they were mum's faves and I'd sucked the chocolate off a few and put the Brazils back.

With one of my mutts, the old girl on my Avatar, I virtually have to stand at the back of her with the shovel under her bum when she goes out for a poop to stop her eating it. She prefers her snacks warm. 😂
And strangers think she’s glamorous!!!

I'm sure I'd read that chopping pineapple finely into their food puts them off eating it when it comes out the other end. Thankfully, I never had to try it.

I was born and brought up a few miles from Bournville, and my school was close to the Cadbury factory. When the wind was in a certain direction you got a lovely smell of chocolate. We used to say ‘Cadbury’s have opened the doors!’ Cadbury’s chocolate was legendary, but now it’s vile. There have been so many complaints, I’m sure their sales must reflect that.

All I can taste in Cadbury's these days is coconut. From the palm oil maybe? I can't taste it in the 30% less sugar, though. I must remember to buy a bar to check the ingredients...

AA we tried the low fat Cadbury and found it even sweeter than the normal one.

if only my figure reflected my intolerance of sweet sickly food/sweets I’d be on the pigs back.

I have never seen the attraction of Thornton chocolate. Looks and tastes like plastic to me.

That's what my husband said...he just said they taste cheap and nasty...and are just like eating neat sugar they're so over sweet. Although it says they've been around since 1911..I can only remember them emerging properly in the mid Eighties. A couple of their shops opened in town and they often had queues outside, especially when it was Xmas or Valentines day when people were getting chocolate personalised. If you were given box of Thorntons chocolates back then, you felt like the person had gone above and beyond. To be fair I received a box of Thorntons "dessert" themed chocolates for a secret santa a few years ago and I really enjoyed them. With the rise in all the artisan chocolatiers popping up everywhere nowadays...A box of Thorntons is the chocolate equivalent of petrol station flowers!

I haven't tasted anything sweet for 6 weeks now, following a borderline diabetes test (one point off being diabetic). I feel SO much better for it and haven't physically suffered sugar deprivation because there's obviously enough hidden sugar in foods to keep me going. I don't even crave sugar any more, so no chocolates for me. Sorry, QVC. (Well I'm not, actually, but anyway).

Crystal, after a while you will find it impossible to eat anything sweet at all including hidden sugar items.

I’m the same with salt but despite 4 years salt free I never got used to it and went back but try to limit it.

I remember having a piece of pumpkin pie once and thought I had gone to heaven. Never been able to buy/replicate that one and it is so long ago now I don’t even know if I could reliably compare it.

here if you can’t make a apple tart you are not a true woman! Love apples , like pastry but somehow when people make them and smother them in sugar I just can’t eat them . Needless to say I don’t make them myself and have to duck the endless invitations to have a slice of homemade ones.

Tray bakes (usually made with an abundance of condensed milk) is another must do here and again I dread them being produced at work or at coffee .

Oh I remember eating condensed milk from the tin when I was little, makes my teeth ache just thinking about it now.
My SIL worked in a hotelat Callander (sp) and had the recipe for pumpkin pie and soup from the chef. According to my brother they were delicious but as there is just the two of them got a bit boring.
Youngest daughter visits a pumpkin farm every year with the boys and makes soup from the scooped out insides after making lanterns.
They are going this year but, like everything else, has had to book an appointment to go.

Latest posts

Back