Homeworx by Harry Slatkin TSV 10/05/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If I want to buy a wax scented candle to burn I’d buy that.
If I wanted a storage jar to pop stuff in I’d also buy one that was suitable.
So fruit shaped floral decorated big jars with scented wax inside doesn’t do it for me. Neither does all these decorated plinths to stand the burning wax on.
A tray, coaster or saucer to protect a surface if required is ok but all these crown type accessories I‘ve seen are just money making opportunities in my opinion.

If I want to buy a wax scented candle to burn I’d buy that.
If I wanted a storage jar to pop stuff in I’d also buy one that was suitable.
So fruit shaped floral decorated big jars with scented wax inside doesn’t do it for me. Neither does all these decorated plinths to stand the burning wax on.
A tray, coaster or saucer to protect a surface if required is ok but all these crown type accessories I‘ve seen are just money making opportunities in my opinion.
I totally agree, and I think it would be quite nice if instead of bringing out all these blinking candles in these pointless decorative pots that have no after use other than being filled up with bits of junk or thrown away, that they produce refills so that it can be continuously used as a candle holder as opposed to another bit of clutter. Some years back I bought a friend for a housewarming gift a large yankee candle that came in a Morroccan inspired metal container, so the candle light cast wonderful patterns across the room, it would fit any type of candle if you don't necessarily want to buy Yankee. She's refilled it many a time and it's a really attractive decoration even when it's not lit. Basically, what I'm saying it's a candle holder, which is useful and attractive. What you gonna do with a weird apple or pear shaped thing? Fill it with junk, leave it on the side and remember to dust it every now and again, or throw it in the charity donation bag or bin it?
I agree about these pointless crown things- you have to buy a certain size candle for it to fit, and when it's not filled it'll be cluttering up a drawer somewhere. I usually pop my small jar candles or those in a glass on top of a drinks coaster...works for me!

My favourite candles are still the beeswax ones from Milkhouse Creamery, especially the vanilla ones. When QVC stopped doing them, I bought a lot from their clearance department so I’m well stocked up. 👍 I burn those on special occasions, as a treat. I stopped buying Yankee candles because there was more of a petroleum smell to them and the scent didn’t fragrance the house, unlike the Milkhouse creamery ones the scent of which which do permeate throughout the house.

I would have tried the HS one but I didn’t like the “container” it was in. It looked cumbersome and quite a thick ceramic. A plain one, without all those flowers, might have tempted me. The four wicks were also not centrally placed in some of the ones on screen that would suggest an uneven burn.

If I’ve been cooking and want to eliminate any odours in the kitchen, I now light large jar candles from, believe it or not, Home Bargains. 😳 Less than £5, a good fragrance throw and they do the job.

I think Harry Slatkin candles are loved by Americans. They love the novelty vessels and I suspect the heady OTT floral scents that smell of 1950's cheap mass produced perfumes.

Latest posts

Back