How many TSVs per year is too many for a brand?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Some brands seem positively restrained on the TSV front, with potentially customers with an appetite for more:

Alpha-H do two per year
Philosophy does one per year
OPI normally do one or two per year (2 this year, I believe)

Some brands seem grossly over-exposed.

Dyson have had umpteen vacuum TSVs and umpteen fan TSVs
No!No! seem to have too many TSVs as well
H2O also seem to have way too many TSVs
I'd include Richard Jackson's Flower Power, except for the saving grace that it is at least seasonal so we are spared them in the depths of winter

Yankee Candle seem to have one every other month or even more frequent in the run-up to Christmas.
Similar with Kipling.

I've not sat down and counted up - but does any one know which brand or brands hold the crown for the highest number of TSVs in a year?

This is a really interesting thread and I will be keeping my eye on it. I can't wait to find out the findings.

That is very weird. Before seeing this thread I was thinking, I wonder what the most successful TSV has been and what the worst has been and what did they sell [product and numbers]. Just out of curiosity.

I don't watch cosmetics shows but I think Acer are probably up there with one every two weeks....

This is clearly a sign that Q is not attracting the Vendors in numbers like they used to do. Years ago, when there was so much choice, Elemis had 2 tsv's at most, B & W didn't do one at all for years, then I think his first was a watch (I stand to be corrected), and everyone looked forward to the Molton Brown Christmas tsv. The jewellery with the precious/semi-p stones tsvs were always heavily anticipated, not the cheap diamoneek we get now. Then there was the Crafting Days with another welcome crafting tsv. Nowadays because there are fewer Vendors, then it will always be the Dysons, Yankee Candles, Northern Nights, Acer, Peony, Kelly Hoppen, Kipling (yawn). Totally totally boring stuff, with the 'made for QVC' thrown in as an incentive - not.

qvc only want to sell whats popular years ago they were more diverse. beauty sells atm so qvc will stick with it until the tide turns

That's a very good question. I think two is enough. That way, we don't have to endure never ending dysons or plant food and also we don't become complacent when it's a brand we want (thinking beauty/jewellery etc). I like Laura Geller but if I'm not crazy about the tsv I know another one is around the corner. Two a year and make them really good. There's always the chance of good oto's as well.

On the subject of recurring tsv's, seems to me that there havs been fewer birkenstock and ultrasun this summer. I'm sure they came around every month in the past. I have no idea how these things are planned but surely, SURELY, people aren't gagging for yet more vacuum cleaners.

birkenstock dont seem to sell as much. i remember even in the winter moths qvc would have birki shows

Lulu Guiness has four a year and I think it shows in the quality,they are not as special as when I bought my small Eva a couple of years ago. I was SOOOOO excited it was a special event.........Two a year would be enough and would preserve the feeling of being worth the wait.

Beauty is different because you have more variety and options. even then , because certain brands come around more often ,the TSVs are filled out with items people don't particularly want.

I recall many moons ago that one of the guests said during a presentation that they had been asked to increase the number of TSVs due to their success. I think it may've been Lulu Guinness in the early days as the example given was that they have initially agreed to provide two a year and had progressed to discussions to provide three or even four.

I'd like to see a maximum of three from a brand to be frank - three good ones, not some of the sets that are cobbled together. Their isn't the value any more for many things I see.

Trouble is I think its down to the brand and the deal they get with QVC, percentage of profit how much product is sold. Alpha H are small company compared to say Elemis, Liz Earle so the amount of stock they can get for a TSV will be smaller. They are now expanding into online UK retailers so more sellers for them. But QVC they will need to supply 10,000+ for just one day's sales.

Gatineau is owned by Revlon a giant parent company so they can really push and supply loads of products.

Personally specially the big boys should have one TSV each every quarter, which would give a chance to smaller brands if they chose to do a TSV. Now some brands will do a TSV and disappear pretty quickly. Freeze 24 which launched on QVC with a TSV, the reviews totally crap despite AY pushing like mad how wonderful they were.

I sell Dyson. Those who love this inventive brand, will always stay with it. Several customers have a couple of plug ins, and the same cordless. For most people, one main vacuum, and one cordless suffices. QVC have so many similar/repeat tsvs, to try and acquire buyers who DID NOT go for a previous offer. It is the same with laptops; don't think you must buy a tsv as, like buses, another one will be along any minute. The only product I will only buy from the Q, is Elemis. I don't need any more than 2 in a year.

I think the genuine value of a TSV has declined, even since I started watching (6 or 7 years ago). I think they need a real sort-out in the beauty department, as for some brands they have another TSV while an auto delivery one is going on with similar products. If they are overlapping an AD I think they need totally different products.

I'm sick of them claiming 30mls as a full size of an Elemis moisturiser - rarely if ever is the true full size put into a TSV - so straight away they've diluted the genuine good value of the TSV.

But looking at the wider QVC TSV offerings... too many Diamonique TSVs and not enough variety from elsewhere in their range - it's only the current big brands that get a go at a TSV: Bibi Bijoux, Links of London, Honora, B&W. I would like to see more variety and definitely it would be nice to see a TSV with some semi-precious or precious stones.

Fashion - Kim & Co and Nina Leonard are the most regular... with Antthony and Attitudes by Renée close behind, then Tiana B and Ronni Nicole. Other than that we get the eye-wateringly expensive for what it is (sorry, fans) Yong Kim. We also get Michelle Hope as the one regular British designer. It would be nice to see more genuine variety and also some more non US brands having a TSV - even one per year would be wonderful.

In the bedroom - please, oh please QVC let's get some genuine non-QVC brands? We are now pretty much certain that KH, NN, MM, CH are all in-house brands made by QVC or made only for QVC. Where is the genuine choice? If Northern Nights made beds, that choice with the beds and mattresses would disappear too, I fear.

QVC needs to either get more departments to offer more choice, or stop being lazy and recruiting ex Ideal World products to expand its range in existing departments.

I'm sure it isn't easy to offer 365 TSVs per year, but come on and get a bit more creative... the more special the TSV is, and the better value, the stronger the sales will be, I reckon.

I sell Dyson. Those who love this inventive brand, will always stay with it. Several customers have a couple of plug ins, and the same cordless. For most people, one main vacuum, and one cordless suffices. QVC have so many similar/repeat tsvs, to try and acquire buyers who DID NOT go for a previous offer. It is the same with laptops; don't think you must buy a tsv as, like buses, another one will be along any minute. The only product I will only buy from the Q, is Elemis. I don't need any more than 2 in a year.

I get that louise66. Big brands can pay handsomely in their efforts to attract new customers and Q is a great shop window to advertise big ticket items even if people eventually buy elsewhere. But, mighty as Q is, there is a fine line between the numbers who will watch yet another demonstration and ths numbers who will switch off and may forget to switch back on!

Kipling have had 4 TSV's already this year, Yankee Candle have had 3 and the fourth is on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Kipling have had 4 TSV's already this year, Yankee Candle have had 3 and the fourth is on Wednesday.

So maybe it just seems like they have more, because they're both on so frequently... unless they're squeezing in at least one more before the end of the year - in which case they've exceeded their quota!

Latest posts

Back