How much longer can the falling price dynamic last?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Adam

Registered Shopper
After reading grumpybloke's thread, I've been thinking: How much longer can the falling price auction last in its current form?

Since the introduction of the timer, the falling price dynamic has been lost. If a channel can decide to close the auction with a significant quantity remaining, then it's not truly falling price - it's yet another gimmick to add pressure onto people to buy.

bid shopping have always had ways to try and get people buying - initially, the "guide prices" were enough to make people both bid and buy. When price-drop launched, the falling price auction was brand new to TV, and people were fascinated. Since then, we've had the presenters going to the drop spot; fixed price specials; half price or less; low price alerts; megadrops; we had a month of occasional falling price speed auctions on bid-up.tv; guide prices reincarnated as "start prices"; jewellery avalanches; timers to end the sales; all sorts of music used to apply pressure; sales continuing throughout the day; under £10/£20 events; beat the high street; and, of course, prices in both pounds and pence.

That's a long list of gimmicks that bid shopping have used to get people in - there can't be that many more that they can use - and with people starting to tire of these techniques, where can bid shopping go next?

One - unlikely - option is to slowly try to revert to a rising price dynamic, but it would have to be phased in - in a similar way to the phasing out of rising price auctions back in the late 00s.

They've started going back to the themed hours that they used to have at the very start - the problem is, the quality of the products is too low for anyone to stick around, and the cost to purchase a product is too high for people to buy multiple items in a single hour. If somebody purchased two items over the phone, they'd likely spend £19.04 on postage and call charges alone. It'd be more cost-effective to go to the high street and get better quality for the same price.

In the past 12-18 months, there's been a slight shift. Their current focus appears to be on the elderly and vulnerable - those who are least likely to factor in the call charge, and the postage charge. Products like the worry angels, the fire blankets, the TV simulator, ID protection stamps, and the faith fairies are all aimed at people who need something to help them feel protected. The sales pitch for these products always tries to prey on the weaknesses of some viewers, and tricks a lot of viewers into buying these products for prices higher than the average high street price when postage and phone charges are factored in.

Anyway, what do you lovely people think? Will the format have to shift again for bid shopping to keep in business, or will the sales techniques continue to become less ethical in order to get whatever money they can?

whilst i dont agree with most of the tactics bid use generally speaking the items they sell dont half shift quickly

Whilst they're still making a profit (despite them having us believe they're selling us every item for less than they paid for it) they'll keep on going in their own sweet way. Until significant amounts of people stop buying then perhaps they may have to think about trying to source better quality products and to use more honest sales tactics....until that time we'll have to watch and wait for some more gimmicks...I doubt if they'll ever run out, half the time the gimmicks are basically the same but dressed up in a slightly different way. As I said before, I don't think they give the viewers much credit for their intelligence, and as for those who happen to be old, vulnerable, or both...they're manna from heaven to this lot!

Here are some of my ideas for new sales tactics...

Wheel of death.

Method
Placing the presenter (James Russell) onto a circus wheel of death, Helen Bates throws a set of Viners knives. If she makes a hit on the victim, I mean erm, Russell then the avalanche continues unabated.... if she misses then only 1p a minute comes off.
On death the price drops to 1p!... :insert muhahaha smiley here:

Talking utter bollocks.

Method
Everytime a presenter gives a falsehood or makes things up a hooter sounds in the studio. They enter Peter Simon's gunk tank and get gunked. If a presenter dies from drowning in gunk then they win a posthumous prize for talking bollocks. The price goes instantly to 1p.

The Tanzanite Mines of doom

Method
A tunnel is built under the studio and various Tanzanite pieces are placed throughout. The presenter and assistant must enter the mine and pick up as many pieces of tanzanite whilst on a mining cart going at 60mph. Should they fail then they will be sealed in the mine for ever. The price then drops to 1p

Bexi's house of horrors

Method
Bexi, a resident forum member is MAD! She owns a castle in England (UK) and stalks the corridors holding a 6-piece set of dinner forks/knives she recently purchased from Bid. She thought they were 'hotel' equivilent but they are nothing but tat! The presenter must enter the castle and try to make it to the back door avoiding Bexi at all costs. If they fail the price drops to 1p. If not, then the price stays at £9.99+£7.99+£1.53.

:drunk:

Last edited:
You make some excellent points, Uglysofa.

Their current focus appears to be on the elderly and vulnerable - those who are least likely to factor in the call charge, and the postage charge. Products like the worry angels, the fire blankets, the TV simulator, ID protection stamps, and the faith fairies are all aimed at people who need something to help them feel protected. The sales pitch for these products always tries to prey on the weaknesses of some viewers, and tricks a lot of viewers into buying these products for prices higher than the average high street price when postage and phone charges are factored in.

This aspect of the Bid Network is really what sickens me. It is a cynical as those junk mail scammers or cowboy tradesmen. The management who engaging in these sort of practices and the presenters who are complicit in their selling tactics should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

The thing is, of course there making profit and they can't lie about them selling it less to us, however they can bend the truth.
They buy in bulk which is cheaper - each item would work out more expensive if brought separate. So the only reason they claim it's cheaper is because (it's cheaper then it normally is individually) if that makes sense? Plus add in the normal rip off of £7.99 P&P and cost of the phone call.
Bid and the whole channels need a overhaul, because I honestly don't see them being around in 10 years time. The Presenters need to be more professional. Lisa Brash just acts like a slut on screen all the time and it cheapens the whole thing. There not a discount channel - if I was in charge:

*make Speed Auction the place where things go very cheap, because were selling the fragmented lines (they claim to do this now with Speed Auction Live - but they don't)
*Slash P&P cost to around about £3.99 (even if it means making the actual product selling £1 dearer, it's still better then the rip off cost at the minute)
* Sort out some of these Presenters - it's a business you don't walk into a high street store and see the staff acting like a bunch of morons.
*Actually have decent menswear clothes and have a slot dedicated to it
*Axe the annoying adverts, and instead have the assistants use the break time to sell the Pick of the Day or something.

I could go on and on

Bexi's house of horrors

Method
Bexi, a resident forum member is MAD! She owns a castle in England (UK) and stalks the corridors holding a 6-piece set of dinner forks/knives she recently purchased from Bid. She thought they were 'hotel' equivilent but they are nothing but tat! The presenter must enter the castle and try to make it to the back door avoiding Bexi at all costs. If they fail the price drops to 1p. If not, then the price stays at £9.99+£7.99+£1.53.

:drunk:

:heart: So funny! I'd rather they stay away from my "back door" though :wink:

Latest posts

Back