I like unusual gadgets, but - - - -

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
- - - this is taking it too far even for me - - -

Shower powered speaker 731198.jpg

Mr L spends so much time in the bathroom he could listen to the entire Archers and still have time for more.

For me it’s 15 minute and a good portion of that is cleaning up after us.
I notice you say, 'cleaning up after "us". Does Mr L not do his share?

Actually he is really good with house chores but he uses the bathroom first and then I have my shower and tidy it afterwards.

He's really good at grocery shopping and putting* it all away afterwards which I don’t like.

We tend to share most chores but some we do if the other is better (eg he’s not great with water as he can’t cope with very hot water whereas I believe in scalding the germs into submission!) or something we really hate doing. It’s worked for 51 years so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

There are things in life which are necessary but I consider doing a pain -- i.e. I could be doing other things with my time.

1. Filling up the car
2. Putting the shopping away
3. Buying underwear
4. Washing my hair
5. Having a shower - and cleaning it
6. Putting clean sheets on the bed

I remember years ago you could buy a radio to hook over the shower pole/door it didn’t interest me then so unlikely to do it at Q prices. Anyway my shower fittings are in the wall with flush controls so it wouldn’t fit.

I don’t enjoy chores but I like the end result better eg love crisp fresh bed linen but not crazy about ironing it.

I do like radio or music on in the bathroom.

Not been able to have a bath for two years now - which used to be my most favourite time :( - but when I did it was a 1.5 hour long affair accompanied by lots of radio.

I’ve got a radio which has sucker pads to stick on wall which is ‘shower proof’ from Tesco years ago which cost £5!

Also got a Bluetooth speaker which was a clubcard offer and is rubber and splash-proof...

£100 is mad! And the lights a complete gimmick!

Twice I’ve bought the obligatory Lynx Xmas gift set for teenage nephew and that has come with a ‘FREE’ Bluetooth shower speaker!

Ok so I like the idea of this but it is a bit expensive.
We always have music on in our house - and we do have a waterproof Bluetooth speaker / DAB radio in the bathroom which I think I paid about £60 if memory serves - we use it daily and love it. We also have lights we can set to ‘disco’ setting in the bathroom (nope - not kidding) and in the kitchen, the kids love them. We regularly have a Saturday night kitchen disco! They can also be dimmed and set to different colours etc but the disco setting is a bit of fun.

We're Navy shower takers here - the joys of a water meter. In, wet, shower off, soap up, shower on, rinse and out. Cool water for me as the heat zaps what little energy I have.

Actually he is really good with house chores but he uses the bathroom first and then I have my shower and tidy it afterwards.

He's really good at grocery shopping and putting* it all away afterwards which I don’t like.

We tend to share most chores but some we do if the other is better (eg he’s not great with water as he can’t cope with very hot water whereas I believe in scalding the germs into submission!) or something we really hate doing. It’s worked for 51 years so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

We have a system, too. I can't bend or reach without fainting or having a spasm. He does the floors and higher stuff, I do anything I can do upright.

That speaker would pay a good portion of the water bill!

If you absolutely loathe cleaning the shower but also dislike the thought of mould growing you could use a one-week-wonder AKA Wet & Forget shower cleaner. Spray it all over the shower once a week and mould will not grow. I'm not fond of it as the scent kills me and it doesn't leave surfaces sparkling but as a mould-phobic, it does the job.

Another option is a coating you can buy from Lakes Bathrooms called AllClear. Our shower came with it pre-applied but it started wearing off after a year so Mr AE bought a kit and re-applied. Everything just sluices off and stays clean. You can get away with a quick wipe-over once a week to keep the shower like new. If anyone's used Rain-Ex, it's similar but more effective and longer lasting.

Both or either option is great for older/disabled people (not to mention the lazy among us :D ).

I do like radio or music on in the bathroom.

Not been able to have a bath for two years now - which used to be my most favourite time :( - but when I did it was a 1.5 hour long affair accompanied by lots of radio.

I’ve got a radio which has sucker pads to stick on wall which is ‘shower proof’ from Tesco years ago which cost £5!

Also got a Bluetooth speaker which was a clubcard offer and is rubber and splash-proof...

£100 is mad! And the lights a complete gimmick!

Twice I’ve bought the obligatory Lynx Xmas gift set for teenage nephew and that has come with a ‘FREE’ Bluetooth shower speaker!

Ah... the teen boys that do very little showering yet all smell the same. You can smell them two houses away downwind and are flammable close to naked flames 😂

I'm unable to have a bath these days, too, and also miss a good soak to relax and unwind. No radio for me but an excellent toe workout draining and topping up the warm water. I suppose a shower saves lots of water and I no longer go through pop socks like I used to - put bath bombs, porridge oats etc., in them and it saves the clean-up stress that ruins the relaxation after a lovely bath.

There are things in life which are necessary but I consider doing a pain -- i.e. I could be doing other things with my time.

1. Filling up the car
2. Putting the shopping away
3. Buying underwear
4. Washing my hair
5. Having a shower - and cleaning it
6. Putting clean sheets on the bed
Gosh you said it. The bedding bit, the shopping bit, washing my very thick hair all major incidents for me.

We're Navy shower takers here - the joys of a water meter. In, wet, shower off, soap up, shower on, rinse and out. Cool water for me as the heat zaps what little energy I have.

We have a system, too. I can't bend or reach without fainting or having a spasm. He does the floors and higher stuff, I do anything I can do upright.

That speaker would pay a good portion of the water bill!

If you absolutely loathe cleaning the shower but also dislike the thought of mould growing you could use a one-week-wonder AKA Wet & Forget shower cleaner. Spray it all over the shower once a week and mould will not grow. I'm not fond of it as the scent kills me and it doesn't leave surfaces sparkling but as a mould-phobic, it does the job.

Another option is a coating you can buy from Lakes Bathrooms called AllClear. Our shower came with it pre-applied but it started wearing off after a year so Mr AE bought a kit and re-applied. Everything just sluices off and stays clean. You can get away with a quick wipe-over once a week to keep the shower like new. If anyone's used Rain-Ex, it's similar but more effective and longer lasting.

Both or either option is great for older/disabled people (not to mention the lazy among us :D ).
I just dry everything taps, glass door, shower head with a cloth takes me seconds. No scum and never any mould. Open the window and turn on the fan. It turns itself off after 5 mins. job done.

You probably had some ironing out to do in the first years, but after 51 years, it runs like clockwork. Many people must have said this to you both over and over, but I want to add my 10 cents, "Congratulations."

I have a radio in the shower, I love it and enjoy singing along to it. Although as the Queen would probably say, neighbours views may differ. My OH doesn't use it though as he prefers silence. To be honest I am quite surprised that I haven't been snapped up for a record deal by a passing producer entranced by my singing voice. 🤣

Gosh you said it. The bedding bit, the shopping bit, washing my very thick hair all major incidents for me.

I just dry everything taps, glass door, shower head with a cloth takes me seconds. No scum and never any mould. Open the window and turn on the fan. It turns itself off after 5 mins. job done.

That's Mr AE's preferred way to clean the shower. I just feel so guilty as I can't bend or reach to clean anything so wanted to make life easier for him - especially after he's done a sweaty 12-hour nightshift.

I'm a huge fan of opening windows and airing everything out. I lived in an old house for 10 years, not a speck of mould or damp anywhere. The new people complained that everything had gone mouldy the first winter they lived there. The wife was very unpleasant when I suggested she didn't dry washing on radiators and opened the windows for a bit every day then went around town slating me for selling them a dodgy house.

A friend's house went black in 3 months as she tumble-dried everything in a vented dryer - without venting it!

Latest posts

Back