If Gemporia wants to survive...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I suspect that Jake's shirt buttons are the only thing that are under greater strain than Gemporia's finances.

You would think that with Jake, Dave and Toby being the 'face' of the channel now, they'd be instructed to look smart and presentable on the telly - especially when they're trying to convince people to buy investment pieces that are not investment pieces because they can't give us investment advice.......

Dave Troth usually looks quite smart (apart from that phase he had where he let his hair grow) - but Jake always wears the same painted-on-effect blue shirt and old-fashioned suit jacket that looks like it was a hand-me-down from his grandad. Toby always has that 6-days of stubble look. I wish he'd either grow a beard - or be clean shaven - but he sits in the middle, where it looks scruffy.

It might seem petty picking on their appearance, but personally, I think Jake and Toby look scruffy and unprofessional at times - plus it makes them look much older than they actually are. I honestly thought that Jake was around early to mid-40s. I couldn't believe it when I saw that he's only 32, and Toby and Dave are only 34.
By far the best turned out is Charlie B whjo always looks well presented and professional. Sadly Jake in particular needs help with his wardrobe and it is not just clothes, Dave's finger nails leave a lot to be desired in close ups. Some of the female presenters could look less like they have been dragged through a hedge too.

David is a handsome man. I've always found him attractive and I liked him especially with longer hair. 😍 He's into jade so his buns and ponytails used to give him Eastern Asian vibes. 😉

I actually have several type "A" jadeites from Gemporia. Yes, they're wishy-washy. Especially lavender one (which in fact is white with very pale, greyish lavender tint). But I like them because I'm a fan of untreated gemstones in big carat weights. One of my jadeites is from "Refurbished" collection so I bought it very cheap.

I actually have several type "A" jadeites from Gemporia. Yes, they're wishy-washy. Especially lavender one (which in fact is white with very pale, greyish lavender tint). But I like them because I'm a fan of untreated gemstones in big carat weights. One of my jadeites is from "Refurbished" collection so I bought it very cheap.
I am not anti-jade. I just don't like the huge disconnect between what gets shown on screen, and how Gemporia labels it.

If Gemporia wants to survive, it should get rid of scarfs, candles, cosmetics, homewares etc. Instead of selling non-jewellery stuff, the company should expand its jewellery offer by adding items with HIGH-QUALITY SYNTHETIC STONES, especially with lab-grown diamonds and moissanites. Nowadays there is a big demand for these gems in the market. Gemporia would make them "affordable for everyone". Remember that we are talking about a jewellery channel. Synthetic stones would have more sense than things that are not jewellery at all.
Synthetic gemstones are mass produced and unlike natural gems, they have no special value.

I buy original natural gemstones as a investment not to just look pretty, "but saying that Gemporia in my opinion don't sell investable gemstones" Therefore, they are suitable as a gemstone for jewelry but in no way as an investment.

Synthetic gemstones are mass produced and unlike natural gems, they have no special value.

I buy original natural gemstones as a investment not to just look pretty, "but saying that Gemporia in my opinion don't sell investable gemstones" Therefore, they are suitable as a gemstone for jewelry but in no way as an investment.
As I said before, other jewellery channels sell both natural and synthetic gemstones, and it works. I am talking about American telly JTV (which was launched in 1993 and still grows) and Hungarian-owned company Matavit Ltd. (which broadcasts TV shows in many different languages).

I am a fan of genuine, untreated gems, especially in big carat weights. I appreciate the fact that Gemporia's website informs people which stones are artificially enhanced. In Poland (where I live) you never know if you buy treated or untreated gemstones. Maybe Gemporia's certificates are not perfect, but the company at least tries to be transparent.

I would like to add some synthetics to my collection. But I want them to be real lab-grown gemstones, not simulants like glass, resin, plastic or cubic zirconia. In my country the word "synthetic" is often abused. For example, you do not know if you buy synthetic rubies (laboratory-grown corundum) or pieces of ruby-coloured glass.

I wonder if in this instance the term “investment“ becomes a very relative term. Any jewellery has a potential to be resold and the value is dictated by demand for it. Even Midas items have a potential value if resold on eBay and sites alike. Like you I really appreciate natural gems and it’s great to have an opportunity to purchase it from Gemporia.

I have seen an eBay shop that exclusively sells Gemporia items (even the photos and graphics from the site are preserved). They make small profit, but it is still a profit. Equally Gemporia offers certain gemstones that are hard to find in affordable jewellery (like Tsavorite for example) and beautiful creations of Glen Lehrer, which are limited, reasonably priced and readily comparable to prices on other available platforms.

If someone values and appreciates the genius work of Glen and builds a collection to own, I feel there is reasonable chance to have an actual investment.

The problem is that Jemporia puts some hard-to believe estimated market value prices on screen before they crushing it on air, combined with long educational lectures designed to create a false feeling of deficit of the gem and opportunity to own it. That combination lands people in trouble, especially if they are already in credit and trying to invest to help themselves or their loved ones, as opposed to fall in love with a beautiful item and enjoy owning it. Mirabelle and the troubles she and her family encountered is an upsetting and illustrative with regards to investments.

Global and UK economy is in trouble and in times of hardship people do try and invest, it is upsetting that Dave is attempting (and apparently succeeding) to convince people that his snot coloured offerings is where people should put their savings into. I don’t know enough about Jade to say that he is fibbing, but I can see the gorgeous Verde green coloured creations he puts up for comparison and that he Is offering a very ambiguous carvings in grey and various hues of snot items that don’t resemble anything that is shown in his book!

He had a carving in a pendant and ring collection of precious Olmec Jade with its “pollen like inclusions” few days ago and all I saw was a badly carved cabbage leaf with pox?😅

I love cabbage BTW, but I doubt it is connected to any special legends he loves to tell us or aesthetically suitable for jewellery.

I wonder if in this instance the term “investment“ becomes a very relative term. Any jewellery has a potential to be resold and the value is dictated by demand for it. Even Midas items have a potential value if resold on eBay and sites alike. Like you I really appreciate natural gems and it’s great to have an opportunity to purchase it from Gemporia.

I have seen an eBay shop that exclusively sells Gemporia items (even the photos and graphics from the site are preserved). They make small profit, but it is still a profit. Equally Gemporia offers certain gemstones that are hard to find in affordable jewellery (like Tsavorite for example) and beautiful creations of Glen Lehrer, which are limited, reasonably priced and readily comparable to prices on other available platforms.

If someone values and appreciates the genius work of Glen and builds a collection to own, I feel there is reasonable chance to have an actual investment.

The problem is that Jemporia puts some hard-to believe estimated market value prices on screen before they crushing it on air, combined with long educational lectures designed to create a false feeling of deficit of the gem and opportunity to own it. That combination lands people in trouble, especially if they are already in credit and trying to invest to help themselves or their loved ones, as opposed to fall in love with a beautiful item and enjoy owning it. Mirabelle and the troubles she and her family encountered is an upsetting and illustrative with regards to investments.

Global and UK economy is in trouble and in times of hardship people do try and invest, it is upsetting that Dave is attempting (and apparently succeeding) to convince people that his snot coloured offerings is where people should put their savings into. I don’t know enough about Jade to say that he is fibbing, but I can see the gorgeous Verde green coloured creations he puts up for comparison and that he Is offering a very ambiguous carvings in grey and various hues of snot items that don’t resemble anything that is shown in his book!

He had a carving in a pendant and ring collection of precious Olmec Jade with its “pollen like inclusions” few days ago and all I saw was a badly carved cabbage leaf with pox?😅

I love cabbage BTW, but I doubt it is connected to any special legends he loves to tell us or aesthetically suitable for jewellery.
I think that people might well buy the jade without the attempts to big it up like the really expensive museum-level items Dave is always comparing his wares to. Especially when there's a massive difference in colour between his stock, and those he uses as comparisons.

People aren't put off by dyed or coated gems, or by the varying levels of gold plating ("tones") on jewellery. So why would they be put off by honestly labelling jade as grey (instead of the "bluish-grey" Troth likes to call it when it's as much a bluish colour as I am), or whitish-green, or whitish-lilac?

People can see what the items' actual colours are, and it's definitely not stopping them from shopping.

But even worse is the suggestion that buyers are "collectors", (or "connoisseurs" as the loathesome Ms Foley puts it), who are "building a jewellery portfolio". This all implies that the items being sold are intrinsically valuable, with everything that entails.

The same with Jake's old title of "Lead Gemstone Investor". All cynically designed to kid the viewer into thinking that they're getting something truly amazing for a low price that will accrue a lot more value over time.

I'd be very surprised if Gemporia are around in 6 months time (even more so if they're still here in 12 months).

There are so many things wrong, I just can't see how it can survive without a massive overhaul from top-to-bottom.

- It's become highly boring to watch. Long lectures from the three amigos and the same gemstones over and over again (especially Jade).
- The presenter line-up is the worst I've ever known. Even Price Drop / Bid TV had a better line-up than this - that's how bad it is!
- Prices up (considerably)
- Quality down (considerably)
- Customer service has gone into severe decline (considerably).
- Far too many misleading and ludicrous claims that may (debatable!) just about stay within trading laws and broadcasting guidelines, but morally, are very questionable.
- No identity or USP any more. Gone are the days of 'Good quality at affordable prices'. A lot of the jewellery now is low quality at over-the-top prices.
- They've gone from being a unique jewellery channel to another general selly-telly TV channel that is of the TJC and Ideal World mould.

Steve has been back for around 5 weeks now - and what has changed for the better? Quicker refunds. That's it. I can't think of anything else that has changed.

Sure, its going to take months for 'physical' changes - new designs need to be made and imported, they need to flog old stock to make way for new stock, etc. I accept that these things take time. I wouldn't expect an overnight change.

But other issues, that viewers have made clear are huge reasons for turning off, remain. For example:

- Why are the three amigos (but predominantly Dave Troth), STILL giving us lectures every day, multiple times a day?
- Why so much Jade? I appreciate they've got to shift stock - but does it really need to be on EVERY day? At least give us a break from it periodically.
- Why are the overnight hours shows still so bad? The sound and graphics have been out of sync for weeks. Surely this is a relatively quick fix for their technical staff.
- Why does it still take so long to get through to customer services on the phone? Once upon a time, getting through was easy - but now, at certain times of the day, it can take 20 minutes or so to get through to someone. If they've made call centre staff redundant, then they could easily make some options available on the web that would easily reduce phone calls. Why not give us the option to cancel an item online, rather then having to phone up to do it? Why not give us the option to increase quantity of an ordered item in case we want to add an extra one later in the day? (Something I used to do quite often on Gem Collector). If they've been unable to take payment or payment on a split pay item, then why not give us the option to make the missed payment online instead of having to phone up to do it? Again, simple things for their IT department to add to the website. This would then reduce the amount of people calling in because people would only need to phone up for things they can't do online, such as price pledges, general queries and questions, calling about a return, etc.

There are so many things that need to be 'fixed', I just think they're now 'trapped' in the situation they're in. They can't change the presenter line-up without employing more presenters - which, they presumably can't do in their current financial situation - but they won't get customers back (and therefore, income too) if the presenters that drove them away in the first place, remain. They also won't get new customers or returning customers if Gemporia continually annoy them with constant Jadeite shows and Dave Troth ramblings that bore people to tears. All of those things have a negative affect on income - but they need more income to change some of the other issues that they currently have (they need money in the bank to get a wider variety of gemstones, money in the bank to get new designs made, money in the bank to have an overhaul of presenters, etc). I'm not sure how they break this cycle - unless Steve puts more of his own money into the business - and I can't see him doing that because I get the impression he lost interest with Gemporia 5 or 6 years ago, plus, will he really want to risk losing his own money should Gemporia not manage to survive?

As for the non-gemstone items. I understand why they've done it. As time goes on, more and more mines close, stones become harder to find, stones that have become popular or rare go from being affordable to unaffordable, etc. But is the solution more non-gemstone items? If they're struggling to create enough jewellery to fill airtime, then simply reduce airtime. Close COMPLETELY between midnight and 7am. No re-runs. No staff in. Close completely. That gives them more jewellery to last throughout daytime hours, and also saves them overheads overnight because they wouldn't need call centre staff outside of opening times, they wouldn't need producers / directors / floor managers / middle-management, etc.

IF they really do need to have non-gemstone items on-air, then why not have dedicated days and / or times for those shows so that people know when to tune in to, or when to avoid, those days / hours? Everyone will know where they stand then. If people have stayed in on pay day to treat themselves to some jewellery, they're going to be frustrated if they tune in to find Dave Troths wonder coffee, Katies face paint, Steves Primal Pile cream, or Hattie and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat. Whereas if people know in advance that every Wednesday is non-gemstone product day, or every Thursday between 4pm and 6pm is Destello day, viewers will know then that Wednesdays aren't worth watching because they're not interested, or Thursday between 4pm and 6pm is essential viewing so don't bother arranging that cup of tea and slice of cake with Aunt Sally.

A few people have said that Gemporia should branch out into synthetic gemstones - but as far as I am concerned, that would be the final nail in the coffin for me. In my opinion, synthetic gemstones are over-priced costume jewellery. They may look nice, and they may look as good, or better, than a real gemstone - but, they have no history. No worth. No value. They're man made. Surely the whole idea of gemstones is their fascination of being formed naturally, their rarity, their history and their potential value? A synthetic Ruby may look nice, but as far as I'm concerned, it has no more appeal for me than a piece of red glass. Both man-made, low cost to produce (and therefore, low worth), both can be made in endless amounts, so there's no rarity. No, just no. Synthetics looks "too good" too. Why would I want a synthetic Ruby that is flawless? Why would I want a synthetic Ruby that looks identical to someone else's synthetic Ruby? Inclusions are unique to each gemstone and gives each stone its own look and appeal. Differing shades of colour make each gemstone unique. Someone's Amethyst gemstone could look much deeper or lighter than someone else's Amethyst - but both look equally as beautiful. What about the unusual piece of Clear Quartz that has a large blue Gilalite inclusion in it? You just don't get them abnormal / unorthodox stones in synthetic form.

If they wanted to go down the synthetic route and have a channel dedicated solely to synthetics, then sure, fair enough - but synthetics on the main Gemporia channel? It's a big no for me - my custom would be lost once and for all.

Plus where would it end? Would anyone pay for synthetics in gold? Personally, I wouldn't. Precious gemstones belong in precious metals. I don't see the point in putting a worthless man-made stone in precious metal.

Again, in my opinion, synthetics would need a channel of their own and priced accordingly. Maybe bung them in Stainless Stell rather than wasting Silver and / or precious metals too.
Of course real gemstones are great but I do think there is a market for good simulants such as swarovskis, moissanites or other high-grade simulants or lab creations. There are people who would rather buy something like that because they see it as more ethical these days than constantly mining the earth or being unsure whether a stone comes from a conflict region. Especially among a younger generation it is seen as acceptable and maybe even more desirable.

The thing with synthetics is that filled rubies aren't anything to write home about either, so I'd rather pay 200 quid for a hard synthetic stone that dazzles than a fragile "estate" piece which to me is not much better than a red chunk of glass.

If they need cash they do not seem to be short on stock judging by their website and should simply reduce the premium for buying when an item is not live. Any regular viewer knows that the website prices are inflated so you're made to buy live to get a decent price. They like to move items in bulk by funnelling into auction which makes sense. But only an idiot or a new visitor would buy anything that isn't on sale online or in auction. I hope they're not counting on the cluelessness of their customer base to plug any financial holes when it looks like they have a ton of stock they could be moving if they really need quick cash.
I agree about the rubies. I don't want fissure-filled rubbish that started off white. What is the point of that? And they will degrade over time also. Fair enough if it's a matter of filling a few tiny spots but it's often much more than that.

Of course real gemstones are great but I do think there is a market for good simulants such as swarovskis, moissanites or other high-grade simulants or lab creations. There are people who would rather buy something like that because they see it as more ethical these days than constantly mining the earth or being unsure whether a stone comes from a conflict region. Especially among a younger generation it is seen as acceptable and maybe even more desirable.
So true. Especially young Americans are open-minded in the matter of synthetic gemstones.

All of the points about good lab creations and ethical reasons behind buying those are beautifully made and valid.

We are talking about Gemporia, who’s USP is natural earth mined gems delivered from mine to customers. Steve and the company, we are told, do their best to support local mining and communities. Whilst terrible history is attached to gem mining through ages, Gemporia appears to wish to help.

We are talking about two very different entities, earth-mined and lab-created gems. It is all wonderful choose to buy lab gems that one suspects to be unethically sourced and another is to try and support the poorest communities in the world who RELY on their gems.

Sorry, but there is an abundance of companies creating lab gems and it’s fabulous that there is an opportunity for people to get what they want without internal conflict of their purse or ethic.

I personally could not give monkeys about “young americans” and their open mindedness about anything, they are hardly the population that people who are genuinely concerned about welfare of others on a planet need to lose sleep about.

Please accept my apologies, I do not mean any offence at all…but I do believe that helping the communities around the world to live off their gems and choosing to boycott purchase in favour of something else are very different things, especially if It is not based on any meaningful understanding.

So many concepts and issues have been proposed and mixed up in this thread.

Gemporia should stick to their USP and sort out the problems resulting from their former MD and loss of direction. No need to REINVENT the Wheel…just go back to what worked beautifully to everyones benefit.

Someone in Gemporia is clearly reading the forum, but no one appears to be listening to feedback. It would be such a loss if Steve doesn’t turn it around, but you can only take a horse to water so many posts

All of the points about good lab creations and ethical reasons behind buying those are beautifully made and valid.

We are talking about Gemporia, who’s USP is natural earth mined gems delivered from mine to customers. Steve and the company, we are told, do their best to support local mining and communities. Whilst terrible history is attached to gem mining through ages, Gemporia appears to wish to help.

We are talking about two very different entities, earth-mined and lab-created gems. It is all wonderful choose to buy lab gems that one suspects to be unethically sourced and another is to try and support the poorest communities in the world who RELY on their gems.

Sorry, but there is an abundance of companies creating lab gems and it’s fabulous that there is an opportunity for people to get what they want without internal conflict of their purse or ethic.

I personally could not give monkeys about “young americans” and their open mindedness about anything, they are hardly the population that people who are genuinely concerned about welfare of others on a planet need to lose sleep about.

Please accept my apologies, I do not mean any offence at all…but I do believe that helping the communities around the world to live off their gems and choosing to boycott purchase in favour of something else are very different things, especially if It is not based on any meaningful understanding.

So many concepts and issues have been proposed and mixed up in this thread.

Gemporia should stick to their USP and sort out the problems resulting from their former MD and loss of direction. No need to REINVENT the Wheel…just go back to what worked beautifully to everyones benefit.

Someone in Gemporia is clearly reading the forum, but no one appears to be listening to feedback. It would be such a loss if Steve doesn’t turn it around, but you can only take a horse to water so many posts
Are Gemporia still going straight to the source for their gems? If you listen to the buyers and presenters, the buyers are sourcing materials from gem vendors, ie. "middle men". I can't remember the last time Gemporia brought something new to screen that they had recently bought from a mine owner. Not counting whatever has been sitting for ages in the vault or their museum.

Are Gemporia still going straight to the source for their gems? If you listen to the buyers and presenters, the buyers are sourcing materials from gem vendors, ie. "middle men". I can't remember the last time Gemporia brought something new to screen that they had recently bought from a mine owner. Not counting whatever has been sitting for ages in the vault or their museum.
Not sure at all 😂.. in the last year and increasingly so they sell “Closeout” items from the shows. I guess that are the remnants of the former MD, worryingly these deals appear to be the best from what is offered.

I feel that it is a deviation from what Steve dreamed Jemporia to be, honest company that supports communities around the world, I would gladly part with money on an item I love knowing it is ethically sourced and is a natural mined gem brought to screen from the mine 🥰, supporting the communities and customers here🥰.

I posted because people are clearly invested in Gemporia to survive, I am too for entirely selfish reasons. The suggestion of lab-created gems is a result of being “starved” from what we want to see and the confusion of Gemporia as a company appears to be infective 😅.

Steve‘s vision put into Gemporia worked and was such a success before, I understand he took a side step and whatever, he is back now. He has the blueprints work out exactly what was so beneficial and successful, so he just needs to put it in place?

Seldom there is an opportunity in life to resolve problems with a ready recipe, Steve has it and it’s frustrating that there is little evidence of him listening to suggestions ( the whole split pay graphics) that are easy to execute or doing anything at all.

Customers of Gemporia here appear to be more invested In Gemporia succeeding than Steve

I believe that nowadays Gemporia is unable to show natural gemstones all the time. This is why the new collections are so small and there are more and more non-jewellery auctions. But these non-jewellery auctions are killing Gemporia. I don't watch them. Even if I liked homewares, Destello and Primal Living, I wouldn't buy these things because of high P&P and bank margin.

I don't want Gemporia to replace genuine, ethically-sourced gemstones with laboratory-grown ones. I want Gemporia to replace non-jewellery stuff with (let's call it) alternative jewellery.

I do not believe that the non-jewellery auctions is the thing that is killing Gemporia at all, they are filling the air due to lack of anything else to sell. The non-jewellery lines like Primal and Visage sell and generate profit. These lines existed happily along with the main channel.Bad management is what appears to have had a horrible effect on Gemporia and it’s prime insensitive. Someone gave Dave a huge budget that he spent on Jade? No channel in history ever featured this amount of Jade and it’s cousins. It’s truly ridiculous amount of Jade and if it was as valuable as he says, they would have sold it to the trade and got Gemporia back on track.

I do not believe that the non-jewellery auctions is the thing that is killing Gemporia at all, they are filling the air due to lack of anything else to sell. The non-jewellery lines like Primal and Visage sell and generate profit. These lines existed happily along with the main channel.Bad management is what appears to have had a horrible effect on Gemporia and it’s prime insensitive. Someone gave Dave a huge budget that he spent on Jade? No channel in history ever featured this amount of Jade and it’s cousins. It’s truly ridiculous amount of Jade and if it was as valuable as he says, they would have sold it to the trade and got Gemporia back on track.
I agree that it is possible for jewellery and other items to co-exist if there is an overall / common company vision of bringing value and quality for example.I personally like Visage and have bought items from Destello that I really like, although experiences can be bit and miss. I've been very happy with the candles I've bought too. The problem for me is when you start to introduce huge quantities of material like Jade that dominate the schedules which makes me wonder why? And I don't like the extraordinary price comparisons for any items across the inventory that imply significant investment potential to draw people in. I would love to be a fly on the wall and see some analysis of sales and individual presenter stats as this is what management will focus on. Hopefully they are also looking closely at customer feedback from its various sources.

David is a handsome man. I've always found him attractive and I liked him especially with longer hair. 😍 He's into jade so his buns and ponytails used to give him Eastern Asian vibes. 😉
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 😉I don't find Jade appealing as I buy for sparkle and colour rather than rarity / what I am told is an investment opportunity. This includes silver items under £30, more expensive Aquamarine (my favourite gemstone) and South Sea pearls. That said Dave has grown on me as a presenter, I don't think he is a natural front of camera, possibly quite shy, but if you look at David Harry Jewels online he shows much more personality and I think his passion for Jade seems authentic.

Tonight Hattie stated just before her briolette hour finished that her opening lecture (including a three part film with the boobalicious Jake in a shirt that's straining so much it's practically warping space/time) was "almost" so long it took up most of the Wobito briolette hour, and was "nearly" twice as long as the time the jewellery was available to buy for a reason.

The snoozefest was apparently "necessary" for people to truly understand what was up for sale (a few pendants and some pairs of earrings. I suspect that nobody really had any issues understanding that). But also that the brevity of the actual show was down to the tiny number of items available to buy. Plus they were put on pre-order during the lecture, which wouldn't have helped space things out. I was surprised at Hattie volunteering this on air, but perhaps viewers had been complaining on social media or contacting the studio to tell Hattie to get a move on.

I don't think that, the tonnes of jade and gold tone items aside, Gemporia can actually bring items to air in enough quantities to fill shows, so as well as getting neverending lectures to convince us all to purchase yet more jade for our "portfolios", we're probably going to get even more interminable lectures to fill up air time on other jewellery shows.

Yay! 🥳

Latest posts

Back