Ignorance may be bliss, Chloe.......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
.......but to the shopper, it is the height of bad manners. I was watching the Emu hour and, although I am struggling with the ethical issue regarding these boots, I suffer badly from circulation problems in the extremities. From a practical point of view, they would be ideal; coming to terms with how they were made is another matter. I am unsure, if I decided to go for them, whether to downsize, as I have uber slim feet and very thin calves. I am a size 5, regularly, and wonder if I ought to order a 4. Do they stretch with wear? I have tweeted Chloe on several occasions, I have posted on her blog, and she has yet to reply. If I was looking for a reason not to purchase on moral grounds, this would make my decision easier. Is there anyone else out there who believes, like me, that wearing these boots is a slap in the face of her beliefs but is, simultaneously, aware that they would offer a great benefit to a medical problem? Because, if I did choose them, it would not be because I want a fashionable pair of boots, but because I want something warm for walking the dogs.
Back to the initial point of this post, if not all of the presenters are going to use social media, and ask us to contact them in this way, then none of them should and QVC should abolish this as a way of getting in touch. I am a northerner and, unfortunately, we do have a somewhat negative reputation in some areas of the country, totally unjustified imo. Chloe is doing nothing to counter this belief.
She comes across as totally witless and imbecilic. What an ignorant woman. I will never ask her a question, or pay her a compliment again.

I can't make any comments on the ethical items in your post. However I am a size 5 (sometime 4.5) with one foot slightly larger than the other. Without any experience of EMU or in depth watching presentations I panicked and purchased a size 5 on an earlier TSV but unfortunately the weather was far too mild to wear them so I dithered until it was too late to send back.
I have only worn them twice. I find they slip and rub my heel but think a 4 would have been difficult to get on without any openings as I have a high instep. I think I will have to buy insoles once they have bedded down. They are warm but I have other boots with faux fur linings which are just as warm and may make you feel you have not broken your principles.

Personally I would not buy again as I will never get my wear out of them as I cannot wear to work and would not want to wear many weekends.
If you could try them on in a shop to get an idea of size then I'm sure another TSV will be along shortly!!!

Unless you are going to get stacks of wear (and buy the waterproof ones) then I think they are very overpriced.

I suffer from Raynauds and live in my emu boots, i'm usually a 4 but always buy a 3 (I have wide feet) and they are tight at first but soon give and are so comfy and keep my feet warm, especially when walking my dog. Also worth trying are fitflop mukluk boots. I find that the synthetic fur type don't keep my feet warm at all.

Someone on FB asked if Emu sorted ethically unlike the Uggs? The reports are about Uggs and cruelity which are made in China(that is how to spot the fakes, won't say made in China), but far as I know QVC did not answer.

Someone on FB asked if Emu sorted ethically unlike the Uggs? The reports are about Uggs and cruelity which are made in China(that is how to spot the fakes, won't say made in China), but far as I know QVC did not answer.

I was looking at a review of a pair of Emu slippers and they mentioned they were made in China.

Try this company. I buy my boots from them ( their ultimate boot with a proper sole and heel ) and they last and last, never lose shape and don`t go baggy because of the reinforced toe and heel. I also buy them because you actually measure your foot before ordering. Place your bare foot flat on a piece of paper, draw a line at the back of the heel, a line at the tip of your big toe and then measure the distance between them in cms and order accordingly. You can email the company anytime with any query and they always get back to you. If you look in the FAQS you will see info on ethically sourcing their skins etc and the prices quoted include all duties and taxes and they arrive within a week. My first pair of boots from them are still going strong after 7 years and several hard winters and haven`t lost shape at all. I use their sheepskin protection spray on them at the start of every Winter and the boots just keep going on and on. Plus they are all sourced and made in NZ.
http://www.kiwi-sheepskins.com/sheepskin-boots.asp

Chloe did tweet a reply - true to size. Haven't decided yet, whether I could live with having made such a purchase, but if I do, my foot is so thin that, although length wise I'm a 5, I have a feeling my foot would move about inside the boot and, consequently, a 4 may be safer to wear. If I'm having so much trouble accepting how the material was obtained. maybe my principles are too strong to allow me to buy them, even though it would be to assist a circulation problem. That's my issue, though, nothing to do with Emu.

I had this same issue with Uggs and Emu boots. After a bit of research I got Booroo boots. They use 100% natural, biodegradable merino woolmark as lining. They use suede uppers and the material is sourced from another country and then sent to China to make. I did email the company and got a very detailed response, but unfortunately did not keep the email so cannot remember all the details. Asos sells the brand here.
My feet have always been cold but not anymore with these boots on. I cannot compare to other brands though as not tried others.
Maybe worth looking into.

I wear Merrell yarra suede boots which have a faux fur lining. They are waterproof and are in their 3rd year of wear. I have long narrow Cold feet. Best boots ever. Bought from Amazon mid summer so were heavily discounted.

Chloe did tweet a reply - true to size. Haven't decided yet, whether I could live with having made such a purchase, but if I do, my foot is so thin that, although length wise I'm a 5, I have a feeling my foot would move about inside the boot and, consequently, a 4 may be safer to wear. If I'm having so much trouble accepting how the material was obtained. maybe my principles are too strong to allow me to buy them, even though it would be to assist a circulation problem. That's my issue, though, nothing to do with Emu.

Did she tweet a reply after you posted this thread? Mayb shes been reading this forum lol

I bought myself a pair of Celtic Sheepskin slippers just before Christmas which are warmer than the Emu slippers I had where the sheepskin flattened so much it let air in all round my feet. These feel light and flimsy compared to Emus but I've worn them outside, they are lovely to wear and cheaper than the equivalent Emus. I haven't bought their boots but they are all made in Cornwall and I imagine the quality matches up with anything Emu produces in China or elsewhere. Take a look.

http://www.celticandco.co.uk/footwear/womens-footwear/sheepskin-boots/

I have both uggs and emu's.I am a size 7

.I have one pair of size 7 emu's and one pair of size 6 emu's - both pairs are sloppy,baggy and out of shape.I would never buy emu again and would not recommend them to anyone.

I have two pairs of uggs - both a size 7 - and they have not lost their shape or grown in size.My original pair are probably knocking on for about 4 years - but I have looked after them.My current pair are the ones I decided not to "care about" - I've worn them in snow,ice,rain,mud.I've worn them to work and they have been run over by countless children,scooters etc..they look as good as new after being put underneath the radiator every night (and they are a light colour) I wear them with or without the socks but they never loose their shape.

i have had both emus and uggs. uggs win no contest. the fit and comfort are second to none

I'm confused, I thought Emu were meant to be ethically sourced and not a concern in cruelty terms?

I just read a website that says Emu materials are sourced in Australia and then assembled in China. The site also quite categorically states that Emu are better quality than Ugg boots because of the double stitching and double rather than single layers of various components. Uggs are owned by Decker and so are not Australian and the materials used in Uggs are sourced in Mongolia, not Australia.

I just read a website that says Emu materials are sourced in Australia and then assembled in China. The site also quite categorically states that Emu are better quality than Ugg boots because of the double stitching and double rather than single layers of various components. Uggs are owned by Decker and so are not Australian and the materials used in Uggs are sourced in Mongolia, not Australia.[/QU

don't like emu the boots don't fit properly and fall apart. tried both not wasting money on emu boots that cost more in some cases than the world leader ugg.

I bought myself a pair of Celtic Sheepskin slippers just before Christmas which are warmer than the Emu slippers I had where the sheepskin flattened so much it let air in all round my feet. These feel light and flimsy compared to Emus but I've worn them outside, they are lovely to wear and cheaper than the equivalent Emus. I haven't bought their boots but they are all made in Cornwall and I imagine the quality matches up with anything Emu produces in China or elsewhere. Take a look.

http://www.celticandco.co.uk/footwear/womens-footwear/sheepskin-boots/

YEP, I'm another Celtic wearer, and find they 'do it ' for me. Never particularly thought about the 'green' issue, but I suppose the carbon footprint from Cornwall is the size of a gnat compared to arriving by the container load from NZ, Ozzy or China.

I would be concerned with whether or not the materials were ethically sourced, and how the animals were treated, if I could come to terms with the animals dying so the boots can be manufactured. Mum told me to go for a pair, to help combat my circulation problems; I just can't get my head around the animals being killed, which is why I would go for manmade but that would be defeating the object; sheepskin boots are intended to provide warmth, manmade materials don't generate the same heat. So, the first hurdle for me, would be to decide to actually purchase and wear sheepskin boots, and THEN find an ethically inspired brand. I know a lot of people do wear them, and that is their choice. I think I'm better off just forgetting about them.

I wonder whether the sheepskin used by Emu (sourced from sheep fed on grasslands in Australia rather than mountains in mongolia apparently) is also a by-product of the meat industry somehow. I have no idea how though. But as I eat meat, I reconcile my wearing sheepskin boots that way. If you are vegetarian Louise I can see how you are in an ethical quandry.

Latest posts

Back