In defence of bid

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Unfortunately that's the cruel world of retail...if they tried a whiter than white, transparent and dare I say completely honest attempt at selling it would probably be a far more popular channel...but they would be selling in the dark as they wouldn't even make enough money to keep the lights on! :happy:

The tax they pay would be the same regardless of what they call the charges - the are far easier ways to avoid the tax man, shipping from abroad, registering outside the UK etc etc...they don't do this, in fact you can download the accounts from companies house for just £1 (no p+p or phone call charges!)

And it's not a wind up...

As for the Elvis stuff, it was worthless crap, I like it when Peter has to sell something like that, something other than jewellery or perfume, he goes off the rails into BS overdrive! Hilarious. If your on Twitter check out @petersimonsays - I don't know who has the time to do but it's a great repository of Petenglish

Unfortunately that's the cruel world of retail...if they tried a whiter than white, transparent and dare I say completely honest attempt at selling it would probably be a far more popular channel...but they would be selling in the dark as they wouldn't even make enough money to keep the lights on! :happy:

The tax they pay would be the same regardless of what they call the charges - the are far easier ways to avoid the tax man, shipping from abroad, registering outside the UK etc etc...they don't do this, in fact you can download the accounts from companies house for just £1 (no p+p or phone call charges!)

As for the Elvis stuff, it was worthless crap, I like it when Peter has to sell something like that, something other than jewellery or perfume, he goes off the rails into BS overdrive! Hilarious. If your on Twitter check out @petersimonsays - I don't know who has the time to do but it's a great repository of Petenglish

Well if they'd be selling in the dark if they gave the up front total charges I rest my case. Every dog has their day as they say & with the internet retailers offering such a superb service with usually NO or very reasonable P&P on orders & an no charge for any returns as they provide a free label maybe Bid has had their time.

That ring was the ultimate in toot tho & hardly cheap either lol! Maybe the choice in background music was prophetic? "As we face the final curtain..."

I see that you're new to this forum IloveBid & despite our differences you are most welcome to voice your opinion. Stick around & you will see more of what we're all saying. As well as voicing our distinct disapproval about some of the sales tactics, endorsed by ASA upheld complaints, we do have a laugh in disbelief at what Peter Simon & some of the others actually come out with! It's just very sad that people who cannot afford it must invariably loose a staggering amount of money from buying from very misleading sales pitches courtesy of Bid, Sit up.

They use an independent courier, and your correct in thinking that they will get a much reduced rate, in fact due to the volume I would imagine they pay a flat fee of next to nothing.

Consider this:
An item is 1p, the postage is £7.99 and the call is £1.53, so that's £9.53 in total - the total isn't usually that far off the going rate for the product (if you look on eBay for a lot of what they sell its pretty close to the mark) but its the way they break the cost down that seems to annoy people. If the same product was £9.99 with a free phone call and free shipping I doubt anyone would complain/moan.
The reason they separate the costs is for the same reason shops still put "xx.99" or "xx.95" on prices - it makes them seem cheaper, it's simple sales tact and its been around for years and will continue to be.
:happy:

But Bid go one further don't they?

Rather than admit straight up that with the pricey phone call and postage on top they're the same as anywhere else, they bang on and on about the item price alone making the purchase a bargain.

And that's a LIE: unless you buy online you still have the phone call charge, and the extortionate per item postage anyway which is not voluntary.

Now, isn't obtaining money through false pretences known as fraud? And isn't that illegal?

If you're happy for Bid to lie to viewers just to stay afloat, then that's your decision. I'm just glad the ASA agrees with me and not you.

Wouldn't that mean more sales? Most of the folk on here have said that if they showed a bit more integrity they'd be more likely to buy stuff from them, and we're only the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure many others are the same. It's not as if they'd lose their elderly and vulnerable customers, they will still buy stuff they don't need from shopping channels and catalogues, this sort of thing is commonplace, but better they haven't had the living daylights frightened out of them as well, or been ripped off. Yes I'd rather have the charges put onto the product and pay a reasonable postage and packaging charge, and perhaps their frequent sales could consist of free p&p days, and geniune end of line stock. Some of these so called sales have involved the prices going up, how ridiculous is that?

Nikki's right, if they've got to be dishonest to stay afloat, then there's not a lot of hope for them!

@ILoveBid

Are you for real? OK, let's put it another way.

Bexi multi-buy's 9 x Tanzanite Rings which have a net weight of, let's say 200g.

Postage is calculated at £7.99 per ITEM = £71.91. Are you saying that is fair?

Royal Mail Special Delivery for an item weighing 200g = £6.35. Jiffy bag is around 25p. Cardboard box - £1?

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with what you say Ilovebid. But this is my experience:

I bought ( when we first had freeview and I discovered bid and pricedrop) an, I quote 'top of the range sapphire ring. Take this to any jewelers and they will value it at a price far above what you paid' So, when we received it and compared it to my other sapphire ring, my husband did, and what do you know... it was a 'chip' of poor quality sapphire, slightly above industrial quality and hardly worth the postage let alone the price. We sent it back with a jewelers report and eventually got our money back.

This is the thing, when James Russell (primary example) states that you should goto your jeweller to get it valued 9 times out of 10 I bet the majority don't.

Most folk wouldn't have the time to do that kind of thing with work, kids et al. They take the presenters at face value and trust them... when in reality they are being deceived.

But Bid go one further don't they?

Rather than admit straight up that with the pricey phone call and postage on top they're the same as anywhere else, they bang on and on about the item price alone making the purchase a bargain.

And that's a LIE: unless you buy online you still have the phone call charge, and the extortionate per item postage anyway which is not voluntary.

Now, isn't obtaining money through false pretences known as fraud? And isn't that illegal?

If you're happy for Bid to lie to viewers just to stay afloat, then that's your decision. I'm just glad the ASA agrees with me and not you.

Your not a fan are you? :blush:
With regards the costs of the products versus the postage etc, the information is clearly displayed in large enough font, prominently on the screen and some of the presenters have even recently started to compare the price of the product including the cost of the shipping and the call. I wouldn't say this is a rare moment of the transparency you'd like but more likely a well placed test to see how mentioning that information verbally effects sales.

Lies? Certainly not. Do they bend the truth a little when selling? Certainly do. Illegal? No way.

The ASA is a toothless, powerless organisation that would uphold anything, I wouldn't take much comfort in them agreeing with your stance. Try it, put in a complaint about this post - I bet they uphold it :)

This is the thing, when James Russell (primary example) states that you should goto your jeweller to get it valued 9 times out of 10 I bet the majority don't.

Most folk wouldn't have the time to do that kind of thing with work, kids et al. They take the presenters at face value and trust them... when in reality they are being deceived.

Now here is a good point - your correct, they know the jewellery isn't worth what your paying a lot of the time (unless its an investment piece for your great great great great great granddaughter) but by vaguely implying that its worth more, not factually saying that it is and then they get away with it. Also, by strongly encouraging you to go get the item valued, together with our protection under the Distance Selling Regulations (right of return), they can use these tactics till pigs fly and the reality is that as much as the ASA, Trading Standards or anyone else moan, there's not an awful lot that can be done about it.

This is genius on there part. At the end of day, if people genuinely don't like the stuff, or get it valued and then return it they will sell less and eventually change the product or the tactic - this is another one for the free market economy to sort out folks.

Also, if you haven't seen it, have a look online for the South Park Episode 'cash for gold'. It sums up the shopping channel industry perfectly -and is hilarious and sad in equal measure too!

I can understand that, I think if I was to buy jewellery off them it'd be because I like the look of it (for the girlfriend of course) wouldn't necessarily be too bothered about the value of it considering the total cost would most likely be under £30-£40. It's a little naughty when the call a £20 piece of tac an investment piece (always makes me chuckle).

I did once buy a watch from them back in 2002, when it arrived it was a nice watch but the watch face was the size of Big Ben and looked daft on me, it was only about £20 so I gave it to a relative with fat wrists. I haven't bought a watch from them since for this reason. Did buy a drill though a while back, bargain and still going strong.
:nod:

@ILoveBid

Are you for real? OK, let's put it another way.

Bexi multi-buy's 9 x Tanzanite Rings which have a net weight of, let's say 200g.

Postage is calculated at £7.99 per ITEM = £71.91. Are you saying that is fair?

Royal Mail Special Delivery for an item weighing 200g = £6.35. Jiffy bag is around 25p. Cardboard box - £1?

The way they break it down does not reflect the actual cost incurred, I agree with that but when you look at the transaction as a whole, Bexi is getting 9 timeless, attractive, stunning, gorgeous, awe-inspiring, top quality Tanzanite rings for just £7.99 each, a bargain and an investment. In fact if you have any savings or you are in a position to re mortgage I would release the cash and sink it all into these Tanzanite rings - that'll be your pension sorted!
:grin:

Wouldn't that mean more sales? Most of the folk on here have said that if they showed a bit more integrity they'd be more likely to buy stuff from them, and we're only the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure many others are the same. It's not as if they'd lose their elderly and vulnerable customers, they will still buy stuff they don't need from shopping channels and catalogues, this sort of thing is commonplace, but better they haven't had the living daylights frightened out of them as well, or been ripped off. Yes I'd rather have the charges put onto the product and pay a reasonable postage and packaging charge, and perhaps their frequent sales could consist of free p&p days, and geniune end of line stock. Some of these so called sales have involved the prices going up, how ridiculous is that?

Nikki's right, if they've got to be dishonest to stay afloat, then there's not a lot of hope for them!

Nature of the beast I'm afraid. It would be nice to see them try something different though (like complete honesty) on the speed auction channel. I can't see what they have to lose, I can't imagine that channel pays for itself anyway. I'd love to see rising price auctions again, or some sort of shopping/gambling channel hybrid whee you have 5 minutes per item to ring and 'enter'. At the end of the 5 minutes a random list of winners are drawn and get the item for the cost of the call. You could vary the cost of the call, time to call and quantity to create very exciting channel. I you really want the item call a few times. Can you imagine if they had 50 Tanzanite rings on and it was 10p a call, don't tell me you wouldn't phone up and enter for the sake of 10p? Addictive.

The way they break it down does not reflect the actual cost incurred, I agree with that but when you look at the transaction as a whole, Bexi is getting 9 timeless, attractive, stunning, gorgeous, awe-inspiring, top quality Tanzanite rings for just £7.99 each, a bargain and an investment. In fact if you have any savings or you are in a position to re mortgage I would release the cash and sink it all into these Tanzanite rings - that'll be your pension sorted!
:mysmilie_15:

Presumably your opinion is just as valid as someone else's comment on Facebook (now deleted) who bought an item of jewellery featuring AAA Tanzanite from Bid, had it valued by a jeweller and was told that it was worth the pension-busting sum of £10. Of course the person in question could work for a rival channel, but let's face it, that's no more likely than you being a Bid Shopping employee, is it? :wink:

What a great idea!!!! I think if you invested in a thousand tanzanite rings from the bid channels, it wouldn't give you enough return to buy a wet and windy weekend in Bognor to enjoy in your dotage! If you're seriously for real with what you say, then you should try your hand at stand up comedy, you could do very well lol!

:mysmilie_15:

Presumably your opinion is just as valid as someone else's comment on Facebook (now deleted) who bought an item of jewellery featuring AAA Tanzanite from Bid, had it valued by a jeweller and was told that it was worth the pension-busting sum of £10. Of course the person in question could work for a rival channel, but let's face it, that's no more likely than you being a Bid Shopping employee, is it? :wink:

Not sure about working for them but I'd love to have a go at flogging some stuff on air:

"I'm going to tell you now that you have to buy this halogen heater, it's so cheap, we're selling it at a loss because we care for you and want you to be warm - if you do not multi-buy two of or more of these for every room in your house then you are going to DIE, you are going to DIE (cue the music) dial 0904 251 2000 and press 1 to confirm if you want to ever see your grandchildren again".

That's pretty much what they do any way, you'd fit in well. Perhaps you may have to tone it down a little bit...You don't have to tell 'em they're going to die, you merely have to imply it!...oh and add a few personal anecdotes about elderly relatives who have come a cropper!....Great selling techniques, I think NOT!

Latest posts

Back