InStyler (QVC US)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alter ego

Registered Shopper
I can't WAIT for this to come over here. My cousin's over from the USA and brought hers with her. I've had a few goes and it's SO much easier than blow-drying then GHDing. For the first time ever, I went to bed last night with damp hair and styled it this morning.

I Yuko my hair but it's so resistant that I still have to blow-dry then straighten every time I leave the house or I look like Crystal Tips - very depressing. This little gem will save me so much time as I can wash when I shower in the night, then just up and go in the morning - it only takes me about 8 minutes! A marvel when blow-drying alone would take 20!! Even DH is impressed and he always reckons that most of the stuff I've had from QVC is tat.

I've been working on my cousin to leave it here and I'll pay for her to get a new one when she gets back home, but she won't be parted from it :envy:.

I LOVE this product - PLEASE QVC, bring it here quick! (Can you tell I'm excited :clapping:)

I was interested in what you were talking about so googled and you tubed :)

ps they are on ebay....

Looks ace - trouble is that it is electric so there are issues for the UK market - I know this as we were looking at an incredible face product and we hit a similar issue. Be great if they would adapt for the UK.

You can buy voltage adaptors. I got an electrical appliance from the States and bought a voltage adaptor in Maplins. It worked fine.

Sorry - to clarify - I meant if you were importing into the UK officially.

I don't think you can do that - it has to comply with UK voltage and stuff. I don't think QVC (or anyone else) can legally import a product that is not fitted for UK plugs for retail within the UK. SO by adapt - I meant if the company would bring out a UK compliant version.

Sorry - to clarify - I meant if you were importing into the UK officially.

I don't think you can do that - it has to comply with UK voltage and stuff. I don't think QVC (or anyone else) can legally import a product that is not fitted for UK plugs for retail within the UK. SO by adapt - I meant if the company would bring out a UK compliant version.

Yes, I see what you mean now, somewhat different to bringing back one item yourself. However, if someone wanted to buy one on Ebay they would be able to use it by getting an adaptor.

Last edited:
Absolutely Topaz - but (without wishing to doom and gloom) insurance and liability issues may need to be considered. Depends who you are buying from and just needs extra care etc.. the packaging may have some information on it. A friend of mine did something similar (she purchased from eBay US) with a top of the range ionic hair dryer which burst into flames as she was using it.

I can't bear the thought of anything that rotates near my hair for fear of getting it caught up. It happened when someone used a round brush to dry my hair and we had to cut it out of my hair in the end to remove it. Ouch!:eek:

Kitee - the rotating barrel is smooth (I've had a go with the brush thing that nearly tore my hair out so I know what you mean!) so it doesn't catch anything. You start near the roots and bring it down through the hair so there's no winding it unless you want to curl.

I've been using it with my cousin's plain old plug adapter. We just plugged it into the wall, then plugged the InStyler in and away we went. Her hairdryer works fine, too (though why she bothered bringing that is beyond me - she knows I have two here :dull:). I take a plain plug adapter over there to use my GHDs (old type that doesn't have the adapter built in), and haven't had a problem other than they don't feel quite as hot.

I think I'll be bidding on one of those eBay ones - just until I can get hold of a proper UK one - when QVC hopefully bring 'em over here!!

Looks ace - trouble is that it is electric so there are issues for the UK market - I know this as we were looking at an incredible face product and we hit a similar issue. Be great if they would adapt for the UK.

PLEASE tell me this is the Clarisonic - my cousin also brought hers over (charges fine with her adapter) and I WANT! My skin looks so much better after just a few uses. I had horrible blackheads and open pores on my nose that are now gone. I'd been using Paula's Choice BHA on them with excellent results, but this makes my whole face glow and is so much easier than faffing around, trying to get hold of the stuff in the first place, then applying daily or they'd come back almost overnight.

Last edited:
Whats Yuko AE?

Japanese hair straightening - similar to Brazilian/Keratin straightening, permanent blow-dry, Wellastrate (Wella), X-Tenso (L'Oreal), Boots own kit etc.

They all use different types of thioglycolate applied to the hair then neutralised and heat straightened with high-heat irons. It lasts about 3-4 months with me and should only be re-applied to un-treated roots or there's overlap breakage. Not to be confused with afro straightening products that use hydroxides. Applying one on top of the other causes major damage.

Sorry 'bout going on - just thought I'd get the technical bits out of the way in case someone asks later :wink2:.

It works well cutting the curl and fluff out of my hair, making it feel weighty and swingy instead of poofy and light. But I still have to blow-dry and iron after a month or so. I also don't care what anyone says - it makes the hair look all healthy and shiny when it's newly done, but there's a LOT of damage. Hair needs a lot of tlc after this or a few months down the line, it'll start to look like straw. It needs even more careful handling with touch-ups. If the technician isn't experienced, they'll either get it too close to the scalp and burn it (causing patchy hair loss), put too much tension on the hair at the root and cause "bends" or cause overlap breakage.

After all that, though, get a good technician and treat your hair properly and it makes a huge difference. I hate being without it now as my hair gets so unruly and difficult to style straight.

Japanese hair straightening - similar to Brazilian/Keratin straightening, permanent blow-dry, Wellastrate (Wella), X-Tenso (L'Oreal), Boots own kit etc.

They all use different types of thioglycolate applied to the hair then neutralised and heat straightened with high-heat irons. It lasts about 3-4 months with me and should only be re-applied to un-treated roots or there's overlap breakage. Not to be confused with afro straightening products that use hydroxides. Applying one on top of the other causes major damage.

Sorry 'bout going on - just thought I'd get the technical bits out of the way in case someone asks later :wink2:.

It works well cutting the curl and fluff out of my hair, making it feel weighty and swingy instead of poofy and light. But I still have to blow-dry and iron after a month or so. I also don't care what anyone says - it makes the hair look all healthy and shiny when it's newly done, but there's a LOT of damage. Hair needs a lot of tlc after this or a few months down the line, it'll start to look like straw. It needs even more careful handling with touch-ups. If the technician isn't experienced, they'll either get it too close to the scalp and burn it (causing patchy hair loss), put too much tension on the hair at the root and cause "bends" or cause overlap breakage.

After all that, though, get a good technician and treat your hair properly and it makes a huge difference. I hate being without it now as my hair gets so unruly and difficult to style straight.

Update:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ucts-contain-cancer-causing-formaldehyde.html

i didn't know what it was so i googled and they have it on amazon.

i actually thought about starting a thread when i got my babyliss big hair after seeing it on qvc - instant sell-out. got mine from comet.

it's fantastic - what i've been looking for all my life. i've got long curly flyaway hair - my hairdresser can get it looking great with ghd's but although i can do a reasonable job, it's fiddly, time consuming and the ghds were about £110. big hair is about £30 and takes about 5 minutes to get bouncy swingy straight hair. i mentioned somewhere else on here when we were discussing whether older women should have long hair that i am and do and a 35 year old who hadn't seen me for a couple years said 'oh you've got lovely long hair now!'. i don't think i said that someone else followed that up by saying 'your hair is better than cheryl cole's'.

i am completely hopeless with my hair, always have been - i also mentioned once that i got tangled up in velcro rollers. big heair is really easy to use.

i'm now feeling guilty that i didn't start a thread for all of us in the same boat as i know 'our' hair has been discussed on here before. all i can say is - get one!

there is one listed on ebay that is from Boots the chemist and its got a uk plug on it. I'm sure i've seen them shown on QVC here or perhaps one of the infomercial channels. I've def seen them somewhere.

I saw the Instyler for sale at Boots in Lincoln yesterday. It is also available from their web site.

Latest posts

Back