Jane Plan 03/08/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Jane Plan used to be on Ideal World. They seem to swap brands between the two shopping channels …. Eg: No!No! and LAB.

IW are now also selling Taya hair care products which were also on QVC. To be honest, the IW offerings are often better value and they often have free P&P.

Never understand why people fall for 5he hype, Make your own food.
Me neither, these sort of plans work out so expensive and there's still loads of other ingredients you need to buy on top. Totally an unsustainable diet, might be ok for a quick burst leading up to a special occasion but other than that, it's a lazy and expensive way of doing things!

Another thing is they stopped doing cookery glasses in schools years back. So loads do not even know how to boil pasta or rice.

They need to bring it back as parents these days don't know how to prep food that doesn't arrive in a container. No wonder so many kids are unhealthy. As one of my friends says, we're breeding stupid :eek:

Boys need to be included, too. It was sewing or home econ for girls and woodwork, metalwork or tech drawing for boys in my day. I was furious as I wanted to do tech drawing but also went on to do nutrition and health as I'd actually enjoyed it. We learned a lot more than just cookery basics.

Having said that, our first lesson was how to wash stockings. The teacher helpfully brought her used ones in for us :sick: Thankfully we soon had a new, younger teacher who gave us more than just practical lessons.

I did love the disasters some had. One girl left the blender lid off when making pea soup, another broke a tooth on an apple crumble after she'd forgotten the water. I was actually avoided as I'd volunteered to be the first to use the new microwave (scrambled eggs - yuk). All kinds of rumours abounded about me being radioactive/magnetic/glow in the dark :ROFLMAO:

They need to bring it back as parents these days don't know how to prep food that doesn't arrive in a container. No wonder so many kids are unhealthy. As one of my friends says, we're breeding stupid :eek:

Boys need to be included, too. It was sewing or home econ for girls and woodwork, metalwork or tech drawing for boys in my day. I was furious as I wanted to do tech drawing but also went on to do nutrition and health as I'd actually enjoyed it. We learned a lot more than just cookery basics.

Having said that, our first lesson was how to wash stockings. The teacher helpfully brought her used ones in for us :sick: Thankfully we soon had a new, younger teacher who gave us more than just practical lessons.

I did love the disasters some had. One girl left the blender lid off when making pea soup, another broke a tooth on an apple crumble after she'd forgotten the water. I was actually avoided as I'd volunteered to be the first to use the new microwave (scrambled eggs - yuk). All kinds of rumours abounded about me being radioactive/magnetic/glow in the dark :ROFLMAO:
I'm making microwave scambled egg at the moment, seems exactly the same as made in a saucepan, provided you keep taking it out to stir, and remove it before it overcooks.

It is my latest way of making curried eggs, snd the most sucessful so far.

Another thing is they stopped doing cookery glasses in schools years back. So loads do not even know how to boil pasta or rice.
Wouldn’t know about NI but cookery comes under Design and Technology these days and is compulsory as part of the National Curriculum. I think children have to have at least an hour a week based on savoury and healthy dishes.
As a school cleaner who occasionally has to cover the cooking room I can vouch for the fact that the little cherubs are learning to cook. But not necessarily learning to pick up their spills…..😉

I'm making microwave scambled egg at the moment, seems exactly the same as made in a saucepan, provided you keep taking it out to stir, and remove it before it overcooks.

That's the trick. Unfortunately, being unfamiliar with a microwave, my first effort - and in full view of the class - turned out to be a rubberised disaster!

I like paprika on mine and still make them in the micro if I'm having a 'fatigue' day. I prefer using a saucepan, though, as I get the feel and can pull it off the heat at the right time with it all evenly cooked.

Or boil water!!

Yes, scrambled eggs in microwave can overcook quickly. I'm going to try your method, Strato.

My mum went out to work and did not cook! My dad who had been in the navy for years did the cooking, as long as it was boiled to a pulp or fried it was okay.

I learnt to cook from my granny, who had to work from home and look after my grandfather, who had a stroke. We did cookery in school, baking, making stews, pies etc.

Wouldn’t know about NI but cookery comes under Design and Technology these days and is compulsory as part of the National Curriculum. I think children have to have at least an hour a week based on savoury and healthy dishes.
As a school cleaner who occasionally has to cover the cooking room I can vouch for the fact that the little cherubs are learning to cook. But not necessarily learning to pick up their spills…..😉

I haven't heard of kids doing cookery lately but the kids I know are under 10 or over 18 so I'm not up to date.

Hope you haven't had to clean pea soup from the ceiling :eek:

Always make ours in the microwave.

I’m not fussed on eggs so don’t eat scrambled eggs but Mr L loves them and I do them 8n the microwave and he says they are grand.

Remove them whilst still runny and give them a vigorous stir and they are ready as they continue to cook. The trick is not to overcook, if there isn’t runny egg it’s gone too far.
I like my eggs slightly underdone.

My young neighbour can't peel potatoes. Says she just can't get to grips with how to do it. Mash is bought ready made from Morrys, chips are frozen ones and boiled pots also ready cooked from Morrys. We had to learn how to make them all when we were young. We were expected to and we did what we were told.

Nothing wrong I suppose with ready made if you're rushing or been at work all day, but she doesn't work. The 6 year old is at school all day and the 3 year old is at nursery in the mornings. Lunch is a delivered McDonalds. I make everything myself and have a takeaway once a flood.

My school was quite modern as both sexes did woodwork, metalwork, technical drawing, domestic science and needlework, we had good facilities for a comprehensive. To be honest I can't remember learning how to cook anything sensible, I can remember baking shortbread biscuits which were lovely! I enjoyed woodwork, remember learning about dove tail joints, didn't enjoy metalwork, needlework was OK. And we had one boy in my typing class, hid friends laughed at him but he said he wanted to be a journalist.

Latest posts

Back