Lilies .... and Jill

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Toril

Registered Shopper
I caught part of the Richard Jackson Flowers and Plants show yesterday and he was showing some of the pollenless lilies. He said they were good because pollen could mark clothes etc. Jill added "and it's not good for cats either."

Well done, Jill! Considering the number of times liles have been sold on QVC, this is the first time I've heard a presenter actually mention the fact that they are poisonous to cats. It was only a brief mention but hopefully will have made the people, who didn't know the adverse effects, more aware of the potential harm that they could cause to beloved pets.

I didn't see it, but agree, well done Jill - no lilies in the house if you're a cat owner! None in the garden either but of course you can't tell the neighbours what they can and can't plant in their gardens unfortunately!

I wonder ........ did RJ pick up and comment on it, or brush it under the turf ?

He never mentions the dreaded lily beetle either, which is the most destructive (but indestructable) pest I've ever had in my garden.

Dieffenbachia

This has a poisonous sap so if animals or children brush past and break a leaf they could get a very nasty blistery rash on their skin. Amazes me how many schools have this plant (until I inform them).

There are lots of plants and flowers that are poisonous to cats although lilies are the worst. I can't remember the whole list but the following are toxic to cats:

Poinsettia
Spider plant
Hydrangea
Daffodils
Lily of the Valley
Clematis
Ivy
Lupins
Peonies
Poppies
Foxgloves

And there is a whole raft more. But cats aren't stupid and on the whole they don't eat plants. The reason the lily is such a problem is that it is relatively easy for them to get pollen on their coats and then lick it off when cleaning themselves.

I wouldn't grow lilies in the garden if you have cats but if you are given lilies and they can be put where the cats can't get to them AND you cut the stamens off then you and your cat should be fine.

Oh and spud plants and the bits that sprout on spuds are toxic too.

I wonder ........ did RJ pick up and comment on it, or brush it under the turf ?

He appeared to brush it under the proverbial turf and no further mention was made about it. In a later show it wasn't mentioned either.

I didn't know about the danger to cats until I read it on this forum. I don't have a cat now but wouldn't plant lilies because everyone else's cats like to pop into the garden and I'd rather they got home fit and healthy.

I didn't know either until just now and rarely buy lilies (allergic) but MiL's been a cat owner for decades - surprised she didn't know.

I didn't see it, but agree, well done Jill - no lilies in the house if you're a cat owner! None in the garden either but of course you can't tell the neighbours what they can and can't plant in their gardens unfortunately!

Quite right too.
It costs me a bliddy fortune in cat repellent to try and keep the neighbourhood mogs out of my garden to stop them crapping all over my lawn. The regular piles of cat poo all over the place, from other peoples cats, are disgusting, particularly so when my children want to play out in the garden, and we have to get rid of it before they can play safely.

Last edited:
Quite right too.
It costs me a bliddy fortune in cat repellent to try and keep the neighbourhood mogs out of my garden to stop them crapping all over my lawn. The regular piles of cat poo all over the place, from other peoples cats, are disgusting, particularly so when my children want to play out in the garden, and we have to get rid of it before they can play safely.

apologies on behalf of my own & your neighbourhood cats Ali! But usually cats dig a hole to poo and then cover it - maybe it's foxes..?

Nothing personal BusyMum honest! I used to have a cat so I'm not totally anti-feline! And nah, it's not foxes, not unless the two ive seen were dressed in cat costumes, one ginger and one black and White!
X

Nothing personal BusyMum honest! I used to have a cat so I'm not totally anti-feline! And nah, it's not foxes, not unless the two ive seen were dressed in cat costumes, one ginger and one black and White!
X

probably courtesy of Kim & Co...!:sun:

Latest posts

Back