Qvc Target Audience

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm 28 and have to say what attracts me and my friends to Q is make up and skincare. The main draw for us is that we're beginning to dabble in high end skincare as our disposable income is increasing now we are into our careers. But as we are trying out expensive brands and finding what suits our skin it is the 30 day MBG that draws us in, and then once we've found a brand we like we tend to then shop elsewhere for better deals, so we're perhaps more transient than other demographics.

I think there's a wide age range of people watching Q, but all for different reasons. I think the clothes are awful but they aren't aimed at me. It's just like a department store, I don't buy from every department in Debenhams just as someone twice my age wouldn't either.

We are still trying to figure out exactly WHO the awful clothes are aimed at Ellaaa ! you're 28 and I'm 65 (groovy (?) child of the 60's) who wouldn't wear most of this stuff in my worst nightmare, so its been said on here that its middle American women who do - well the U.S has always been 20 years behind in the fashion stakes.

Cor... some people have harsh views of what other people like and why.

Again the phrase 'older women' is bandied about... when does a woman fall into that bracket? I bet the answers will vary wildly depending on the age of the responder.

I think the target customer is one with disposable income... regardless of age. However, QVC may have decided that people are more likely to have disposable income in the decades of their late 40s and beyond... kids leaving home, possibly a lower mortgage, more settled with homemaking etc.

I buy some clothes from Q - Tiana B and Kim & Co - as I find they are good for work, easy care and travel well - and I am not a sad old girl who sits at home feeling lonely and vulnerable and unable to go out to shop. I am a professional woman exercising free choice.

I also buy some cosmetics from Q - Laura Geller, Mally and Bare Minerals - plus some from the high street - Clarins and Clinique being my favourites.

I have also used Q to buy various gadgets - KitchenAid mixer, Vitamix, Dyson handheld cleaner, Luminara candles - as the 30 day MBG allows me to really try them out... just as well really as I had to return the Dyson as it was too difficult for me to use (arthritis in hands).

Where else would have allowed me to buy it, use it for a couple of weeks and then return it because I couldn't get along with it.

I'd like to see less Northern Nights, less nail products and more quirky gadgets.

Cor... some people have harsh views of what other people like and why.

Again the phrase 'older women' is bandied about... when does a woman fall into that bracket? I bet the answers will vary wildly depending on the age of the responder.

I think the target customer is one with disposable income... regardless of age. However, QVC may have decided that people are more likely to have disposable income in the decades of their late 40s and beyond... kids leaving home, possibly a lower mortgage, more settled with homemaking etc.

I buy some clothes from Q - Tiana B and Kim & Co - as I find they are good for work, easy care and travel well - and I am not a sad old girl who sits at home feeling lonely and vulnerable and unable to go out to shop. I am a professional woman exercising free choice.

I also buy some cosmetics from Q - Laura Geller, Mally and Bare Minerals - plus some from the high street - Clarins and Clinique being my favourites.

I have also used Q to buy various gadgets - KitchenAid mixer, Vitamix, Dyson handheld cleaner, Luminara candles - as the 30 day MBG allows me to really try them out... just as well really as I had to return the Dyson as it was too difficult for me to use (arthritis in hands).

Where else would have allowed me to buy it, use it for a couple of weeks and then return it because I couldn't get along with it.

I'd like to see less Northern Nights, less nail products and m.ore quirky gadgets.

Surely an older person is someone that's older than you are , so of course it will vary from person to person. I think the world has gone PC mad if the word "older" is now seen as offensive.

Lets just call them old fogies and have done with it.

(only kidding. Apparently I am "middle aged" :( )

If you walked into Debenhams, John Lewis or House of Fraser you would not look in every single department and in those that you did look in you would not expect to like most of what you saw. QVC is no different. I've never been in any clothing retailer where I like all their clothes so I don't expect that with QVC.

Surely an older person is someone that's older than you are , so of course it will vary from person to person. I think the world has gone PC mad if the word "older" is now seen as offensive.

Who said it was offensive?

I just think that so many threads over the last few months have suggested that older people are the target market yet that description means nothing does it?

Just because one person doesn't like something doesn't make it tat or a bad buy... we just all have different tastes.

But, in trying to give a pen portrait of the typical QVC customer, using 'older' as a descriptor is meaningless. Also, assuming that all 'elderly' are doddery, can't make it to the shops and are unable to use technology etc and so are left with only QVC to buy from is ridiculous.

Spoil it how?

Goodness... am I not allowed my opinion?

Which is... don't assume that the fashion is just for the 'older' ladies and that the only people that buy are doing so because they don't get out much.

The QVC target market is older adults, 50+ ABC1 with a high disposable income. Whenever they do adverts featuring "real customers" it's always some 55 year old called Sheila or Christine or Eunice who always seems to have a magnificent white kitchen with real granite worktops, fresh cut flowers and an expesive coffee machine. I wish they would show me in my 1970s teak veneer Fablon enhanced kitchenette with an Asda smartprice sponge and some washing up liquid from the Pound shop!

No, "fashion" that costs money is for those willing and able to pay it, whatever their age, and for people who can't get to the shops, either because they're too busy or aren't able to. They are QVC's target customers. The majority (people like me) will shop where they can get reasonable quality cheaply and are happy to shop around for bargains when they can.

Edit:
I think that everyone who's contributed to this thread should get free P&P on their next QVC purchase, to offset what they're saving them on market research!

Last edited:
Just wondering at what age do we become "elderly and vulnerable" ?

I turned 65 last week - ok I might be classed elderly by a 21 year old, but vulnerable ? not on your ****** life !
My Dad is 90 today, in a Home and can barely use the tv remote, so yes I would say he was elderly and vulnerable. I tend to think if you are mentally vulnerable then you would be less capable of being able to order by phone or computer, let alone figure out the message and what to do on Q cut !!!!!!

well i do think people can be vunerable as in, being susceptable to manipulation... as i said, it happens more on bid than on qvc but it has become more prevelant since the boom of social networking. making people feel like personal friends of presenters if they buy from them (yes it does happen)

I used to buy a lot of beauty products, particularly the TSVs but as has already been stated, they've crept up in price, they're usually more of the same and the P&P is offputting when you factor it into the overall deal. I tend to watch the demos on Q and then buy the products from an on-line retailer or ebay if there's been a TSV with a particular item in it that I want. I'm surprised there hasn't been talk of them being in trouble - if they were a high street store like M&S or John Lewis, they'd be well past the point where they needed to up their game.

QVC's fashion I think most of the time just go with what QVC US are selling. Their fashion is aimed at bible belt middle America.

Trouble is when they attempt to step outside the box, its far to expensive if people want that then they will go to the stores that sell it.

The biggest seller for QVC is beauty it was published a few months ago that 30% of their sales are that. So of course they will really push that. They want the high end brands to show well they are happy to sell on QVC, or go for the drugstore/chemist brands from the US. I think they really really want to be Sephora. In their dreams.

I traveled to the so called Bible belt in the US and have friends there, and geez they follow the fashion trends found in the high-end and popular mid-range magazines like anyone else across the globe. That's an insulting statement. Most of the 'designers' on QVC are not found in the stores and shops in the local malls or main street. Don't know where QVC finds them.

According to the promos, New York ? Basso, N Leonard, Tiana B, and Ronni Nicole all appear to be based there.

Me and my dad, used to spend loads on QVC, but in the last 18 months, have only purchased 5 items, basically cause what we want we buy from amazon, get it all next day, as i take up there prime service.

Most items you can buy from QVC, are available cheaper elsewhere, Only things weve ordered this year, was a device, to get broken screws out of stuff, and a tomtom for a mate of my dads.

With most of the crew at QVC, sounding young, you would have thought there ideas would be looked at

When QVC began in 93, it was basically the only way, you could shop without going to a shop in front of your TV Screen, it was of an age, when there wasnt no broadband, and every minute you were online, you were adding to your phone bill. So QVC had a captive audience, People who couldnt head out and wanted to buy stuff in secret, had there answer, and would buy anything

But now obviously you have amazon play etc, where things are a lot cheaper sometimes, and you arent paying by the minute, to be online, you have much choice.

I would say they have the best offers on shopping tv, IW, tend to be cheaper than shops sometimes, and chuck extra bits into packages. Like they say if we just offered you what a shop was selling, you would go down a shop and buy, hense why we give extra

Maybe Q need like Smash Hits, half price weekends.

The QVC target market is older adults, 50+ ABC1 with a high disposable income. Whenever they do adverts featuring "real customers" it's always some 55 year old called Sheila or Christine or Eunice who always seems to have a magnificent white kitchen with real granite worktops, fresh cut flowers and an expesive coffee machine. I wish they would show me in my 1970s teak veneer Fablon enhanced kitchenette with an Asda smartprice sponge and some washing up liquid from the Pound shop!
But isn't this image they portray in the adverts all part of the manipulation? Buying from QVC means we belong to this group of people who have immaculate large houses and plenty of money, showing Ethel in her one bedroom flat that could do with a lick of paint isn't really aspirational. I always assumed the promos were filmed in houses they hired for the purpose, you wouldn't fit a film crew in my kitchen!

Latest posts

Back