Qvc Target Audience

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Autumn

Registered Shopper
I wonder who there Target Audience is.............:EasyMoney:

Qvc Fashion on the whole is very dated , Most being American brands that mayb popular and stylish over the pond however here it often misses the mark here.( with some exceptions)

The majority of the Beauty shows are aimed at the anti ageing market which again limits the audience, Beauty TSV's are creeping up in price with the majority of them being over the £40 and often not on easy pay. With many of the ranges now appearing on the highstreet its about time Qvc used there buying power and offered us some good deals for once.:Angry:

There are very few shows for men , the DIY shows are rare, there are no fashion shows for men ( imagine the hunky male models :Smile:). The technology shows are pretty poorly presented now days, with most of the experts gone and being replaced by the "Christmas Crew" i.e Jill Gauntlet , Abbey and co. The technology TSV only ever seem to be laptops , Cameras, tablets or sat navs.

There are rarely any shows that the kids would be interested in , the odd Xbox show is there limit. There aren't any Toy shows, they seem to forget that there audience have kids , grandchildren etc.

Pets shows are scarce, Many of us are animal lovers and would love to be able to treat out pets to items from Q, yet Qvc seem more interested in bringing the Awful Basso over than anything else.:vampire:

Kitchen shows are full of there own branded items, most end up with poor reviews and are never seen again , until the "new version" is created. Craft shows have all but gone, and the household items shows are a constant barrage of steam mops.

The theme days again limit there audiences not many husbands , partners or children will want to sit through a Fashion , Beauty or Jewellery day. ( Nor do I tbf ). Why not have a family day on Qvc , shows for each member of the family, at least the whole day wouldn't be void if you didn't like the particular show on at the time, Or perhaps a £20 and under day , when every item on air is under £20, this would give customers with a limited budget a chance to feel like they can watch Qvc and actually afford to buy items.

Qvc constantly ask for feed back and on this forum with give plenty of that , but they never seem to listen to there customers.:screamingpumpkin:

So why do Qvc keeping trying to sell us this "Family motto" , when most of the shows don't appeal to the whole family. ( Mayb the minion could tell us ) :Wink:

The fashion is really bad, I find many of the items very dated and frumpy and way too expensive. Not sure who the target audience is, anyone with money to spend.

I find the fashion far too formal, I rarely wear a dress. As for the continual mantra 'dress up and dress down', how many of the viewers go from their office to a club or night out? I expect the majority are housebound, unemployed or retired.

Also think the high cost of P&P puts people off buying. I always factor that cost in and then usually find items can be found cheaper elsewhere.

QVC's fashion I think most of the time just go with what QVC US are selling. Their fashion is aimed at bible belt middle America.

Trouble is when they attempt to step outside the box, its far to expensive if people want that then they will go to the stores that sell it.

The biggest seller for QVC is beauty it was published a few months ago that 30% of their sales are that. So of course they will really push that. They want the high end brands to show well they are happy to sell on QVC, or go for the drugstore/chemist brands from the US. I think they really really want to be Sephora. In their dreams.

Another 30% is probably jewellery. Judging by the sellouts there a lot of older women sitting at home in front of the telly with money to burn on diamonique but also gold jewelry.

I think their target audience is ANYBODY who owns a credit or debit card, who has a TV, phone or computer and can be persuaded to shop !

Another 30% is probably jewellery. Judging by the sellouts there a lot of older women sitting at home in front of the telly with money to burn on diamonique but also gold jewelry.[/QUOTE. What makes you think it's us older women who have money to burn. I certainly haven't and Diamonique is not on my shopping list either in fact I am quite happy with the Diamond jewellery I have acquired over the years and it was not bought from QVC either. These days most of the jewellery I wear is Silver.

Another 30% is probably jewellery. Judging by the sellouts there a lot of older women sitting at home in front of the telly with money to burn on diamonique but also gold jewelry.[/QUOTE. What makes you think it's us older women who have money to burn. I certainly haven't and Diamonique is not on my shopping list either in fact I am quite happy with the Diamond jewellery I have acquired over the years and it was not bought from QVC either. These days most of the jewellery I wear is Silver.

We will never know exactly who is doing the purchasing but I can assure you there are a lot of retired pensioners with disposable incomes who are prepared to spend it. I wish I was one of them.
I like new and different things so would not be happy to keep wearing the same things over and over again but I do not buy much diamonique as it is a waste of money in my opinion much as I would like to.

What about women in their 30's or 40's who work some of the time and still like to wear nice make up, look after their skin but don't want anti -ageing and don't really have time to shop with young children in tow? Or younger women on maternity leave? I would love to see some great toys for the children at Christmas. Q are missing a trick there. At the mo Amazon gets all my custom especially on their week of lightning deals pre christmas.
As for clothes I wear the odd Kim and co top at work but at home I like stuff like the white stuff, Joe Browns, Mantaray and Marks and spencer Indigo range. Q dont really cater for me on clothes apart from my favourite yong kim tunic.
Jewellery- I would love to see some more quirky silver. The silver they do is far too mainstream. I love the eternal range and a Nour popcorn gunmetal bangle.
I have six pieces of eek, all in classic MODERN designs like my circle pendant. I saw some of the diamoneek day and so much of it looked like a throwback to the 80's - especially the rings. The pendants are a bit more tempting though. I am not interested in the Tova diamonique and dont want to look like I belong in the vault at the tower of London. Much of eek is so dated. I do like the AY ring though. It's deceptively non-bling when worn with my jeans and yes....a crisp white shirt!!! lol.And it is quirky so I like it.
I think Mally fits my needs on the fresh looking make up front without looking too much like a teenager. It's just right for me. But skincare-Q could do better. They do cater for a lot of people but far too much bias towards anti ageing. And too many brands of nail varnish. I think RCM, Nails inc and Leighton Denny pretty much cover it and they dont really need OPI or Haute.

I think they're on a hiding to nothing. Those of us who like casual day wear and don't need much for evenings will get a perfectly good range on the high street or at supermarkets - for a fraction of the price. Outerwear I can get better deals on the high street. Similarly shoes - shopping outlets are great for picking up a great deal. If I'm spending £40+ on a top I expect to have it in my wardrobe for years to come so I get equivalent value for it but I usually get fed up with it so it just sits in my wardrobe because it's an "investment piece" for me. Now that I know which cosmetic ranges I like, I shop around on the net and get much better deals with little or no p&p (their biggest mistake is to overcharge p&p then pretend it doesn't exist when they quote the price to us. No, the price to me is what goes out of my bank account.) I can make all the food they sell for a fraction of the price. Jewellery - similarly now I know what make I like I watch ebay or the manufacturer's site for discount deals or even make my own. On and on it goes - and they have to fund a tv channel on top of everything. It's a tough old world out there and survival of the fittest. Cheapskates like me aren't their target market. Anyone easily swayed and with money to burn is.

Last edited:
Sadly because its an American company then 90% of the offerings will be from the U.S.

I spend nowhere near what I used to 5 or 6 years ago (thankfully) because the whole 'experience' of telly shopping has become boring. The products are same old same old. The companies who would do only 1 tsv a year, now pop up every couple of months e.g. Honora, Charlie Bears, B & W, Yankee Candles, L'occitane, with inbetween 'fillers' of QVC own brands like Northern Nights or Kitchen Essentials. There used to be Blue Moon events, a greater range of crockery/pottery shows, countless number of proper jewellery programmes and far more tasteful Christmas decoration products than the market stall tat now on offer.

Some may like the brash shoutiness of the U.S vendors, who purport to have star dusted credentials as make-up/hairdresser/fashion dresser to 'stars' I've never heard of !!!! but for me, when gobby Mally, hyper Lennie or puffed up Basso comes on, then I switch off.

I believe Q are struggling. Presenters are being changed more frequently, their new sets obviously didn't work with the mish mash of coloured jigsaw pieces and now being replaced with Persil white blindness, delivery systems are all over the place, and more products are on Advanced Orders only !!!!

A spent force to be sure.

I honestly do think they`re desperate and trying to target anybody with anything they can but I also think they`re failing miserably. There`ll always be the die hard fans of certain Q brands and there`ll always be those people to whom telly shopping is a way of life but nowadays the majority of people want value for money, a wide choice of items and no added expense such as high p and p or costly returns.
Every penny counts these days and nowadays Q rarely fit the bill. Most of their clothes are awful but even when I see the odd item I like, I won`t order it because of p and p and the cost of returning it if it doesn`t fit or I dislike it. The few things I still buy from Q are little and far between and only because they`re still cheaper on Q or because they`re in a tsv but they last me ages ( SBC and Mally ) so I tend to purchase only once a year.
Between us, me and OH have 5 grown up kids who all have spouses or partners and 7 grandkids of various ages. That`s a lot of birthday and Christmas gifts. My only income is a small pension so its always a challenge to spread it as far as i can. Consequently its Amazon Melissa and Doug range for the little ones, Ebay for pearl jewellery, silk scarves, leather gloves etc, Debenhams during their sales for sterling silver earrings, pendants, bangles etc , Boots for their weekly half price Christmas gift sets such as Soap and Glory and whenever I shop in Asda I pay a fiver onto a gift card and come Christmas time it buys chocolates, nightwear for the grandkids, items of clothing and Christmas drinks or food.

It still shocks me today when a TSV or OTO is posted on here and 99% of us think its awful yet it goes to air and sells out :Shok:, either Qvc have very small stocks of certain items or some customers literally but anything.

I think we have all become much more savvy shoppers, often I will see an item on Q , watch the demo and the buy from elsewhere. The P&P costs are extortionate atm , it wouldn't be so bad if we were paying for next day delivery but on average, anything I order is at least 4 days, the 30mbg is handy at times but the cost of returning the item is so high that the 30mbg is as good as useless most of the time.

QUOTE=Bettyboo;709431]

We will never know exactly who is doing the purchasing but I can assure you there are a lot of retired pensioners with disposable incomes who are prepared to spend it. I wish I was one of them. [/QUOTE]

There's a "premium supermarket" near us, I rarely shop there and certainly wouldn't use it for a "big shop", but when I do go in there it's full of older people who obviously can and will pay their high prices.

Last edited:
Qvc seem to have cultivated this kind of bubble where i'm meant to believe diane gilman is a huge brand when in fairness she is a large tv shopping brand. it could go for a few of their brands. the same shows all the time only serve to increase that view.

Though it is geared towards women as i suspect they are more likely to impulse purchase.

I will say their audience tends to be women of varying ages, as opposed to bid that likes to focus/"befriend" the elderly and vunerable.

Based on the 'fashion', sizing and (lack of) style, anti-ageing focus, the jewellery, the home brands etc etc their main audience (whether it is their target audience or not, in fadt sure they are trying to spread the net wider) is 100 women and women over ?40 or 50 surely? Chloe is the only presenter in my age bracket.

I have never seen anything I would ever wear on qvc - even 55 year old mum wouldn't! And I do think younger shoppers more savvy about shopping around and getting a better deal elsewhere online. Think that's why they are making attempts to diversify...

Just wondering at what age do we become "elderly and vulnerable" ?

I turned 65 last week - ok I might be classed elderly by a 21 year old, but vulnerable ? not on your ****** life !
My Dad is 90 today, in a Home and can barely use the tv remote, so yes I would say he was elderly and vulnerable. I tend to think if you are mentally vulnerable then you would be less capable of being able to order by phone or computer, let alone figure out the message and what to do on Q cut !!!!!!

I've just turned 60 and certainly don't see myself as elderly, leading a very fully and active life. I very rarely see any fashion (?) I like on QVC, preferring to try things on in the shops I buy from and certainly would not pay their extortionate prices either. My dear sister-in-law on the other hand buys a load of tat from them that she really has no use for, just needs the fix of shopping as she cannot get out very easily.
I've also found that the high street beauty brands cater very well for my beauty needs and I've saved myself a packet.
I've bought a few things from the Bethleham Lights range but only because I can't find them anywhere else and I have been very pleased with these items.
I've gone from being an ardent QVC fan to someone who thinks they've gone downhill fast!

The high street has not satisfied my beauty needs over the years- and I really did give it a go from the boots and superdrug ranges to the body shop and the department stores. It was the early days of Liz Earle that got me in to Q beauty and I have not really looked back- gone from Liz Earle to Emma Hardie with a bit of dabbling in Elemis along the way. I always used to buy good quality make up from the department stores- bobbi brown, Mac, clinique and Estee Lauder mainly. Never bought Q make up until I tried Smashbox then Laura Geller and Mally. It is Mally make up which for the very first time I have used every last drop of a foundation or lipgloss or eyeshadow stick. Before that was a lot of waste in my trial and error high street make up mountain. I no longer have a make up stockpile-just one bag plus a few spares of favourite items.

Latest posts

Back