Memory Foam

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I'm tempted by a memory foam topper, either from Q or IW but, I have heard that some people have had problems with bad smells from memory foam. Just wondering if any forumites have ventured into memory foam land and can relate any experiences?

I bought 2 x single ones from the QVC outlet shop for my superking size bed......very cheap (this was years ago) and they have proved a wonderful buy.

There was a slight aroma for a while but nothing I couldn't cope with.

The smell from brand new feather pillows as much worse and lasted much longer.

The comfort is superb.

Wouldn't be without memory foam either! I have a mattress and pillows. I had a cheap pillow once that was a bit smelly when I got it but I put it outside to air for a couple of days and the smell soon went. Never had any issues with my mattress smelling or more expensive pillows.

I have a double bed QVC 4cm deep memory foam topper. It is about 8 years old now. Love it and am currently using it on a super King mattress as I haven't got round to buying one for my new bed. It has a washable cover.
I especially love it as I am a very cold person and it keeps my hot water bottle warm all night. Conversely it does mean that it is a little hot in the summer. I have tried coolmax sheets but they do not really make any difference. I suppose I should take it off in the summer so as to sleep cooler but it is just so comfortable that I cannot give it up for 6 months.

Love my memory foam mattress too - it can make you warm though - but it is so comfortable. I have had it for a few years, and it did have a slight smell but it soon went. I can't sleep on ordinary mattresses as I have fibromyalgia and they hurt my hips and ribs, so going on holiday is fun.

I have a Tempur memory foam mattress and it is fantastic. Previously had a less expensive one which was also great. No probs with smells. They do tend to keep you warm though. Not a problem for me as I am a cold person but something to be aware of.

I have the Magniflex topper, woolly on one side, smooth on the other. I love it, have one at home and one at the caravan. It is the only thing that Mr CC has agreed was a decent buy off QVC! I haven't noticed any smell at all but if you get hot at night they may not be for you.

CC

I don't have a topper but sleep on a memory foam mattress from Hypnia and I love it.

I purchased one from Q but didn't get on with it. I then bought a new mattress which had a similar thing incorporated.

I do seem to be in the minority though, folk have raved about them for years.

Another thumbs up from me! First ever purchase from Q and still going strong. That was from Anthony so must have been a good while ago.

I don't have a topper but sleep on a memory foam mattress from Hypnia and I love it.

Our household all have Hypnia mattresses, one of the many advantages for me is the hypoallergenic factor which is great for my family members who need that. Had them for I think around 8 years now and they do give a little over time but still are so comfortable. Me and Mr LJ don't use a quilt, just sheets and a comforter it's that warm and just sheets in the summer, I sort of look it as a money saving device in that respect, less heating. BUT I do find it too hot on crazy summer nights.

i have a tradditional handmade tufted bed. its superb quality but the memory foam toppper has put it in anather league. on top of that i have a not very deep feather bed and on top of that an all cotton quilted matress protector.....total bliss

i have a tradditional handmade tufted bed. its superb quality but the memory foam toppper has put it in anather league. on top of that i have a not very deep feather bed and on top of that an all cotton quilted matress protector.....total bliss
The princess and the pea syndrome? What sheets do you have to top all this utter luxury?

If you're worried about a traditional memory foam mattress or topper being too warm for you, there are several cool foam brands available now which don't make you hot. I've had both, and the cool foam is great - comfort without being too warm.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. Mum has one other question - she is particularly sensitive to smells and is worried about reports that some of these foams really smell bad. Did any of you have an issue with the smell? and did it linger long?

Thanks everyone for your input on this. Mum has one other question - she is particularly sensitive to smells and is worried about reports that some of these foams really smell bad. Did any of you have an issue with the smell? and did it linger long?
Leave the item unpacked in a room for 24 hours and the smell has almost gone. Then start using and after a few days there is no smell. Mine is 8 years old so the smell of the new ones may even be less nowadays.
As to having a cool one, I bought one of the magniflex cool ones but returned it as it was no cooler than my current memory foam topper. I even used a laser thermostat to check the temperatures as I really wanted the new cool ones to work.

Latest posts

Back