Michael Perrys Garden TSV 16/04/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I often see magazines using hanging baskets for tomatoes- does this work or is it just a glossy mag stupid idea. Unfortunately we get the sun at the front so not sure what tomatoes would look like at the front door.

So Boffy. Why can't I get cosmos to germinate? They point blank refuse. I have the heated box and all the rest of it but they don't grow. Calendulas? I can sell them to the Callens. Cosmos? No show. Advice please. While we're at it, I can't germinate ****** courgettes either. Mum grows them to feed the nation and I can't even raise one plant.

CC
CandyCane, I am growing some Cosmos. In one of those clear containers Morrys put their millionaire shortcake squares and the chocolate cornflakes. Compost, pop seeds in, cover with a little bit more compost, water, close the lid and onto the kitchen window. Am doing a fair few different ones, will take a picture.

Decided to have something unusual in hanging basket so went to R Evison website and bought a clematis for hanging basket came to me with loads of buds 2years old so fingers x
I met him many years ago when me and my amazing mum used to go to Chelsea Flower show. I still have all the plants. One in particular he wrapped up and sold to me himself. I think its a Hagley Hybrid. Huge pink flowers never fails to look amazing.

Attachments

• Plant TSV 1.jpg
    Plant TSV 1.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Plant TSV 2.jpg
    Plant TSV 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Plant TSV 3.jpg
    Plant TSV 3.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Plant TSV 4.jpg
    Plant TSV 4.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Plant TSV 5.jpg
    Plant TSV 5.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 59
This looks nice! I already have the tower pot though. I'll see how much it is and how big the plant is. I usually get carried away, pay the money and get little more than a seedling delivered - which promptly dies.

CC

This looks nice! I already have the tower pot though. I'll see how much it is and how big the plant is. I usually get carried away, pay the money and get little more than a seedling delivered - which promptly dies.

CC
Does depend on how big the plant is. I suspect its a large plug that you have to grow on a bit. May flower this year but not with loads of flowers as in the picture. Could be wrong.

T&M are notorious for showing big plants and then sending out tiny ones. That's why I buy P2G as at least you get the size that's shown. Yes they cost more but you don't have to plant on, look after them for 2 months, forget about them and return to find them withered, dried up and dead. I'm not the best gardener and have wasted a fair bit of money on plug plants.

CC

The advice with the clematis i believe is that the ones you buy in supermarket are far to young to go into the ground best to pot up into a slightly larger pot and keep until the following growing season when they have stronger roots that can handle being put in a border

The reviews on Trustpilot are not good for T&M. Maybe they‘ll have improved based on customer feedback. 🤔

I’ve bought some fuchsias and a hellebore from Plants2gardens and they were large, well packaged and very healthy, but I usually get my plants from garden centres or similar or my friends takes cuttings, grows them on and them gives them to me. My garden is full now as I only get shrubs or perennials, but it means that I’m not desperate for any more plants at the moment unless something really unusual comes along of course.

If you are an experienced gardener and know what T&M sizes are like you can get some good deals but it depends on a lot on good weather and a myriad of other variables. I agree Plants2Garden have good sized plants but they are quite expensive and sometimes way overpriced compared to some high street and online outlets.

Has anyone used Mont Rose much before? (Now called Precious Plants!)

I know they sell on QVC and I once bought bulbs direct from them..

They do some good sale offers and free delivery (direct) and I’ve got my eye on a couple of their shrubs...

One of which is Philadelphus Belle Etoile aka mock orange?
In 2 litre pot and £14 free delivery atm?

Was also tempted to get a peony bare root from them for my mum.

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap peony bare root from T&M.
Wasn’t expecting much (esp after a half dead magnolia I bought), but it was flowering well from first year and it’s already well established this year 😃

I do love them! Although it was coated in farming ants last year, the blooms were stunning and changed colour too!

Has anyone used Mont Rose much before? (Now called Precious Plants!)

I know they sell on QVC and I once bought bulbs direct from them..

They do some good sale offers and free delivery (direct) and I’ve got my eye on a couple of their shrubs...

One of which is Philadelphus Belle Etoile aka mock orange?
In 2 litre pot and £14 free delivery atm?

Was also tempted to get a peony bare root from them for my mum.

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap peony bare root from T&M.
Wasn’t expecting much (esp after a half dead magnolia I bought), but it was flowering well from first year and it’s already well established this year 😃

I do love them! Although it was coated in farming ants last year, the blooms were stunning and changed colour too!
Thats not a bad price including free delivery. I bought a 2 litre size for around £8.99 in Homebase or B&Q. The smell is beautiful and they grow quite fast. They need full sun though to put on a show.

Philadelphus is my favourite plant after roses as I love anything scented. I have 3 at present but lost a very old one when part of the garden was cleared recently. I find them very easy to take cuttings.

My tulips are very poor this year for some reason, very disappointed.

Thats not a bad price including free delivery. I bought a 2 litre size for around £8.99 in Homebase or B&Q. The smell is beautiful and they grow quite fast. They need full sun though to put on a show.
Oh thanks very much for that... 😃

Being housebound am limited to online shopping only - or catalogues - which is frustrating bc it’s so hard not ever seeing things first and not ideal for plants etc...

But sounds as if that’s not too bad a deal then.

I also have the smelling ability of a sniffer dog, so the fragrance was definitely an appealing factor!

My garden is north facing but there are spots of full sun on there’s the front...

Hmm think I may go for it then, thank you!

(Could ask mum or carer to go to garden centre for me but former has covid quite badly and a new puppy (!) bless her and the latter dug up my “dead bush” today - am not even sure it was dead and was a tree!!)

Philadelphus is my favourite plant after roses as I love anything scented. I have 3 at present but lost a very old one when part of the garden was cleared recently. I find them very easy to take cuttings.

Oh that’s good to know, thank you!

Do you have them in pots or ground?

Not advanced enough for cuttings - yet!!
(I am with my houseplants mind you - a propagating pro!)

Funny you should say that about your tulips - thought it was just me.

Hyacinths were amazing then the tulips been trying and I’ve got one in flower in a huge pot of about 8 and in the bed I can see one head and a lot of flowerless stalks 😏

Are Tulips for one season only

Are Tulips for one season only
Boffy, tulips are bulbs and should come back every year. We got ours from Poundland a few years ago, 8 for a quid and they come back, they are flowering now.

Clematis Taiga is in a plant book I got this morning from You Garden and is £6.99 for a plant in a 9cm pot. You Garden is basically Garden Bargains who sell on Ideal World.

Latest posts

Back