Michael Perrys Garden TSV 16/04/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We have a Josephine as well Boffy, And a couple of Montana's and an old Nelly Moser. All of mine came from Morrys. The latest one I have bought is purple and pink and is a good size and cost £1.79.
We also have a Josephine. It reminds me of vintage velvet. It’s been in our garden for almost 20 years and grows up an archway. We have quite a big garden with hedges, shrubs and trees so I tend to stick Clematis anywhere in the borders and just let them go and ramble through the other plants. It’s always a nice surprise when I forget that I’ve planted one and a flower suddenly appears. Currently have Avalanche just starting to flower. 😀

Thompson & Morgan 2x 7cm Clematis Taiga with Tower Pot
Item Number: 727920
QVC Price £39.00
Todays Special Value Price £24.99
P&P £4.95
Advanced Order for 09/05/22

Showy, hardy and truly impressive, this Clematis 'Taiga' from Thompson & Morgan will create a spectacular contrast in your garden. Developed from Japanese breeding, this eye-catching plant produces a plethora of purple and green flowers for a stunning display. Even better, this opulent clematis is easy to grow and prune, plus its completely hardy which means it grows bigger and better for you, year after year!
*A great saving: If you were to buy these items individually, directly from Thompson & Morgan you’d pay £37.98, plus P&P. So for our Today’s Special Value price of just £24.99, plus P&P, you’re saving £14.03.
Delivered directly from Thompson & Morgan - please allow 7 - 10 working days for delivery to UK Mainland, Highlands and islands only (excluding Northern Ireland).

Purple beauty
- producing countless passion flower like blooms over the summer against a canvas of rich green foliage, this climbing plant is a real show-off! Growing up to 200cm high and 100cm wide, you'll see layer upon layer of purple and green flowers, almost resembling passion flowers. Its compact habit also makes it ideal for the included tower pot.
Hardy and happy - this clematis is completely hardy, growing bigger and better each year. Whether you're covering walls, fencing or growing it in a container, it couldn’t be easier to look after - all you have to do is cut it back at the end of the season. It's available on Advanced Order too, so you can plant it out as soon as you receive it. Why not grow it with a winter clematis for a fabulously year-round display?
  • Hardy perennial
  • Flowering period: June - September
  • Plant position: sun or semi-shade
  • Soil type: free draining, fertile, well-drained soil
  • Mature height (h x w): 200cm x 100cm (78.7" x 39.4")
Contains:
  • 2 x Clematis Taiga (7cm pots) - with purple and green flowers
  • 1 x tower pot

Cultural instructions:

• Water your clematis thoroughly after planting and then every two weeks in the first three months
  • Cover the soil surface around the plant base with tiles or stones to keep the roots cool and moist, which can prevent the fungal disease clematis wilt
  • This variety of clematis flowers in early spring on the previous year's growth. Pruning should be undertaken in March when you cut to 20cm to 25cm above the ground to a healthy bud, this encourages strong vigorous shoots. When pruning Clematis 'Taiga', remove any damaged or dead stems entirely before cutting back the remaining stems to a pair of healthy buds to maintain the plant within its allotted space
  • Feed and water frequently throughout the growing season to maintain consistently moist soil conditions (but never too wet or too dry)
All measurements are approximate

That's not bad for 2 plants and a planter. I'll be interested to see how big the plants are though. Quite tempted.

CC

I’ve ordered to give them a try. It is a good price. I bought the Taiga clematis from Chatsworth garden show when it was first introduced but I put it in a shady corner and it didn’t take. Although, sometimes a clematis will surprise me a couple of years after planting and suddenly start growing. 😀

That pot is far too small for a group 2 clematis like this one to be happy in for very long. They always do much better in the ground.
Lost count of the different ones I’ve planted round the garden growing up the hedges, fences & into the big trees.I tend to go a bit mad when they sell them so cheaply in the supermarkets & have even resorted to planting them round the edges of our fields.
If you want to try growing tomatoes in hanging baskets the variety I’ve had most success with doing that is Tumbler.

Its not bad VFM £30.00 for two and the pot. I would plant one in the border and just one in the pot with a view to moving it to a much larger one or a border. But you could buy just one plug plant anywhere and grow it on and plant it out because £30.00 is still £30.00

Another issue with this is the pruning. Its not quite as easy as they are saying. If you don't prune it properly you will end up with flowers at the top and none at the bottom. Which is not ideal. You can get around that by pruning every other stem to the first lower leaf bud. That way you have half the plant flowering and the other stems catching up later. If you dont prune them you dont get such a nice even show. You can of course leave it if your not sure.

Haven't had a chance to see the presentation so I've talked myself out of it. I was down at the house today and miracles of miracles, my wisteria that I must have had for 7 years or more has got flowers starting to grow on it for the first time. They are small and I don't know if they'll come to anything but I'll keep you posted. I also have a Himalayan blue poppy that I thought was dead but no, greenery is peeping out of some pretty brown looking leaves. I'll be far too busy tending to these plants to worry about the clematis. Gardening Direct are selling them in any event for £6.99 and I have several tower pots so I could get one much cheaper if I change my mind.

CC

Latest posts

Back