Michelle Hope and Twitter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Agree we certainly live in a techno age compared to the good old days!
If people want to use it in small does and it keeps them happy then so be it!
A lot of it is most definitely Fake News, Fake Reviews, Fake Friends and I could go on and on!

I must admit I am a bit addicted to my Ipad. Although I don't take it out with me I check things all the time.I haven't got a smart phone though and don't do Twitter or Facebook.

MH is always being lectured about not being on Twitter and to be honest they treat her like shes a child because she won't do it like she hasn't got the capacity to " get" it.

If she really wanted to she could easily work it out but once you tell people to contact you they will and you will get bombarded.Im sure she realises this.

Judging by the daft questions and even dafter random loveydovey xxx posts if I was a businesswoman I would avoid it like the plague too. How anyone in business gets anything done is beyond me. I appreciate that those in the league of Alan Sugar etc don't actually do it themselves but look at that YC person - how he ever had time to actually sell anything in his shop is beyond me or Flinty Bint, how she will find time to bake those Devon scones between the twatts, selfies etc.

I've got a smartphone but only use it for texting or phone calls. I do have it with me most of the time but only check it if a text notification comes in or if it rings. I refuse to let technology rule my life. That's possibly why I am not on Twitter, Facebook or any of the other social media platforms. I'm not interested in which celebrity had what for breakfast or any of the other odd things people think we'd be interested in. However, I am a very sociable person and so it's not that I'm not interested in people. I simply phone them or go round to see them.

Many of the presenters think it's the "in thing" to be on Twitter and Facebook and some spend a lot of the shows telling/begging people to tweet in. Good for Michelle for standing her ground!

I haven't put facebook on my phone, nor do I intend to. I like it when say, Amazon deliver a parcel, and you immediately get a text telling you this. I don't get people who walk around with their phones in their hands all the time.

There is a youngish girl who lives over the road from me, who used to have a car. I presume she lost her licence as she is having lessons again and her car disappeared about a year and a half ago - the car was new. When she goes out to the driving instructors car, she is always talking on her phone. When she gets back, the second her feet hit the ground, her phone is out once more and she is checking it. Hmmmm wonder how she lost her licence? I presume she will use her phone whilst driving as she does not appear to be able to live without it at all.

Sadly its not only QVC who want you to Twitter/Facebook, I've noticed that certain magazines / columnists / businesses can only be contacted this way. So what happened to the telephone number, email address, then ? its certainly a case of this is the way we are going and sod everyone else. And more and more I see 'log in via your Facebook account' - that's when I yell at the computer !

Oh for the days of 'answers on a postcard' !!!!!

At times it is nigh on impossible to find a postal address or landlines number for businesses (HMRC is one of the worst). Personally I find the ones most likely to be like this is those you are likely to be complaining to.

And many of them are 'scantily dressed' with enormous bosoms on show

Don't you think with all this "slebritty" nonsense that young people nowadays think all they have to do in life is go on a talentless show or get themselves on the internet in thongs which show off their rather large bottoms, have their breasts hanging out, chuck in a few bad hair extensions and some model agency will "discover them".

I have a phone but all it does is phone people and send texts. I use it on nights out and keep it in the car and it costs me about £5 every 3 months. Perfect.

CC

Not all Presenters are on Fakebook or even Twitter! A lot of them don't use it frequently either, I can only think of some who do Julia, Debbie, Catherine and maybe a few others!

Social Media is ok in small doses but the fakeness and photoshop stuff is awful and don't get me started on these 'I'm a Fad Blogger' cause I'm addicted to my zillions of Feeebies and yes I am very Greedy! :mysmilie_852:

Not all Presenters are on Fakebook or even Twitter! A lot of them don't use it frequently either, I can only think of some who do Julia, Debbie, Catherine and maybe a few others!

Social Media is ok in small doses but the fakeness and photoshop stuff is awful and don't get me started on these 'I'm a Fad Blogger' cause I'm addicted to my zillions of Feeebies and yes I am very Greedy! :mysmilie_852:

I agree some of them don't do it and hardly update their blogs .I don't blame them but I think the blogs might be part of their contract.

Its distracting any way having them constantly looking at Twitter and discussing the contents when you're trying to make a decision about purchasing.

FB and Twatter have made lots of trouble between people in my opinion . It's easy to be nasty and spread vicious rumours when not actually face to face with someone. Also ,flaming selfies,blags,posting every facet of daily life has made a shallow,vain and obsessed group of people who spend too much time on social media instead of dealing with real issues.I like to look on FB but none of my business goes on there.If there's a problem with someone ,it's a real live person I know and deal with-face to face.

I was in Asda the other day when two women had a huge bust-up. I stood aghast as they traded all sorts of nasty insults. It culminated with one of them saying: "Right, I'm taking you off my Facebook. I don't want nothin' (sic) more to do wiv ya" (sic) and stormed off.

I have a cheap 'phone (an Alcatel One Touch Pixi 3.5) which is a basic smartphone. I keep it in flight mode unless I'm actually using it for something. It's nice to have a mobile, especially when I'm out and about, but I hardly ever use it. I sometimes check my emails in the clubhouse at my flying club, and the odd bit of news, but that's about it. I've got the BBC weather app and an app for my credit card. I don't even use 50mb of data most months! I don't do twittering. I have to access it sometimes (albeit reluctantly) when I need a "chicken nugget" quote or something.

I find it particularly distasteful when people post condolences on social media. I personally think it's highly inappropriate - but then I am a bit odd in some ways. I actually like to write letters and always keep a pad of Basildon Bond, some post cards and stamps handy. Sometimes sending a letter or postcard can actually save time and hassle.

I've been invited round to a work colleague's house for dinner next week. Unusually I accepted as I do genuinely like this person. I will make a point of taking a nice gift (some Rémy Martin VSOP champagne cognac and some flowers for his girlfriend) and I will make a point of writing a "thank you" letter or card afterwards. To me that's just the right thing to do. I will also try to be engaging and not outstay my welcome.

I was in Asda the other day when two women had a huge bust-up. I stood aghast as they traded all sorts of nasty insults. It culminated with one of them saying: "Right, I'm taking you off my Facebook. I don't want nothin' (sic) more to do wiv ya" (sic) and stormed off.

I have a cheap 'phone (an Alcatel One Touch Pixi 3.5) which is a basic smartphone. I keep it in flight mode unless I'm actually using it for something. It's nice to have a mobile, especially when I'm out and about, but I hardly ever use it. I sometimes check my emails in the clubhouse at my flying club, and the odd bit of news, but that's about it. I've got the BBC weather app and an app for my credit card. I don't even use 50mb of data most months! I don't do twittering. I have to access it sometimes (albeit reluctantly) when I need a "chicken nugget" quote or something.

I find it particularly distasteful when people post condolences on social media. I personally think it's highly inappropriate - but then I am a bit odd in some ways. I actually like to write letters and always keep a pad of Basildon Bond, some post cards and stamps handy. Sometimes sending a letter or postcard can actually save time and hassle.

I've been invited round to a work colleague's house for dinner next week. Unusually I accepted as I do genuinely like this person. I will make a point of taking a nice gift (some Rémy Martin VSOP champagne cognac and some flowers for his girlfriend) and I will make a point of writing a "thank you" letter or card afterwards. To me that's just the right thing to do. I will also try to be engaging and not outstay my welcome.

Facebook seems to be the cause of many problems in people's lives Most of Jeremy Kyle shows participants live their whole relationship via face book and texting.They seem unable to have a face to face conversation .

I can see its good for close family members who are far away but why you would want to open up the intimacies of your life to all and sundry is beyond me.

Hope you enjoy your dinner.Remember. no phone checking at the table !

Last edited:
It's so refreshing to read that there are a lot of people on this forum like me; hooray! I am not & do not wish to be on Facebook or Twatter! I am a private person & if I wish people to know things I will either call them, visit them or send a card or letter. I do find posting your whole life on these sites very strange & to be honest, who really cares what you've had for breakfast, how much ironing you have left or how much you love your partner/friend etc? Why not tell them or show them rather than bore the rest of us? I have been seriously ill recently & chose to hide away & keep it quiet, only telling my immediate family & very few friends. One of the reasons for this (apart from wanting peace & quiet & not wanting people to worry) is that I didn't want my health being discussed all over Facebook! It really did scare me that people would be discussing me as my friends on Facebook have told me about things they have found out on Facebook ranging from health conditions, deaths, affairs. I was born in an era where "you didn't air your dirty laundry in public" & it makes me very uncomfortable sometimes. I have had a few heated show downs in the past with people posting photos of me too which I have not given permission for. I do think that people who do like this way of life need to be more sensitive to people like us who don't wish to join in as it can sometimes cause upset & distress. Good on Michelle for standing up to Pippa, no one should feel pressured or strange just because they don't wish to share their lives with the whole world.

Julius, condolences on Twatter are a particular bugbear of mine. If you read about (a famous) someone's death online, the article is packed with Tweets from all the usual suspects. What is wrong with PRIVATELY sending a sympathy card to the bereaved family? Ah, the fact that you don't actually know them perhaps!!!!!!

It's like everything else in life, good in small doses!
The constant posting on Fakebook and liking Posts is actually quite stalkerish in my eyes! I know nobody in real life who has ever met somebody on it, (well apart from the obvious one)! :mysmilie_17:
In fact most people I know moan about it all the time, why the hell are they on it then? Each to their own and all that but there MUST be something seriously lacking in their real lives to continue this behaviour/obsession on a daily basis! :mysmilie_43:

It's so refreshing to read that there are a lot of people on this forum like me; hooray! I am not & do not wish to be on Facebook or Twatter! I am a private person & if I wish people to know things I will either call them, visit them or send a card or letter. I do find posting your whole life on these sites very strange & to be honest, who really cares what you've had for breakfast, how much ironing you have left or how much you love your partner/friend etc? Why not tell them or show them rather than bore the rest of us? I have been seriously ill recently & chose to hide away & keep it quiet, only telling my immediate family & very few friends. One of the reasons for this (apart from wanting peace & quiet & not wanting people to worry) is that I didn't want my health being discussed all over Facebook! It really did scare me that people would be discussing me as my friends on Facebook have told me about things they have found out on Facebook ranging from health conditions, deaths, affairs. I was born in an era where "you didn't air your dirty laundry in public" & it makes me very uncomfortable sometimes. I have had a few heated show downs in the past with people posting photos of me too which I have not given permission for. I do think that people who do like this way of life need to be more sensitive to people like us who don't wish to join in as it can sometimes cause upset & distress. Good on Michelle for standing up to Pippa, no one should feel pressured or strange just because they don't wish to share their lives with the whole world.

I used to supervise a young lady who used to moan about the amount of her Facebook friends who she didnt want .She would meet someone in passing and they would ask her to be a friend and instead of saying no she would agree and then regret it. These are not real friends but she still felt she had to talk with them via Facebook and couldn't get rid of them.
I'm sure there are many like that.Thankfully my friends don't do Facebook either.

We have an internal social media network at my place of work. When they launched it I started getting all these "friend" requests from people with whom I've not even any acquaintance. I made a point of messaging them back saying: "Sorry, do I know you?" to which most of them didn't reply. Hopefully I got my point across. Unfortunately in my line of work this whole idea of networking is rife. My manager actually said in in my recent performance review that I make it very difficult for people to get to know me. I don't see why they have to know me. I try to do a good job and am polite to everyone. Why should they need to know me?

I only have a handful of friends on FB, and these are genuine friends that I know, plus family members.

I don't use it much, just don't find it very interesting, none of my friends are avid users either. The occasional thing crops up that is funny/useful, or a photo (usually of dogs or horses!).

The most useful thing for me is being part of a group relating to my main hobby, access to a lot of expertise and help.

Twitter a definite no-no for me!!

Firstly S Princess I hope your health is improving and you feel up to participating in our daft banter.

At my work we are constantly being "urged" to participate in FB and twatter feeds. As soon as I get the email I just delete it - I'm there to work not to spend my day liking stupid people's equally stupid posts and I've actually told them to tot up the time wasted on this crap (we sell our service on a time basis). I'm too near retirement to worry about not fitting into this type of crap.

Latest posts

Back