Mineral oils - double standards?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
It wasn't all that long ago I heard Alison Young telling us all how bad it was to be using mineral oils on our skin. Even to the point where she claimed to have rooted through other presenter's dressing rooms, binning products she found containing them. Now, however, we have (I think) Josie Maran products, some of which contain mineral oil and it's being sold as though it's the greatest thing since the last greatest thing. How come? Is this new directive from head office in the USA - you can't make negative claims about an ingredient now if it happens to show up in one of the products you're trying to flog?

I remember thinking this a while ago. When you buy Gale Hayman lip lift on QVC it always arrives unboxed. I happened to find one cheaper on ebay that came in a box and was very surprised to see that mineral oil was one of the major ingredients. Especially so as AY always kept saying "products with mineral oil don't sink into the skin, but this does!".

What do we listen to then?

Another reason why QVC should give us a full list on ingredients on the website. I've had to return products in the past because I've discovered after purchase that they contain something that I cannot tolerate, manuka honey, for example.

I can't recall off the top of my head which one it was now. I know the Argan is 100% though :) I'm sure I still have the programme on the DVR so I'll have a look and see.

But AY is just a sales woman selling as much as she can to get her pay packet. So now its all which celeb uses what, or which celeb is behind certain brand.

I have no problem with mineral oil, but its usually in cleansers so not on the skin that long. Trouble is I think we get brainwashed by all these so called experts, who then changed their minds a few years down the line which ingredients are bogey men of beauty.

Mineral Oil was the big baddie for years, yet everyone seems to swear by Vaslene as a lip balm which is pure mineral oil. Now the big bad is parabens.

I never believe a word AY says anyway.
She acts as if she knows every little secret about beauty because she is our "beauty expert with 20 years in the industry". But her knowledge is far from outstanding, she is a saleswoman. The buyers will source the products, it's nothing to do with her. And anyone with a bit of knowledge about beauty who reads blogs or the like will know about much more up to date products and info than she does.

I love mineral oil for some things it has its uses . burns units use mineral oil as you are less likely to have an adverse reaction. and I prefer Vaseline to all the other lip balms. shea butter is not suitable for everything. everything has its place

Alison Young is a sales person first, that's why she only recommends QVC products to viewers (even though there maybe much better options available elsewhere). How can she recommend a product such as Eve Lom Cleanser, a mineral oil based cleanser, when she has stated many times her dislike of the ingredient? Because QVC want her to sell it and sell it she must, even if she contradicts her own beauty expert advice.

Mineral oil is actually not a bad ingredient - it's natural, causes no allergies and acts as a barrier on the skin - but that's it, it does nothing else, it's boring! Ok for hand/body creams or lip balms but there are better ingredients to put on your face. For me it gives me spots, despite the argument by some that it can't cause spots.

PS. I think is should be compulsory for all on-line retailers to display ingredients lists.

Last edited:
Mineral oil is much less bad than it's made to be, the whole thing of it being some evil toxic chemical is codswallop. It can clog pores though, and I personally hate the feel of it on my skin, it feels sort of slimy and doesn't sink in, just sits there feeling icky and sort of...tingly? It's a good emollient and is soothing on damaged skin so it has its place.

Mineral oil is oft prescribed for constipation. Maybe a few "experts" should take a dose!? Alison Young's credibility disappeared with that of her shoulder pads!

Not everything will suit everyone, but mineral oil is the main ingredient in many dermatological medically prescribed emollient creams, lotions and ointments.

I also get quite irritated by the horror that seems to be expressed re this ingredient.

My elderly aunt has AMAZING skin and all she has ever used is baby lotion and Nivea.

Think its important to balance what suits us with what we can afford. An allergy or reaction to a certain ingredient is one thing, but making out that something like mineral oil is the work of the devil is just another way to con people into thinking they MUST use something more costly.

The only product that stops my chin from peeling, I suspect due to the psoriasis I suffer from, is made by Vaseline it is intended as body lotion, I use it to soothe my back as it is a spray, but it also contains oats and it is really soothing. I hope they don't stop making it, I used to use a spray from Eucerin on my back, then they stopped making that and I couldn't find anything that helped the really dry itchy skin on my back, until I tried this new Vaseline spray, I think there are several different ones in the range, but because I have always found oat based products suited my skin condition really well, but only Aveeno seems to be commercially available but doesn't make facial care products. If anyone knows of anything containing oats that is designed for use on the face, please pass on the hint!

The only product that stops my chin from peeling, I suspect due to the psoriasis I suffer from, is made by Vaseline it is intended as body lotion, I use it to soothe my back as it is a spray, but it also contains oats and it is really soothing. I hope they don't stop making it, I used to use a spray from Eucerin on my back, then they stopped making that and I couldn't find anything that helped the really dry itchy skin on my back, until I tried this new Vaseline spray, I think there are several different ones in the range, but because I have always found oat based products suited my skin condition really well, but only Aveeno seems to be commercially available but doesn't make facial care products. If anyone knows of anything containing oats that is designed for use on the face, please pass on the hint!

Blend this with an aloe vera and apply after showering:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006WY5WBA/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Aveeno do make facial products. I don't know if they have any oat based ones or not, though. Would have thought so, I think that's a major selling point of the range?

Aveeno do make facial products. I don't know if they have any oat based ones or not, though. Would have thought so, I think that's a major selling point of the range?

They do? I've never seen them in Boots? I think they must be new, I love it for the body, when my back plays up! Where have you seen them? Thank you so much, I will check out their website ASAP, just hope none of them contain Sodium Benzoate, I can't have that on my face! I am sooo excited, maybe my facial skin will improve!!!! So far, no Sodium Benzoate!!!!! YAY! I will be going into Boots today to see if I can find it in our local branch. Thank you so much for letting me know!

I've seen Aveeno facial stuff in our large boots. Type Aveeno in the search box on the Boots website and it shows the whole range.

They do? I've never seen them in Boots? I think they must be new, I love it for the body, when my back plays up! Where have you seen them? Thank you so much, I will check out their website ASAP, just hope none of them contain Sodium Benzoate, I can't have that on my face! I am sooo excited, maybe my facial skin will improve!!!! So far, no Sodium Benzoate!!!!! YAY! I will be going into Boots today to see if I can find it in our local branch. Thank you so much for letting me know!

No probs :) They definitely do them in larger Boots branches, I'm not sure if I've seen them in any other physical shops but there must be other stockists online.

Alison Young talks so much rubbish. Another thing she does is tell us we can't buy certain products anywhere else but qvc, which is often untrue. That Josie Maran guest they send over really gets on my nerves. Why can't Josie herself come over? in stead of sending that annoying woman? I do like the argan oil though. As far as I know you can also have Boots Delivery to your home too after spending so much. I have done that before, although it was a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Back