My make up stockpile

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

for years i spent long hours at airport shops trying and buying all these high-end beauty and makeup products, before i started buying off qvc. the same, in beauty shops across europe. i have wasted another fortune on products that didn't impress me at all and most ended up in the bin.
the cosmetic brands featured on qvc are not worse than any other brand out there. all boils down to what suits you and what ingredients your skin can tolerate.

Very true my lovely I didn't mean they were worse. Just that I spend all my money on QVC brands and then don't have any left to spend elsewhere - I just want to try everything I guess! :D

I s'pose I should also give QVC credit for all the brands they have introuduced me to that I never would have got to try otherwise probably.

Although I do get mobbed by the sales girls in Spacenk when I go in cos they know I like to try all the new stuff and they have a lot of brands in common with QVC. No LG or SB though.

Couldn't agree more about Avon and Virgin Vie. I've bought at least a dozen products from each and I've never found one I really liked yet.

Don't like the brush on Benefit Bad Gal. I did check it out.

Stopped wearing UD when they changed the packaging a few years back. Their mascara dried out pretty quickly. That put me off. I usually have three or so going at the same time. Depends what I feel like which one I use.

Foundation wise I need yellow based ones.
The Sisley I use is £55 to buy but I go to ebay France for my colour and get it for £14 or £20 at most. Never seen the shade on ebay US or UK.

The thing is I really like to see the stuff in the flesh before I decide if I want to try it.

Some of the Japanese drugstore brands are excellent. Kanebo Kate for one. Now these I did swap for on MUA

Now if I really wanted to be high end then I would be buying Serge Lutens. One of his lipsticks is £55 or Cle de Peau a concealer stick they are small are £60.

Oh I also have some Laura Mercier palettes, Becca powder and blushes.

Kate is fab isn't it? I use the brow marker and it's brilliant, i've been using one for months and still no sign of it running out! Hoping to pick up another few in Oz next week although I get a good deal on e*ay for them. I have a few of the eyeshadow palettes too, a *little* too shimmery for my liking but the colours are fab the well pigmented.

Have you tried any Trish McEvoy? Her little black card palettes are generally very nice, I have one I go back to time and again and they're really quite good value for all the product you get in them.

mmm, for high end I'd go for Chantcaille but my purse weeps when i go to buy some so I've never actually given in. Their palettes though....help me!

Tx

Its nail varnish with me. I can't seem to resist it. Have just counted how many bottles I have and I have 54!!! I hardly wear the stuff but I just see all the lovely colours and something comes over me and I just HAVE to have it:sad:

I have 5 of that Nails Inc dark burgundy red that AY wears at lot. Victoria I thinkit is. Why do I need 5?? Why??

No more nail varnish for me I shall be F.A.R.T ing like a trooper from now on :angel:

Very true my lovely I didn't mean they were worse. Just that I spend all my money on QVC brands and then don't have any left to spend elsewhere - I just want to try everything I guess! :D

I s'pose I should also give QVC credit for all the brands they have introuduced me to that I never would have got to try otherwise probably.

Although I do get mobbed by the sales girls in Spacenk when I go in cos they know I like to try all the new stuff and they have a lot of brands in common with QVC. No LG or SB though.

Couldn't agree more about Avon and Virgin Vie. I've bought at least a dozen products from each and I've never found one I really liked yet.

of course. didn't think you implied this.:flower:

Kate is fab isn't it? I use the brow marker and it's brilliant, i've been using one for months and still no sign of it running out! Hoping to pick up another few in Oz next week although I get a good deal on e*ay for them. I have a few of the eyeshadow palettes too, a *little* too shimmery for my liking but the colours are fab the well pigmented.

Have you tried any Trish McEvoy? Her little black card palettes are generally very nice, I have one I go back to time and again and they're really quite good value for all the product you get in them.

mmm, for high end I'd go for Chantcaille but my purse weeps when i go to buy some so I've never actually given in. Their palettes though....help me!

Tx

Never tried Trish, I have seen the little black books on ebay. They seem to have disappeared recently. Usually they seem to have powder or concealer which I know is far too dark for me. I won't buy if there are products which I can't even use.

I bought Kyto Chantecaille palette in SpaceNK New Year sale for £14. Strawberrynet if you went to the USA version always where far cheaper for Chantecaille. Blushes where £14 compared to £22 UK price. But they have shot up and I don't rate Strawberrynet now. They actually more expensive that buying in a store here.

Never tried Trish, I have seen the little black books on ebay. They seem to have disappeared recently. Usually they seem to have powder or concealer which I know is far too dark for me. I won't buy if there are products which I can't even use.

I bought Kyto Chantecaille palette in SpaceNK New Year sale for £14. Strawberrynet if you went to the USA version always where far cheaper for Chantecaille. Blushes where £14 compared to £22 UK price. But they have shot up and I don't rate Strawberrynet now. They actually more expensive that buying in a store here.

I haven't bought from Strawberrynet for about a year. It got too expensive when value of the Pound dropped. I'll go back when the Dollar/Pound exchange rate is more favourable.

Well I have been shamed into sorting out the stockpile ... sorry Donna255 my collection of make-up!

Yesterday I sat down with three wicker baskets full of make-up, the white BE make-up bag, a BE Barecrystals box and another make-up bag to do battle with the hoard!
First I decided to bin the oldies and the unflattering even if they were expensive! Gasp! Don't even think about that! :sweat:
Then I worked my way through the BE as I have to accept that I cannot wear the face colours, radiances etc. my skin reaction was so strong I cannot risk it again. I have kept the eye colours just in case I can wear them in future.
So then I tried some of the iffy ones and threw loads away. I now know what blusher colours really suit me and the ones that make me look like Aunt Sally!

So now I have a newly trimmed collection organised into day, night, summer and winter. It is positively therapeutic and saved me loads of time this morning! :angel:

Its nail varnish with me. I can't seem to resist it. Have just counted how many bottles I have and I have 54!!! I hardly wear the stuff but I just see all the lovely colours and something comes over me and I just HAVE to have it:sad:

I have 5 of that Nails Inc dark burgundy red that AY wears at lot. Victoria I thinkit is. Why do I need 5?? Why??

No more nail varnish for me I shall be F.A.R.T ing like a trooper from now on :angel:

I too have an unhealthy obsession with nail lacquer although I don't own more than one bottle of a certain colour!! I get very excited when new ranges come out and at the moment am dying to get hold of a bottle of OPI's Here Today, Tomorrow Aragon. The problem with QVC is that they sell the lacquers in kits so I have to make a hard choice as to whether I really want to buy a kit for one colour or not.

Apart from the nail lacquer fixation I tend to only buy make up when I feel I need it or see something I really like. Skincare is the worst item that I stockpile. x

Tx

I went to a beauty convention in Vegas in 2003 and had a make-over with a top LM MA. I looked so awful that when I passed a Trish counter and saw the gorgeously made up MA there, I asked her to sort me. When I got back to the room DH was so impressed that he sneaked off to see the MA, bought loads of stuff and arranged for her to do my m/u again for our wedding. She was wonderful - she arranged a freebie massage with Jo Malone and my hair done for free at their in-store salon.

I have to say, though, that although the m/u is lovely, I did get some flash bounce from the powder. I should have used my ERA (another convention freebie) for the pics. Now that stuff really is the DBs for special occasions!

Oh my I must be addicted ,
all this talk of ...throwing ... away ... make-up ... has made me all upset .:sweat:

I don't have that much ( for me) at the moment as I have started getting it all out every now and then to organise/tidy it a bit as I have a small flat . it makes me realise that I have so many similar things, some that don't suit or are just too bright or glittery for everyday.

The problem is that in sorting things out to get rid of is I try them and decide I can't bear to part with it and more frustratingly that I have started to consider make-up as a collection ( so foolish )
The upside though is i have found some old treasures and start putting them in rotation again and it will hopefully stop me buying something similar to one in the stash.

I did drag some things out of my death grip and did manage to sell a few bits on the bay .
People will buy all sorts of used and out of date make-up .

warning ... rambling rant below . Feel free to ignore

Make up doesn't really go off anyway, some things can get contaminated or dry out or oxidise but they are so full of preservatives this degradation it is usually at quite low levels. If you disinfect your tools and always use clean hands it should last many years .Skincare is more likely to turn but make-up is often made with a much lower water content and has less risk . Fats can go rancid if not stored well .Anti-oxidants and vitamins can lose their potency . Fragrances can fade or or go musty but there is also a trade in vintage perfumes as some age well if looked after properly . Separated isn't off usually , just needs a good shake to let the emulsifiers work again. Almost all pigments used are and always have been "mineral " based before we were ever told that minerals are great and never go off.
Think about it , you don't think a salad dressing is off because it has separated, you just give it a shake , I happily eat and drink years old wine and years old cheese . Do you think a bottle of dettol would be "off" after 10 years ?? Ok I am rambling but this is a pet peeve of mine about dates on make-up, never believe the self-same people who want you to keep buying more and more , better to try and find someone more impartial.

Ramble coming to a close

I only chuck if is in a really really bad state, which doesn't seem to happen much to mine as I sometimes take it all out and clean it all up whilst admiring my stash..... (ex-stash) !!
One girl who bought a load of my used stuff said she bought it really to experiment with colours that would suit her and how the textures felt and lasted so didn't make excitable mistakes in the dpt store . If only I was so wise.

I realised by the age of some of the things that I cannot remember the last time I finished a lipstick , lipliner or eyeshadow !! Eyeliner pots seem to last for years and I don't think I have ever finished a blusher !!

Partially coz I have so many , but mostly because I don't use that much make-up . I wear it everyday but I put on a bit of what's needed before I leave the house and don't touch it up apart from concealer and maybe some lip balm .

I am now trying to limit myself to only buying the things that often I use up, concealer ,foundation ,mascara , powder etc. The plan was to only buy when am running low but I like to have a choice, who knows what kind of make-up mood I'll be in and there always must be a foundation that actually comes close to my skin ....and there is always new mascara technology .... excuses? ... yes ! .
Also I need to wear something for a few days before I know if it's any good, a quick swipe on my hand in a shop is useless, so I buy a couple more versions . I am good at returning make-up to the shop if it is genuinely terrible , I don't let those orange faced ladies get in my way but if it is just o.k i always think I will find a way of making it work .

I hardly wear nail colour , keep my toes done in the summer and stick to a deep pink , a pastel pink or a dark vamp on fingers only about 10 times a year maximum but yet somehow had a pile of colours just bought coz were pretty and worn once or twice and another pile that were all similar to the three types I like but were just a tiny bit off in someway . How did it happen ?? I hardly buy nail varnish !!I don't like painting my nails ?? Just buying away foolishly..

The good news is I have sold over 20 nail varnishes on the bay, mostly used and made a bit of money .. some discontinued OPI go for a fortune !! yippee

My motto is not to stop buying , but just to think a little first , the side-effect is I have almost stopped buying.

Last edited:
Well I have been shamed into sorting out the stockpile ... sorry Donna255 my collection of make-up!

So now I have a newly trimmed collection organised into day, night, summer and winter. It is positively therapeutic and saved me loads of time this morning! :angel:

I love that bit.. :sun: sounds very therapeutic.

I have at least one of nearly everything she had for sale including 3 B&B in fair (two unused which I will have to sell on as I dont even wear it:52:)

I have lots of Smashbox, MP, YBF, Bobbi Brown, Prescriptives and Philiosophy. I obviously have an addiction so will still get the odd thing but my QVC make up days are over.

I have also a real stack of brushes. Out of all my make up stash, I only ever wear eyeshadow (love smokey eyes) mascara, blusher and lippy. I apply this with the same two brushes.

I even have the wonderful Ultimate Palette from Smashbox but never use it.

What was I thinking! I am so glad to be an old FART :nod:!

Ignore everything I just said about a clear out. I think I NEED a B and B in fair now as I am off the fake tan and my foundations are too dark.

Is there no saving me?

Oh my I must be addicted ,
all this talk of ...throwing ... away ... make-up ... has made me all upset .:sweat:warning ... rambling rant below . Feel free to ignore

Make up doesn't really go off anyway, some things can get contaminated or dry out or oxidise but they are so full of preservatives this degradation it is usually at quite low levels. If you disinfect your tools and always use clean hands it should last many years .Skincare is more likely to turn but make-up is often made with a much lower water content and has less risk . Fats can go rancid if not stored well .Anti-oxidants and vitamins can lose their potency . Fragrances can fade or or go musty but there is also a trade in vintage perfumes as some age well if looked after properly . Separated isn't off usually , just needs a good shake to let the emulsifiers work again. Almost all pigments used are and always have been "mineral " based before we were ever told that minerals are great and never go off.
Think about it , you don't think a salad dressing is off because it has separated, you just give it a shake , I happily eat and drink years old wine and years old cheese . Do you think a bottle of dettol would be "off" after 10 years ?? Ok I am rambling but this is a pet peeve of mine about dates on make-up, never believe the self-same people who want you to keep buying more and more , better to try and find someone more impartial.

Ramble coming to a close

Have to agree with you there, as long as you clean your brushes and keep your items looked after and even occaisionally spray them with 90% surgical spirit they are fine. I also have to say mine isn't a stockpile but a collection and I love every bit of it :heart:

This is a fab post! This weekend I am going to sort out my makeup as I know I'v been hoarding quite a lot of stuff and it's about time I used it. After all, what's the point of buying it if you're not going to use it? And I know I just keep buying!!! Might be a good time to change my regular day-time look for work - worth a try! :thinking2: Also, a good idea to play with different items and see what looks I can achieve - e.g. still haven't used any of my LG eye rims, nor have I opened loads of little pots of BE eye shadows - and why not? :doh: Beggars belief!

So thanks for inspiring me to do this!:rock:

Have also been inspired by this post. Had a massive sort-out a few months ago, and an expensive Decleor Vitaroma body cream had to be discarded -although I had followed the advice of the Decleor rep and of 'Shouty and had stored it in the dark and away from the heat.

Need, however, help and advice. First, what is the 'Drop'? Second, how does one go about selling on *b*y? Am very new to this business.:thinking2:

Thanks

The Drop is one of the extra boards you gain access to when you become a VIP Member, and selling on "The Bay" (loving that!) is ever so easy if you have a digital camera or can take pics on your phone.

The site basically takes you through how to do step by step.

PS I'm OK with keeping things that I have always applied with a brush - or even clean fingers, But anything that was directly applied to my mouth must be teeming with bacteria after a few years, surely?

Last edited:
If you're a member on makeupalley you can also swap gently used products with other addicts. i do this regularly and have received some wonderful additions to my stash while getitng rid of something unloved at the same time!

The Bay is difficult at the moment, it's a buyers market and some really nice stuff I sold recently (BLiss, Elemis) etc really didn't go for as much as I'd hope. I'm glad to be rid of it but still, don't want to let it go for nothing!!

Tx

In all the interest of make up stockpile you mad eme go through mine. Not as extensive as some on here I am really pleased to say, but heavens I need to get to the ripe all age of 225 before I use some of my eye shadows up!!!

Have listed a couple of smashbox items which from the last TSV in the drop so I can buy the next TSV without guilt (I can see an attack from the FARTS coming up already as this - I am sure - is not in the interest of farting.)
BUT: there might be different colours I do not have!!!!!!!!! and I would love a travel Halo!
And.......
And......
And......
I sound like mi grown children when they were teenagers and wanted something!

In all the interest of make up stockpile you mad eme go through mine. Not as extensive as some on here I am really pleased to say, but heavens I need to get to the ripe all age of 225 before I use some of my eye shadows up!!!

Have listed a couple of smashbox items which from the last TSV in the drop so I can buy the next TSV without guilt (I can see an attack from the FARTS coming up already as this - I am sure - is not in the interest of farting.)
BUT: there might be different colours I do not have!!!!!!!!! and I would love a travel Halo!
And.......
And......
And......
I sound like mi grown children when they were teenagers and wanted something!

Ooh "Attack of the F.A.R.T.S." I feel a screenplay coming on! :D

Much as a good F.A.R.T. attack can be just what the doctor ordered - if you are buying something will use and love then that's fine. F.A.R.T.S. are all about preventing the bad bang head on wall :headbang: purchases that just go into the black hole of your stash or to the charity shop in the next clear out.

Purchases you have planned ahead - or at least thought about a little bit instead of obeying the call to "Jump to the phones!" and which you need or will use and love :heart: - and which will enhance your life a little bit are F.A.R.T. approved. :grin:

Ooh "Attack of the F.A.R.T.S." I feel a screenplay coming on! :D

Much as a good F.A.R.T. attack can be just what the doctor ordered - if you are buying something will use and love then that's fine. F.A.R.T.S. are all about preventing the bad bang head on wall :headbang: purchases that just go into the black hole of your stash or to the charity shop in the next clear out.

Purchases you have planned ahead - or at least thought about a little bit instead of obeying the call to "Jump to the phones!" and which you need or will use and love :heart: - and which will enhance your life a little bit are F.A.R.T. approved. :grin:

Bless you LAK, I like you very much!!!!:flower:

Latest posts

Back