My No Buy Plan

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm waiting for the right moment when I'm ready to put my things on eBay but keep procrastinating.
Now is the best time to do it, Marina, as it is the run up to Christmas and gifting. aargh, I am so brainwashed by QVC! Just take a deep breath and list a couple of items a day. You will feel so good getting rid of it, and you can allocate the money to a holiday or a charity you support to keep you motivated.

I remember reading some time ago that people were hoarding so much in their attics that it actually caused houses to fall down. This was such a scary thought. My main obsession has been Laura Geller, and I used to buy multiples of her TSVs as back ups. Then I realised how long each palette was lasting and decided to stop being so silly. I have recently put some of it on Ebay and it really feels good to get rid of it - just have to stop myself from browsing and buying more stuff!

About a year ago, I went through my stash and once it was organised, I realised that I really didn't need anything more for at least a year. The problem is the temptation to try something new.

I think having easy access to your things and really making an effort to use them up is so important. I recently reorganised my bedroom so that I have a desk / dressing table with drawers that house all my make up and skincare. It is so much nicer to get ready every day and I am actually using my make-up, as opposed to the same three products I used to grab before. A new bedside cabinet, also with drawers, means I can put my oils and balms on a nice little vintage tray within easy access and it helps me to remember to put the stuff on. The drawers contain my facial massage thingy, foot cream, handcream etc..Previously stuff was in the wardrobe in storage drawers, but out of sight and I must admit, only got used occasionally.

The money saving expert website has a forum for people who are trying not to buy new cosmetics and use up what they already have - it's quite inspiring, as is this thread.

Now is the best time to do it, Marina, as it is the run up to Christmas and gifting. aargh, I am so brainwashed by QVC! Just take a deep breath and list a couple of items a day. You will feel so good getting rid of it, and you can allocate the money to a holiday or a charity you support to keep you motivated.
That’s what I was thinking, and after Christmas people are going to be all spent out.
I’m just thinking where do I get the packaging, on eBay or do I go to a pound shop?
Some sellers use plain self sealable plastic bags, like Next use, I’m not sure where to get them.
The jiffy bags I thought that I saw in my pound shop ages ago.

recycle your packaging and pack well. but you have to kind of charge for it as if you send something inadequately packed you will lose all your money if its broken in the post. so be business minded. your not the only person to get sucked in by hype. we all have our weaknesses. mine is not make up as i am not into buying loads of stuff in one go.i buy as i need and buy the best quality/colours so i will enjoy using it to the last drop. this is not cheap as i may spend £20 plus for a nars eyeshadow but the colour is so good its satisfying and will get used as its what i really love.

That’s what I was thinking, and after Christmas people are going to be all spent out.
I’m just thinking where do I get the packaging, on eBay or do I go to a pound shop?
Some sellers use plain self sealable plastic bags, like Next use, I’m not sure where to get them.
The jiffy bags I thought that I saw in my pound shop ages ago.

I bought padded envelopes from amazon by the box load. Just look at the items you are selling and measure them, and work out what would be the best size. I also re use any packaging and also stash bubble wrap and reuse it but have also bough rolls of it from the pound shop. Just ensure things are wrapped with enough padding not to get broken. I usually send via RM, and only once used Hermes as the parcel was really heavy - but unfortunately everything smashed when they buyer got it, so would not go back to using them.

If you google "selling on ebay" there is some really useful advice. I have only ever had a couple of people contact me to say the item was not received, other than that it has been very positive. I use my Ebay money for treats for the family, such as theatre tickets or nice meals out. And I am currently saving towards a holiday, which motivates me to list the biddy stuff, as otherwise I can be really lazy.

I have lots of things I could sell on ebay but am so blooming lazy I just don't get round to it - I also don't know how it works either so that is putting me off too.

its quite a good way to sell stuff and you get a lot more money than if you sell at a car boot sale. finanacially its always worth it but do your homework

Have you thought about listing items in The Drop? I'm sure there are many Forumites that would be keen to buy!!

You could make a fortune by running classes, writing books, guesting on QVC to sell your branded merchandise,with your system, Weathergirl's Weeding Out Workshop. I see it all now, Chuntley, Jill F, DF, tearfully saying how you changed their lives by de-cluttering their houses of all the accumulated QVC tat they used to buy.

Sign me up!

Lol I doubt I would be welcome as my way of doing things results in less spending! Not what QVC really wants...

Don't get me wrong, I do spend. I just don't keep it if I know I won't use it all. I have got better at being careful about what I do buy, cancelling "drunken" orders, using the MBG quite ruthlessly. If I won't use it-send it back. It has resulted in my ordering much less because I have gradually weaned myself off it.
I do an eBay clear out about twice a year. QVC item always sell well. My top tips- set the auction start price at the absolute minimum you hope to get for it but remember people like a bargain. You can research "sold" prices for similar items and try to make yours tempting to buyers because it is cheaper than other similar items. Putting 2 items together from the same brand always works well too. Charge accurate postage-2nd class signed for is best- if it is only standard second class always get proof of postage. Recycle old packaging from your own online shopping just put new sticky labels on top. Never leave feedback for a buyer unless they have left you positive feed back. Keep buyers happy and communicate with them about the transaction, and always post the item quickly.

You will be astonished at how much you will make from a large "de-clutter"- and how satisfyingly addictive it is!

Or maybe that's just me...... :)

just looked at the Decleor TSV thread and got a little bit excited! Went to my stash and I've got 3 of the items sitting there, do I need this NO I DO NOT. Looks like £70 into the holiday fund, I definitely will not be tempted. Also just put my first sell on EBay so hope it goes.

Latest posts

Back