My reason for being upset at phone only £1 celebrations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Didn't expect you to hear back today

I didn't hear back from Gems today, but will let you know if they contact me tomorrow.

Hi Jacqualina...thank you soo much for making the call on my behalf anyway.
I didn't expect them in their Ivory Gemstv tower to reply to you today.:1:

If you have followed the post's Jacqualina you'll notice this option 3 business lets you either say your details, or just press the numbers on your keypad so you dont have to speak!! :54:

Why!? have they then named it voice recognition service it's very misleading.
Argey and glinda discovered this today...why couldn't someone from gemstv tell us of this.:58:

:1:Thanks a million for trying anyway Jacqualina! It was very kind of you!! xxx

I'd be very surprised if you did hear any more from them tomorrow on the matter.:54:

Luv
Mirabelle :40:

Hi Jacqualina,

Didn't get a response to my e-mail either, and am not holding my breath. I have been ignored several times in the past - once too often, and the one response I did get to an e-mail was when I was having trouble making bids. Somebody phoned me within a few minutes (I can't see a wry Smiley).

Luv Argey

I have been wondering these last few hours........is this week of no web bidding a test for the future?

Is GemsTV web bidding going to be a thing of the past?

Maybe it will just be the (horrendously priced) online shop and clearance web games that will only be available on the web.

Remember when they had a weekend of timed games on GTV2......it was not long before the format was rolled out across the board.:33:

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

I have so far, in total, "won" 7 £1 items but 3 have been withdrawn. Each withdrawal has been the best piece at the time. What a shower - still at least they treat their phone bidders with as much disdain as webbers so don't take it personally guys (another wry Smiley).

If they're rationing per household, I don't think that would be unreasonable just as long as they had told us. Giving and taking away like this is appalling behaviour, but wot you nevva 'ad you won't miss as they say.

I ain't giving up, but Mira, I think you might need to have your microscope at the ready.

Luv Argy

I've given up already Argey

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

I have so far, in total, "won" 7 £1 items but 3 have been withdrawn. Each withdrawal has been the best piece at the time. What a shower - still at least they treat their phone bidders with as much disdain as webbers so don't take it personally guys (another wry Smiley).

If they're rationing per household, I don't think that would be unreasonable just as long as they had told us. Giving and taking away like this is appalling behaviour, but wot you nevva 'ad you won't miss as they say.

I ain't giving up, but Mira, I think you might need to have your microscope at the ready.

Luv Argy

Hi Argey...7 items @ £1...and they took 3 away from you and the best pieces at that eh!...all this smells even fishier to me!! :eek:
I admire your stamina for getting them, and not giving up Argey good on yer!!

"Well i've tried so far for 4 £1 items this morning by pressing the option 3"
yes you've guessed it!...I didn't get a look in, engaged signal every time.
and yes I've given up..and they say they are not making money out of our phone calls eh!?...yeh! and I'm a monkey's uncle!!!! :rolleyes: @ 6p connection charge each time aswell as it being virgin and not BT, how much have they had out of me this morning eh!? and nothing to show for it....

This was just purley for experimental reasons to see what happened, and I wasn't disappointed either Argey as I just knew I wasn't going to get any of them...(Bah humbugs).. :17:

Hope you are good!

Luv, Mirabelle xx :40:

Last edited:
Oh Mira,

Yah booh sucks to Gems. Ne'em mind you'll get at least one microscopic item:22:

I could be wrong but I think its only the telephone company that makes anything from 0845 numbers, but - whatever - I certainly aint here to defend these so and so's.

I feel sorry for the poor soul's that have to keep telling me that they are deleting items from my order. I may well take this matter up with Trading Standards, I'll see how it goes.

Luv
Argey

Hi Sweepy,

You could well be right, but me waters think not. As they have (Bush stylee :42:) set up a war between phone bidders and webbers I suspect last time the phone callers were all whinging that they couldn't get in because of webbers. There is also the point of webbers tossing things out of their baskets, but I guess its now pretty clear that phone callers are equally capable of cancelling their orders, or not going through with a sale.

I suspect its simply bad planning, without foresight. :22:

Luv
Argey:22:

Luv Argey

I wouldn't blame you if you did take it to Trading Standards

Oh Mira,

Yah booh sucks to Gems. Ne'em mind you'll get at least one microscopic item:22:

I could be wrong but I think its only the telephone company that makes anything from 0845 numbers, but - whatever - I certainly aint here to defend these so and so's.

I feel sorry for the poor soul's that have to keep telling me that they are deleting items from my order. I may well take this matter up with Trading Standards, I'll see how it goes.

Luv
Argey

Good morning Argey, :1:
They must have some kind of deal I'm sure with the phone people!!
anyway enough about the phone people...:28:
And I would'nt blame you in the slightest, if you were to take it further..they need to know they cannot discriminate the less able people like ourselves Argey..It's just not on is it!!?..and I for one am not going to be playing ball with these hypocrites. :58:

I hope you don't mean you were thinking of giving me one of your £1 items Argey...you won then love you keep them! ...It's very nice of you to think of me though.:1:

Luv, Mirabelle :40:

Hi y'all,

Just got a really helpful reply (not) to my e-mail of yesterday:-

"Dear Mrs Hazell,

Thank you for your earlier e-mail regarding the above.

We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with the way we are handling the £1 games, but it was considered overall to be fairer to the majority of customers to restrict these games to telephone bids only and hence first come first served. In general it was considered to be a more level starting point for all.

Kind regards,

John Butler"

I'll give 'im "kind regards", more like tough regards, cripples and old crocks can go elsewhere.

AND as for my orders, for every £1 item they delete, one will come out of my basket. I'm done with 'em at the end of the week in any event.

Naughty Mira, I said I would and I will, though I don't think there'll be much of a choice, assuming there are any left on my orders of course :1:

Sweepy I just got another when I was writing a reply to you on another thread, which is why the end of it went so strange :15:

Luv Argey

Any excuse will do for them Argey

Hi y'all,

Just got a really helpful reply (not) to my e-mail of yesterday:-

"Dear Mrs Hazell,

Thank you for your earlier e-mail regarding the above.

We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with the way we are handling the £1 games, but it was considered overall to be fairer to the majority of customers to restrict these games to telephone bids only and hence first come first served. In general it was considered to be a more level starting point for all.

Kind regards,

John Butler"

I'll give 'im "kind regards", more like tough regards, cripples and old crocks can go elsewhere.

AND as for my orders, for every £1 item they delete, one will come out of my basket. I'm done with 'em at the end of the week in any event.

Naughty Mira, I said I would and I will, though I don't think there'll be much of a choice, assuming there are any left on my orders of course :1:

Sweepy I just got another when I was writing a reply to you on another thread, which is why the end of it went so strange :15:

Luv Argey

Hi again Argey,...I just knew they would'nt have a reasonable excuse for this appauling behaviour towards the less able customer base, which part of majority do we fit into then I wonder!! and I'd like to give them kind regards too...right where it hurts (Their pocket)...:28:
What are you going to do with the email reply then Argey!? now you have something concrete and in black/white.?

Ok Argey I'm considered told off!! I'll accept your gracious gift with many thanks..assuming you havn't ditched them all by the end of the week he he lol!!! :57:

Luv, Mirabelle xxx :40:

Last edited:
I expect the "subject to availability" will be invoked. You've done very well grabbing 4 x £1 items Argey, I expect there are literally thousands of viewers who haven't managed to grab any:thumbup:

:doggie:

Hi Mira,

So glad you're accepting, I'll tell you your choices when this week is done.

I most certainly will be replying to the e-mail and may get advice from Trading Standards about removal of items. I also need to speak to somebody regarding the DDA and the fact that the website must now be considered inaccessible. If I can get them on anything I shall go for the jugular - I tell you what, I'm really missing our Guardian Angel Derek.

Now hold on to your jaws and tummy - massive laugh coming. I have gone into the site to check what else has been deleted only to find that SEVEN diamond rings have appeared on my first order, from nowhere. All chargeable of course. If I didn't use the interweb I wouldn't have known until I had received the order with its MASSIVE bill. "Ve hef veys ov mekking you order" (stands to attention, salutes and goose-steps (metaphorically) out of the room).

So you see its now more than concrete e-mails I got, but rings for me fingas and bells for me toes. Oh and I nearly forgot in the excitement and terror of all dem diamonds, one of my £1 items is showing "needs stock" so I guess its got one leg out of me order.

Who'd've thought I'd be writing a book about a Gems birthday.

I'm off for lunch now - think I'm gettin' hystercal and punch-drunk.

Luv
Argey :56:

Hi Mad4Gems,

Yes I have done well (but only through shear buddy-mindedness, and having the phone permanently attached to me - literally). I think you are misreading my intentions, this is about inaccessibility for the disabled and less able. It may look greedy, but is in fact a battle for those of us who cannot partake even of normal ordering this week. I shall only be keeping one or two pieces, the remainder going to other disabled people, about 30 of which I have, to my regret, recommended to come to Gems. I don't agree that thousands will have lost out, there are £1 drops at approximately 20 minute intervals and quite a lot have as many as 25 pieces in one drop, which is why I have managed to achieve what I have, and of course, perseverence. I have made numerous and far more failed attempts, as well as successful. If I, Metal Mickey, can do this, then the able-bodied certainly can, and, being Metal Mickey is also the only reason I have this sort of time on my hands, so I'll swap me "wins" if somebody will take my disabilities. (Also please see my posting above, which I expect was going through as you were typing yours). I would have been perfectly content, if they had stated something like "one per household per day" or similar, and allowed web bidders. There is also the disappointment of having items withdrawn from a completed sale, especially when (coincidentally I'm sure) its the best pieces. I am very aware that you can't please all the people all the time in this world. By the way, have they actually stated "subject to availability". If so, I'm partially blown out of the water so perhaps you could let me know -ta.

I hope this reply isn't sounding gruff, as it is far from it, I am beginning to find much humour in this spectacular incompetence, and just wanted to try and explain that I'm not being greedy or ungrateful. The people I now really feel sorry for are the poor souls on the phones who no longer know if they are coming or going.

Luv
Argey :53:

:1:eek:oooeerrrr...Argey 7 diamond rings ...shame they were at full price lol....

Doesn't that say something though...the system obviously isn't set right for this fiasco.

Luv, Mirabelle xx:40:

I think they should give you those diamond rings for free Argey!
As for removing items from your basket, that is abysmal. You contract to buy from them, but they don't contract to supply you with the item you have bid for. How's that for logic eh?
As for first come first served basis, not everybody is parked in front of the TV at any given time - like me now, for instance, at work - and there is inevitably a time lag on a website streaming, so if anything phonecallers have the advantage! It's fastest fingers first in either instance and a hope that either the livestreaming doesn't interrupt or that the call centre pick up the phone quickly...
I refuse to be treated like a second class citizen for using the internet, never mind any physical impediments I may have at the time as a lifelong laryngitis sufferer (days without a voice) with RA (dropping phone syndrome) and cordless phone that is very hit & miss at the best of times! grrrrrr let me at 'em I'll bite their ankles....

Hi Sammi,

Yeah - me too - a goodwill gesture eh :)

I'm shocked by the interference with my orders since its not my basket they're dipping into, but a fully finalised and agreed order.

They'll suffer - bitten ankles from you, smacked botties from me.

I'm not going to tell you what has happened again before I answered you. I have e-mailed yet again about this subject and the matter of unordered super-bling.

Will advise if anymore news worthy of mentioning. I'm sure everyone will be glad to hear that I shall not mention deletions to my orders again, as you'll know what's happening whether I tell you or not. I shall simply keep it to anything different that may occur. Gotta go lay down for a week now. :24:

Luv
Argey

and from me a........

Hi Sammi,

Yeah - me too - a goodwill gesture eh :)

I'm shocked by the interference with my orders since its not my basket they're dipping into, but a fully finalised and agreed order.

They'll suffer - bitten ankles from you, smacked botties from me.

I'm not going to tell you what has happened again before I answered you. I have e-mailed yet again about this subject and the matter of unordered super-bling.

Will advise if anymore news worthy of mentioning. I'm sure everyone will be glad to hear that I shall not mention deletions to my orders again, as you'll know what's happening whether I tell you or not. I shall simply keep it to anything different that may occur. Gotta go lay down for a week now. :24:

Luv
Argey

:1:Totaly Agree Sammi and Argey...With a whipping from me!!!! :54:if I could catch them that is he he,with my osteoarthritis of the spine, and the rest, with no voice and and deaf in one ear, lol!!
it would be a right good old whipping I'd dish out. (Best served cold),
I'm a little :38: arn't I :18:...better than a :22: "Fairer to all" lol!!

Luv to you all,
Mirabelle xxxx:40:

Last edited:
Hi Argey

I haven't heard anyone say "Subject to availability", it just seems to be the coverall that companies use when they end up oversubscribed for any offer!!! Use it as a let out clause, remember the vacuum cleaner/free airline tickets debacle a few years ago:11:

Of course I haven't taken your post as being gruff, just as I'm sure you haven't taken mine as a criticism either, we are both adult enough to see each others point of view, and respect it:thumbup:
:doggie:

Last edited:
Hi Mad4Gems,

I only mention "gruff", as when I read it over it came across a tad hard, but I couldn't find a softer way of phrasing it. Lack of expression can really make such a big difference to what one is saying, don't you think?

On the "subject to availability" thingy, I'll have to check out their T & C's - boring - as I'm fairly sure they can't just claim that out of the blue. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a boring old *art about right and wrong. Guess I've become super-sensitive (as in aware, not twitchy). Being on the "frontline" so to speak, and spending such a lot of time with the disabled and their carers, makes you far more aware (I've done some stuff myself in the past, just by not thinking).

This is now no longer simply a "disabled issue" however, and has spread into the realms of what is right for all of us. Businesses need to know that if they want our money, then they cannot simply trample all over us.

Jaw, jaw, jaw, rhubarb, rhubarb, etc. :33:

Argey

Latest posts

Back