My reason for being upset at phone only £1 celebrations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I really really don't think there is any discrimination going on.
Unfortunately, there is always going to be someone who can't use a service. Whether that's because they can't use a phone, don't have the internet, can't leave the house to get somewhere, whatever.
If it was done intentionally to discriminate then of course you should complain loudly, but this wasn't in this case.

I got annoyed the other day because my phone wouldn't call a number so I could enter a competition to go behind the scenes at the Doctor Who sets.

Things like this can quickly build into something huge, ans as you've said you can get around things. If someone can't phone, could someone not phone for you? I'm sure a friend or someone off the forum could try it on their phone and you could pay them back?

I really really don't think there is any discrimination going on.
Unfortunately, there is always going to be someone who can't use a service. Whether that's because they can't use a phone, don't have the internet, can't leave the house to get somewhere, whatever.
If it was done intentionally to discriminate then of course you should complain loudly, but this wasn't in this case.

I got annoyed the other day because my phone wouldn't call a number so I could enter a competition to go behind the scenes at the Doctor Who sets.

Things like this can quickly build into something huge, ans as you've said you can get around things. If someone can't phone, could someone not phone for you? I'm sure a friend or someone off the forum could try it on their phone and you could pay them back?

Hi Harley Quinn,..:1: nice to meet you so to speak!
Thank you so much for your input it's much appreciated...
what you said was a nice thought, but then again where is the independance in getting someone else to do it for you!...the partaking of the competition or bidding or what ever it maybe will have been taken away from the individual...
if you see my point.

Many thanks again for your suggestion.

Best wishes,
Mirabelle :40:

Last edited:
you notice i have not commented much on this lol But surely they are breaking the law offering for sale items they dont have enough stock of????? that was the excuse of my lost £1 tanzanite ring last time they held this fiasco. in my opinion they need to shape up or ship out.

what a fiasco

forgot to ask has anyone from gems come here to make a comment????

:1:Hi mummy bear...Sorry to hear of your fiasco from getting a tanzanite ring the last time they did this, then having it taken away again! that's terrible:11:
They need something doing and quick smart in my estimation.:33:

In answer to your question mummy bear on, has anyone from Gems come here to comment!.
It's a definite no they havn't even batted an eyelid, says a lot don't you think, and its a 9 page thread already.

Nice to meet you mummy bear.:1:

Last edited:
Hi Harley Quinn,..:1: nice to meet you so to speak!
Thank you so much for your input it's much appreciated...
what you said was a nice thought, but then again where is the independance in getting someone else to do it for you!...the partaking of the competition or bidding or what ever it maybe will have been taken away from the individual...
if you see my point.

Many thanks again for your suggestion.

Best wishes,

I was worried you might take my post the wrong way. Great you haven't :D
I understand in the independence thing. I know I'd feel the same way.
What I try to do when I don't win a bid on something (normally ebay) is tell myself it wasn't worth it, I didn't need it, I just got caught up in the hype of it being cheap and then, if I still want it, try again at a later date.

Hi Harley and pleased to meet you,

This is going to sound offish, but I promise is not intended to offend, but you clearly have no experience of severe disability nor, indeed, current legislation in the Disability Discrimination Act. This is not about deliberate discrimination against us as a group, simply the unwillingness to help us spend our money on their site/channel. Other channel(s) have managed to include us in everything, but Gems just doesn't have any interest in so doing, and it is this which is giving us the grots :)

I am not alone on this site, but can only explain how it feels for me. I am covered literally from head to toe in halo, sundry braces and splits. This is because it could be dangerous to bend my kneck, and I suffer polyarticular rheumatoid arthritis. I cannot get in and out of any sort of car. My occasional (briefly maybe once or twice a month) ventures into the great outdoors, can only be managed in my special buggy or by ambulance.

I live alone, but have plenty of interests, friends, daughter, special neighbour, and wonderful carer. All these people are extremely busy running their own families, working and caring for others, etc. each doing more than enough for me just in my routine daily care. How on earth am I to ask any of these people to sit down and watch telly just so that they can make daft bids for me.

Its clearly a different world to yours and I'm glad for that, truly, but if we are not to be allowed to deal with at least our own little pleasures and trivia, well you know the rest of that sentence I'm sure.

I'm so sorry if I'm being a bore, but as a member of a "stroppy cripples" group (I'm allowed to say that) :) I am especially aware of all kinds of different problems experienced by type and degree of disabilities. To compare this with failing to get through to a competition because of a problem with your phone, is really insensitive, though I don't doubt your intentions are well meant.

Please forgive me for burbling on, my intention is only to explain - not bore or offend you. If we don't speak up how can we expect others to have any idea, how we feel or live behind closed doors.

Thank you for letting me bend you ear, and I look forward to chatting to you on happier events.

Best wishes.
Argey :57:

Hmmm.
My comment about the phone competition wasn't 'really insensitive'. It was pointing out that we can't have everything.
In my line of work I meet people with eye sight problems, from simple problems assisted with glasses, up to almost completely blind people. So I do have some experience. Also my Father works for the NHS, my Mother is a Barrister so I do have some ideas how hard life can be for people.

I understand you want to participate in the offer and that there is something barring your way. If the channel is acting unlawfully then they'd be in HUGE trouble. They need to be notified asap, and if they have been notified and are acting illegally then they will change their ways.
If they haven't done anything illegal then sadly, that's it. They can ask you to enter anyway they like.

And believe me, I always speak up for people if they are being treated unfairly. I can always ask my mother for legal advice for you if you like? (Free of charge?)

forgot to ask has anyone from gems come here to make a comment????

Hiyers Mummy Bear,

Nah cawsnot! I'm sure Derek would have but I think he is away. I am really hoping he's just on leave and nothing more untoward. Every time a presenter goes missing, I start to twitch badly. I see Ruthy is now with Rocks & Co and let's hope she's happy there. I did so enjoy the "Little and Large Show" from herself and Derek.

Ta for your interest, and I was really sorry to hear about your Tanzy. Much more disappointing, whereas my losses are relatively minor and more about frustration.

Ta for your interest and see you on Rocks, hopefully, tomorrow. I was gonna have an early tonight, but its all going wrong and, instead, I'm on a non-stop moanathon.

was :49: but now :60:

Luv
Argey

I imagine gemstv staff prob haven't been on this chat forum, i.e don't know about this thread.

Hi Harley,

Thanks for your response, though I'm still not convinced "ya git ma drift", its really hard to express oneself here.

I would be enormously grateful if you could ask your Ma, about the legality of making an offer such as this, accepting and finalising the sales and then repeatedly simply deleting that item from your order, without comment, compensation or apology. They have done this to me over a 2-day period at least five times though I think I'm losing count as well as the will to live :1: I in fact have been making these efforts on behalf of some of my friends, one on here and others from my group, even less able than I and to whom I have recommended the site/channel. The disability thing is more a question of morality and principle, from a company preaching one thing and practising another so, as they clearly have no need of my money, then, that's fine, they won't get anymore. Easy-peasy. It's more about embarrassment for having introduced many people to this site, and empathy with those who have no voice for various reasons.

So once again, I would be grateful for any opinion your mother may have to offer, though of course let there be no embarrassment between us if she would prefer not or is unable in any way. I understand, being a mum myself, that it can be a problem when your kids rent you out for free :11:

All the best.

Argey

Getting Rid of Argey

Hi guys,

I have no doubt that many of you must be fed up to the eye teeth with me droning on about this subject. I am therefore suggesting that if you would like or not like to continue reading about you know what, then please let me know, (I will not be offended) and I shall then follow the majority's wishes.

You can always put in a private message to me on here then nobody else needs to know your opinion, if you don't wish it.

Ta to all of you for your support, in any event.

Bowing out gracefully (well, in theory anyway - as she crashes to the floor, and a JCB has to be brought in to get her up again) :21:
Luv and xx's
Argey

Sorry - that wasn't a swan song - I'll be chatting about other stuff in the meanwhile.

I think what gets up peoples noses is the statement by Gems that phone only bidding is 'fairer to all'.....this is clearly not the case!

I am not disabled in any way(well argey may question my mentality!!lol) and am fully able to phone up and try to win these games,but it is not until you hear of the various difficulties that others may have with this that you can appreciate their situation.I am angry for them(not meant to be patronising btw)

I web buy for various reasons but mainly because it suits me.......I do not wish to pay for a tel call,that may sound stingy I know,and I find it a less stressful way to purchase.There are many people for whom speaking on a phone is a torment....I Know people like this,it fills them with panic and dread!
So there are many,many reasons as to why it is not 'Fairer to all'.

I am sure that they could come up with various ways of 'thanking' their customers this birthday week......free p&p etc which would be fair for everyone,but this promotion gets people staying on the line for hours on end to win a £1 game(I am sure they make money on non geographic numbers) and also to pull in viewers(that is fair enough,I have no issue with that).

Anyway.....off me soapbox now.......I stand alongside my less able bodied friends in this matter and I hope someone from Gems reads this thread and takes on board all the issues that have arisen.

Hi Sweepy,

We "crossed in the post", and no patronisation taken ahm shaw. Ta.

See you tomorrers on Rocks.

Luv Argey

Finishing what I started

Hi guys,

I have no doubt that many of you must be fed up to the eye teeth with me droning on about this subject. I am therefore suggesting that if you would like or not like to continue reading about you know what, then please let me know, (I will not be offended) and I shall then follow the majority's wishes.

You can always put in a private message to me on here then nobody else needs to know your opinion, if you don't wish it.

Ta to all of you for your support, in any event.

Bowing out gracefully (well, in theory anyway - as she crashes to the floor, and a JCB has to be brought in to get her up again) :21:
Luv and xx's
Argey

Sorry - that wasn't a swan song - I'll be chatting about other stuff in the meanwhile.

I think what gets up peoples noses is the statement by Gems that phone only bidding is 'fairer to all'.....this is clearly not the case!

I am not disabled in any way(well argey may question my mentality!!lol) and am fully able to phone up and try to win these games,but it is not until you hear of the various difficulties that others may have with this that you can appreciate their situation.I am angry for them(not meant to be patronising btw)

I web buy for various reasons but mainly because it suits me.......I do not wish to pay for a tel call,that may sound stingy I know,and I find it a less stressful way to purchase.There are many people for whom speaking on a phone is a torment....I Know people like this,it fills them with panic and dread!
So there are many,many reasons as to why it is not 'Fairer to all'.

I am sure that they could come up with various ways of 'thanking' their customers this birthday week......free p&p etc which would be fair for everyone,but this promotion gets people staying on the line for hours on end to win a £1 game(I am sure they make money on non geographic numbers) and also to pull in viewers(that is fair enough,I have no issue with that).

Anyway.....off me soapbox now.......I stand alongside my less able bodied friends in this matter and I hope someone from Gems reads this thread and takes on board all the issues that have arisen.

Hi Argey and Sweetpea :1:
Thank you all who have made a post and comment within this thread I started, I appreciate all your support!

I now feel how ever it is time to close this thread now, as it's avenues have become exhausted.... no thanks to Gems though they could'nt even post a comment in public.

"Thanks again everyone"

Much Luv to all.

Mirabelle xxxx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back