my visit to the B and W Fulham Road Shop

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

silversequin

Registered Shopper
Well I went to London this week and did some cultural things which included a trip to the V and A. While in the area I thought I would drop in on that other place that is also known by two initials, the Butler and Wison shop in Fulham Road. Now as I seem to recall, telephone callers to the B and W shows rave on about Simon's two shops, the fabulous stuff and the equally fabulous staff.

As I entered the hallowed premises two women were leaving muttering under their breath "wouldn't even let us touch anything, not like it's real jewellery either". So it was not a good omen. I was the only person in the emporium apart from two assistants who ignored me apart from when I moved too close to some of the stuff and actually dared to attempt to put my grubby paws anywhere near it. I felt like a prospective shoplifter rather than a customer. It was an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. I wanted to browse and look at the things. Some of the stuff was truly lovely, very original and there were some gorgeous clothes too. I did buy a brooch and they deigned to speak to me while I made my purchase. Purchase wrapped and paid for I asked then a question about the website and they ignored me!! Carried on talking to each other. I left, feelling as if I was not good enough to shop there. Horrible experience, anyone dare me to call in next time Simon is on QVC?

Last edited:
My daughter has been a fan of B&W for ages. Last year while in London she went to the South Molton store. Simon was in there and she was so starstruck, she couldn't speak:giggle:
She bought a pair of earings and he complimented her on her choice.......she still never spoke. She did say that all the assistants were really on the ball. But we all are when the boss is around.

simon the gentleman

last summer i visited the sale shop in south molton street. it was sooo busy. i bought a really nice large black leather looking bag with the b&w emblem embossed in the leather material. very lovely and understated. gave this to my friend for her birthday.
treated myself to a beautifull black wrap around skirt embroidered and jewelled in black. gorgeous.
i was struggling with the wrap around and simon wilson came and helped me. i was so shocked at how helpfull and friendly he was a real gent.

sad to hear that his staff are not as attentive when he is not there. :wave:

I would have walked out too, you should never let any sales person make you feel inferior.

I've found the staff rather up-themselves. They seem to be worse in the Fulham store. Usually very pretty posh girls just wafting around filling in time before uni or whatever. The bouncers on the doors are intimidating too. You do feel like a shoplifter. You are not made to feel welcome and I sometimes feel so put off I just leave because I don't feel I can look and touch things.

It's a shame because I rather like Simon.

I've found the staff rather up-themselves. They seem to be worse in the Fulham store. Usually very pretty posh girls just wafting around filling in time before uni or whatever. The bouncers on the doors are intimidating too. You do feel like a shoplifter. You are not made to feel welcome and I sometimes feel so put off I just leave because I don't feel I can look and touch things.

They've got bouncers on the doors now? I've visited the Fulham shop a couple of times, both times, I was completely ignored by the snooty staff until I asked them a question about a t-shirt in a larger size, SA more or less sneered at me as if to say we don't do them any larger than that! Both times I felt uncomfortable in there and couldn't wait to get out!

I have visited the South Molton store once, Simon was in there, looked completely different off the telly, really scruffy old sweatshirt and scrappy old jeans, no makeup so was really pale and completely ignored the customers, didn't even look at them, just concentrated on his stock and looked really miserable! Again, I left without buying anything.

Have they got the bouncers since the 2 big mega million jewellery heists? :devil:

I like Simon, he was not there obviously but they were talking about him! I own a lot of his stuff but do not think i will be buying any more. Mrs J I love the idea of Julia being a Saturday girl or maybe as Glen would say "Saturday Lady of an age" ! I thought those women were so lucky to work near the V and A, I would be going there as often as I could, it was so amazing, far too much to take in at one visit.

I like simon too - I'm sure he would he would be upset at your experience (or i'd like to think he would be!)

or just in case someone tries to nick the 12" Aurora Borealis skunk with ruby crystal genitals

Peeing myself at that comment!! Is it wrong that I can actually envisage it? Black/white, big googley eyes and the greatest pair of gonads you've ever seen??!?! :sweat:

What a pity you had such a bad experience. I have been to Fulhan Rd store only once, but have to say the staff couldn't have been more helpful - I even forgot to mention that I am a B & W 'club' member, called to ask if they would retrospecrively give me the discount - and they did, with very good grace. Often go to the South Molton St store, was there yesterday, only seen Simon once though he was very friendly. I find the staf helpful but very busy, so it's difficult for them to have time to chat - although the 'bouncer' is lovely - very polite and friendly - and believe me, DH and I are not remotely 'posh'!

On a recent trip back to The Smoke I visited both stores for the first time. I have to say the two experiences were totally different. At South Molton Street the staff were pleasant and helpful. At Fulham Road it was a different story, the girl there was indifferent to the point of rude. Many shops in that part of the world are indeed staffed by brainless 'it' girls waiting to marry a banker (not so many to go round post-credit crunch...tee hee hee...)

No-one should be made to feel like a potential shoplifter and I'm sorry you had that experience Silversequin. My OH was once falsely accused of shoplifting in a rather posh retail establishment that will remain nameless, as she had a coathanger sticking out of a bag from another store (??? :taphead:) We both suspect that it was more to do with her casual attire, she takes 'dressitdown' to a place Glen Campbell couldn't even imagine. They were a tad embarrassed when they learnt she was a lawyer with 'Dr' in front of her name, a response which made it even more offensive. Needless to say we've never been back.

Remember that bit in Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts (the real one) goes back to the store that she had previously been ejected from? I loved that: "I was in here yesterday and you refused to serve me? [holds up multiple bags from other high end stores] Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now..." :rock:

Thats terrible !!

Well I went to London this week and did some cultural things which included a trip to the V and A. While in the area I thought I would drop in on that other place that is also known by two initials, the Butler and Wison shop in Fulham Road. Now as I seem to recall, telephone callers to the B and W shows rave on about Simon's two shops, the fabulous stuff and the equally fabulous staff.

As I entered the hallowed premises two women were leaving muttering under their breath "wouldn't even let us touch anything, not like it's real jewellery either". So it was not a good omen. I was the only person in the emporium apart from two assistants who ignored me apart from when I moved too close to some of the stuff and actually dared to attempt to put my grubby paws anywhere near it. I felt like a prospective shoplifter rather than a customer. It was an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. I wanted to browse and look at the things. Some of the stuff was truly lovely, very original and there were some gorgeous clothes too. I did buy a brooch and they deigned to speak to me while I made my purchase. Purchase wrapped and paid for I asked then a question about the website and they ignored me!! Carried on talking to each other. I left, feelling as if I was not good enough to shop there. Horrible experience, anyone dare me to call in next time Simon is on QVC?
We went a couple of years ago, thought it looked like a cheap market stall (Emporioum lol) its really over priced tat thats not even precious stones etc.

I like Simon, he was not there obviously but they were talking about him! I own a lot of his stuff but do not think i will be buying any more. Mrs J I love the idea of Julia being a Saturday girl or maybe as Glen would say "Saturday Lady of an age" ! I thought those women were so lucky to work near the V and A, I would be going there as often as I could, it was so amazing, far too much to take in at one visit.

I was at the V&A yesterday, went to the Grace Kelly exhibition, fell in love with the fashion gallery and, cos I am still paying for my trip to Skegness and bought a pair of boots from M&S, I couldn't afford any of the beautiful jewellry in the V&A shop, drool! Didn't go anywhere near the B&W shop tho, but the museum was wonderful, as always!

That's a real shame about the Fulham Road shop. :sad: I've never been to that one but have been to South Molton St on numerous occasions. Sometimes with Simon there, sometimes busy sometimes not. The 'bouncer' is lovely and if it's quiet he has offered to get things out for me to look out (jewellery :wink:). I've always found the ladies friendly and helpful but obviously if the shop is busy there's no time for chat. They always comment if I'm wearing B&W too!

I was dressed rather welll, wore boot cut jeans and a lovely deep aqua chiffon smock style top from Wallis that has gold sequins (ha ha!) and coral coloured beads. on my feet I had little pointy toed brown leather boots so think I did not look too tramp like. Maybe it was my Kipling bag (TKM bargain not QVC) that made them think I was about to stuff the many pockets with B and W goods. I actually felt like writng to Simon about my experience but I think that would be taking it a bit far!!

SQ I would drop Simon a line, so he is aware what happens in his absence. They are always encouraging peeps to visit the store on air so he definately needs to know how you were made to feel.

Latest posts

Back