Never an Ill Wind

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I live and die in my Long Tall Sally dressing gowns!
All bought before the brand sadly went down the pan! :(

I must have about 5/6 of them!
All amazing thick fleece or ‘faux fur’ type fabric in bright colours with big hoods and down almost to the floor... Love them!

This year everywhere I turn - inc on every website! - it seems to be those ‘Oodies’ (oversized hooded fleece affairs?)

Actual Oodies are extortionate but places like Tu and Debenhams much more reasonable. Cozee home did one last year and Jill Franks v comical in it I seem to remember!

My mum amused me by turning up at my house at 11pm last week dressed in her new one! (£18 Debenhams in grey with Sherpa.. She lives around the corner and had bottoms on with it 😉)

It did look very cosy if a little sack like!
But even on her it was generous and she’s a size ?16/18 so we decided it would drown me!

But it would have space for layers and would keep the heat in if anyone really feels the cold?
They sound fabulous. My main problem, unfortunately, would be the stairs as it’s easy to trip on the front hem of long, trailing garments - I would step on it, especially as my stairs are steeper than average. I could gather it up and stop the trailing if I remembered but it’s not easy if you’re carrying something, as I was a boiled kettle once (don’t ask!).

Yes, some of my maxi frocks can be challenging going upstairs. I end up tucking the hem in my knickers (I know, an image you can't undo), but needs must. I don't use an electric blanket, but I find a hot water bottle under a throw or in bed is more than warm enough , and possibly cheaper.

I keep my throws over the back of the sofa. They are big ones so don't tend to slip down onto the floor.
I keep some there all year round, while others only in winter. Others, when not in use, are stored in vacuum packing bags.
I have several dehumidifiers as I have metal frame windows which are notorious condensation magnets. I find them brilliant for keeping rooms warmer, eliminating any foisty damp smell, and superb for laundry.

I just bought a Dehumidifier practically like gold dust atm. My huge, north east facing bedroom is very very cold and prone to condensation the winter unless its heated constantly which is not practical. The dehumidifier has a Hepa filter so is an air conditioner as well. Used it for 24 hours cost pennies over that time. I have a smart meter so logged the amount on the meter when I first turned it on. Oddly enough it made the room a little warmer because it was drawing out the damp air.The difference is astonishing in air quality. Its got a smart mode which means it turns itself on and off as and when needed. Also it has a night mode which means its light are all turned off. Its not silent but its ok noise wise. I can put it in the middle of the house and open all the doors and it will draw the excess moisture in the air out of all the rooms at once. Its a game changer. I can put on my central heating knowing that its heating a drier house. Its also got a laundry mode so will assist in drying washing. I very rarely dry washing indoors but sometimes we have toI
I've had a dehumidifier for as long as I can remember, about 35 years I think, when they were rare and not easy to obtain. I only use it when necessary such as when drying washing or having a long deep bath. But it is true that it produces warm air although I've no idea how much it cost to run.

I've got a heated blanket from Aldi (QVC first introduced me to them) but I haven't had to use it so far this year.

All my light bulbs are LED so that's the cheapest way of lighting, and until recently I didn't bother much about switching them off, for example, the landing light was on all evening. But now I don't have any unecessary lights on.

And I've just had an emeil to tell me that my fixed price contract for gas and elec ends THIS WEEK. So far I haven't had to pay for the increased prices, so it will be a financial shock.

But when the central heating is on, I do have it on in every room in Strato Towers as this prevents condensation and mould that would occur in the cold bedrooms, but probably a bit too extravagant now.

Very interesting to read about dehumidifiers and the benefits. I am going to look into them today and think I will invest as I have condensation in some rooms in cold weather, upstairs mainly, and the room next to the kitchen (which just has a door opening but not a door and all the steam and smells seem to like travelling and hanging out in there!). I also like the idea of “conditioning” the air. Thanks, everyone, as ever.

Very interesting to read about dehumidifiers and the benefits. I am going to look into them today and think I will invest as I have condensation in some rooms in cold weather, upstairs mainly, and the room next to the kitchen (which just has a door opening but not a door and all the steam and smells seem to like travelling and hanging out in there!). I also like the idea of “conditioning” the air. Thanks, everyone, as ever.
And the water that collects in the reservoir is DISTILLED so can be used in steam irons etc. especially if you have to buy it if you live in a hard water area.

Where do you store them ? because I only have one throw which I find bad enough, and end up folding it up as small as poss and having it sit on the back of the sofa.
You get your husband/OH to buy a coffee table the size of the Titanic (with lift up lid) and you chuck em all in there. Sorted.

CC

They sound fabulous. My main problem, unfortunately, would be the stairs as it’s easy to trip on the front hem of long, trailing garments - I would step on it, especially as my stairs are steeper than average. I could gather it up and stop the trailing if I remembered but it’s not easy if you’re carrying something, as I was a boiled kettle once (don’t ask!).
They are fabulous I must say! I don’t think (know!) I could maintain any semblance of regular body temperature without them...
I’m either passing out hot, or shaking cold most of the time!

As to the length, well luckily I’m tall but they are still a trip hazard and my mum worries about that esp as I’m prone to fainting....
So I do tend to hold the hem up sometimes, like something out of a period drama!

But don’t have to worry about stairs as I - sad but true! - have to use a stairlift!

They’re great for the cat too, as built-in throw!
My late bubs used to love to be on me at all times if possible...
New puss is more hard work - and so hyper he rarely sits still long enough sadly!

PS. PLEASE don’t carry boiled kettles upstairs! And if you have to, wear practical clothes and one hand on the banister?!

Where do you store them ? because I only have one throw which I find bad enough, and end up folding it up as small as poss and having it sit on the back of the sofa.
When they’re “in use” (or will be potentially - ie from now on!), I get my throws and blankets out of storage - in jumbo vacuum bags! - I have two over the back of the sofa.
Mind you, they’re both mohair or wool and very pretty so I don’t mind looking at them!

Another couple are rolled into sausage shapes and use an old belt to keep them done up...

If they’re uglier, cheapo fleece throws, have to leave out for cat or “shove” into a basket when not in use!

I’ve got a favourite cozee home one I was bought about 10 years ago as a gift.
It still looks amazing - it’s two layers and more of swirled faux fur than fleece - and happy to have that draped over an armchair in summer etc as it matches!

Yes, some of my maxi frocks can be challenging going upstairs. I end up tucking the hem in my knickers (I know, an image you can't undo), but needs must. I don't use an electric blanket, but I find a hot water bottle under a throw or in bed is more than warm enough , and possibly cheaper.
Carry on keeping safe with your maxi dresses - a friend of mine fell down her stairs this morning and ended up in A&E with a broken big toe and a broken fibula!
And I don't feel the cold too badly, but I've got cozy pyjamas and fluffy socks that keep me warm. I don't have an electric blanket either and I love my hot water bottle. I've also got a throw that I put over the duvet as an extra layer if I need it. The heating is only going on when I absolutely have to!

I've had a dehumidifier for as long as I can remember, about 35 years I think, when they were rare and not easy to obtain. I only use it when necessary such as when drying washing or having a long deep bath. But it is true that it produces warm air although I've no idea how much it cost to run.

I've got a heated blanket from Aldi (QVC first introduced me to them) but I haven't had to use it so far this year.

All my light bulbs are LED so that's the cheapest way of lighting, and until recently I didn't bother much about switching them off, for example, the landing light was on all evening. But now I don't have any unecessary lights on.

And I've just had an emeil to tell me that my fixed price contract for gas and elec ends THIS WEEK. So far I haven't had to pay for the increased prices, so it will be a financial shock.

But when the central heating is on, I do have it on in every room in Strato Towers as this prevents condensation and mould that would occur in the cold bedrooms, but probably a bit too extravagant now.
We bought an Ebac dehumidifier earlier this year. We had one years ago and it's surprising how they warm the area round them. They are very economical to use and we use the water for watering plants

I get a lot of pain in my back and hip and recently bought a heated pad. It's brilliant and helps so much. It has 4 settings and heats up very quickly. I can move it around from back to hip when needed. I'm also going to get a heated throw which I'm sure will help too.

Totally opposite where I am. The temperature hasn't fallen below 16 deg for months ! for weeks its been vivid blue skies and blinding sunlight (literally - due to the time of year). People locally are still walking around with just a cardi on although the temp dips around tea time. I'm still having to use a hose pipe to water the pots as we haven't had any significant rain for months either.

TBH I'm praying for overcast and cloudy weather so I can use my conservatory to do some work in - because its blindingly too bright and hot ! As I write this there isn't a cloud in the sky, and will be taking the dog out, just wearing summer trousers and a light jumper ! (that's me wearing trousers and light jumper............)

We only had one week of continuous good weather, mostly very windy and rain. We didn’t have a hosepipe ban so with the wind our pots dried out very quickly and had to be watered daily.

My heating is "ON" all year round, but with the thermostat set to 17 overnight (so it rarely comes on) and 18 in the day so it comes on if it gets really cold. But when I get up, I manually set it to 19 if the house feels chilly, and rarely set it higher than that. OH sets hers to 21 during the day.

Totally opposite where I am. The temperature hasn't fallen below 16 deg for months ! for weeks its been vivid blue skies and blinding sunlight (literally - due to the time of year). People locally are still walking around with just a cardi on although the temp dips around tea time. I'm still having to use a hose pipe to water the pots as we haven't had any significant rain for months either.

TBH I'm praying for overcast and cloudy weather so I can use my conservatory to do some work in - because its blindingly too bright and hot ! As I write this there isn't a cloud in the sky, and will be taking the dog out, just wearing summer trousers and a light jumper ! (that's me wearing trousers and light jumper............)
We've had a hosepipe ban since the end of August probably lasting into next spring.

My thermostat is turned down to 10C for eight months of the year. When winter comes I have it set to 19C maximum and it comes on from 7-9 am and from 2-10pm, but it invariably turns itself off at about 5pm. Overnight it’s always set at 10C, even in winter.

In previous years, I’ve notched the thermostat up to 19C towards the end of November. However, although I can thankfully afford the new predicted heating costs, I might wait until December as it’s currently fairly mild where I am.

I changed to a fixed tariff two months ago and yesterday got a letter from my provider to say that a variable rate would now be cheaper. 🙄 Having looked at the break down of their costs, I rang them in the afternoon and have gone back on to the variable rate. I guess I’m on a “yo-yo“ contract as my tariff has changed three times in four months.

The one good thing was that she told me that my gas and electricity usage is way below the norm so, in celebration, I might turn up the thermostat earlier than I planned to. 😉

Latest posts

Back