New Liz Earle Cleanser

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Reporting back as promised!
I opened my Emma Hardie balm this morning. The fragrance wasn’t as strong as the Elemis, just smelt fresh. Noticed it had particles in the balm, which I wasn’t expecting. Did feel nice on my skin, but I wouldn’t really want to exfoliate daily…the actual balm was nearer to Aldi than Elemis, but I quite liked it. But I did have a slight tingle on my skin after using. So the jury is still out on this one….
I did like the texture and the fresh fragrance, but not sure I want to exfoliate every day. Will try it again and see if I get anymore skin reaction.
Don’t understand your comments regarding exfoliating?
You are referring to Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm?
Donna I think is also a fan, perhaps she can offer something on any particles?
The only particles I’ve ever experienced are parts of the balm that just need a little more melting in the warmth of my palms.
There’s certainly not been any exfoliating beads or granules in any of the EH cleansing balms I’ve had.😲

The only particles I’ve ever experienced are parts of the balm that just need a little more melting in the warmth of my palms.
There’s certainly not been any exfoliating beads or granules in any of the EH cleansing balms I’ve had.😲
Yes, that’s the balm I’m talking about. I actually went and checked after reading your comment!

The balm contains little exfoliating particles, like a body scrub. Its not just a couple, it’s throughout the pot. It does feel very nice, but as I said in my comment, not something I would want to do daily. How very odd! From what you are saying, this is not what the balm should be? I must admit It Wasn’t what I was expecting…. how weird!

There’s certainly not been any exfoliating beads or granules in any of the EH cleansing balms I’ve had
Yes, that’s the balm I’m talking about. I actually went and checked after reading your comment!

The balm contains little exfoliating particles, like a body scrub. Its not just a couple, it’s throughout the pot. It does feel very nice, but as I said in my comment, not something I would want to do daily. How very odd! From what you are saying, this is not what the balm should be? I must admit It Wasn’t what I was expecting…. how weird!
I agree with DG. The only particles I’ve ever experienced in the EH balm melt away as soon as you start to massage it in.
She used to sell a separate pot of exfoliating beads that you could add to the balm as and when you wanted to but never offered it already mixed as far as I know. Very strange

I use the Emma Hardie balm regularly and usually buy from M&S when they have a 20% off beauty offer. It's always been fine from there but I did order once from the Feelunique website and it did appear and feel odd. Someone told me that it was slight christallization which can occur sometimes depending on how it has been stored. It feels a little more gritty in texture but melts on the palms when rubbed together. I used the whole pot with no unusual effects on my skin. Hope this helps.

Claire I really think you need to investigate what has happened to your balm, from where you purchased it from. As you say it definitely is exfoliating your skin, which it actually isn’t supposed to be doing. As you said it made your skin tingle, which as far as I’m aware it shouldn’t be doing so. Cleansing with this balm you should be easily able to do at least once daily, so really as is it’s not fit for it’s purpose and what effect could this have on your skin? So I would definitely contact the seller and if not Emma Hardie perhaps ask them as well to comment. Because others have said as well, it isn’t what we would expect to happen to a balm, that should just melt in the hand.
Please let us know how you get on.

I agree with DG. The only particles I’ve ever experienced in the EH balm melt away as soon as you start to massage it in.
She used to sell a separate pot of exfoliating beads that you could add to the balm as and when you wanted to but never offered it already mixed as far as I know. Very strange
Well trust me to get a dodgy pot 🙄

I use the Emma Hardie balm regularly and usually buy from M&S when they have a 20% off beauty offer. It's always been fine from there but I did order once from the Feelunique website and it did appear and feel odd. Someone told me that it was slight christallization which can occur sometimes depending on how it has been stored. It feels a little more gritty in texture but melts on the palms when rubbed together. I used the whole pot with no unusual effects on my skin. Hope this helps.
I got this pot in a set from M&S.
I think I will rub it between my pals, as you suggest, and see if that gets rid of the gritty bits. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I will rub it between my pals, as you suggest, and see if that gets rid of the gritty bits. Thanks for the suggestion.
Claire please take a picture of it for us. The bits really should melt away easily and shouldn’t feel like they are doing anything other then softening to the oil.
I don’t think M&S will have a problem with them contacting them.
I’m sure Emma Hardie would appreciate you letting them know as Marks would be a big supplier of their brand, and wouldn’t want their brand users suffering one of their products not in the best of condition.

Claire I really think you need to investigate what has happened to your balm, from where you purchased it from. As you say it definitely is exfoliating your skin, which it actually isn’t supposed to be doing. As you said it made your skin tingle, which as far as I’m aware it shouldn’t be doing so. Cleansing with this balm you should be easily able to do at least once daily, so really as is it’s not fit for it’s purpose and what effect could this have on your skin? So I would definitely contact the seller and if not Emma Hardie perhaps ask them as well to comment. Because others have said as well, it isn’t what we would expect to happen to a balm, that should just melt in the hand.
Please let us know how you get on.
I think you’re right….
Im going to have a closer look at the tub tomorrow, see if the grainy bits will melt if I rub them on my palm.

I got the pot from M&S in a set just before Christmas. They are usually good about any problems with goods so I will contact customer services.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Claire please take a picture of it for us. The bits really should melt away easily and shouldn’t feel like they are doing anything other then softening to the oil.
I don’t think M&S will have a problem with them contacting them.
I’m sure Emma Hardie would appreciate you letting them know as Marks would be a big supplier of their brand, and wouldn’t want their brand users suffering one of their products not in the best of condition.
Will do.

My first pot of Emma Hardie was the same, I purchased it on the airplane.
Not had it happen since.

Reporting back as promised!
I opened my Emma Hardie balm this morning. The fragrance wasn’t as strong as the Elemis, just smelt fresh. Noticed it had particles in the balm, which I wasn’t expecting. Did feel nice on my skin, but I wouldn’t really want to exfoliate daily…the actual balm was nearer to Aldi than Elemis, but I quite liked it. But I did have a slight tingle on my skin after using. So the jury is still out on this one….
I did like the texture and the fresh fragrance, but not sure I want to exfoliate every day. Will try it again and see if I get anymore skin reaction.
No, those particles are not exfoliating, it is just the way the balm has settled when cooling. Some people just put them in the microwave and heat for a while to melt the balm and let it settle. I have got them a few times, never put in the microwave. They melt anyway when you massage on the face. EH, has an extra product you can buy to add to the balm to turn into an exfoliating, they are very fine and gentle.

I’ve just checked on M&S website…. I got the balm in the hydrate and protect kit, and someone has left a review this month to say they had a similar issue. Maybe a dodgy batch?

Anyway, I’ve taken some pictures…
I gave the pot a good stir and these particles are all the way through.
I tried rubbing the bits in my hand, and after about 10 minutes of rubbing they did mostly dissolve.… but that isn’t something I want to do every day! I tried it on my skin without the gritty bits, and it still tingled. I’m going to wait for M&S customer service to open and see what they say. I am a bit concerned about the tingling…. While I’m happy to try another pot, I’ve got a feeling my skin doesn’t like this balm.
54B4188E-C40A-4914-8B7A-C66AB4B803FB.jpeg

0BA0F248-F51F-425F-985D-2B0B95C3DFB4.jpeg

No, those particles are not exfoliating, it is just the way the balm has settled when cooling. Some people just put them in the microwave and heat for a while to melt the balm and let it settle. I have got them a few times, never put in the microwave. They melt anyway when you massage on the face. EH, has an extra product you can buy to add to the balm to turn into an exfoliating, they are very fine and gentle.
Thanks for that.
They did mostly dissolve eventually, but took a long time, and I wouldn’t want to apply them to my face again. They felt very gritty and uncomfortable.

Get a refund that looks awful
Just spoken to M&S customer service…. As it was purchased in November it’s outside the refund period, so basically no deal…

I may take it into our local store and say it was a gift but I have no box so that may not work….
Bit surprised to be honest as Marks are normally pretty good

Just spoken to M&S customer service…. As it was purchased in November it’s outside the refund period, so basically no deal…

I may take it into our local store and say it was a gift but I have no box so that may not work….
I would contact Emma Hardie Customer Service directly and explain everything including the other person that had the similar experience, with their M&S purchase.
If it were me in the email or call, I would definitely say that I had been looking forwards following many excellent reviews, and recommendations from friends regarding the balm, to trying it.
But this has definitely put you off, now leaving a rather bad taste regarding the brand, and doesn’t look like you will be converting over from your usual favourite.
In response if I were at Emma Hardie, I would certainly be offering a sincere apology, saying that the brand would take matters up with Marks & Spencers.
And to hopefully prove it’s not the usual standard of balm you should expect, at the very least offer you a free sample sized pot to convince you of such.

Thanks for that.
They did mostly dissolve eventually, but took a long time, and I wouldn’t want to apply them to my face again. They felt very gritty and uncomfortable.
The bits should dissolve soon after the rest of the balm creating more of an oily palm. You certainly shouldn’t be feeling anything like uncomfortable, the bits should be cushioned within the rest of the balm and easily dissolve into the rest of the oily balm on your hands.

The customer service operative is incorrect. If its faulty the very least they should do is offer an exchange. M&S may have a period of time for a refund based on an unworn item that does not fit etc. But sale of goods act is different. its about the condition of the item and wether its of "merchantable quality" go into a store if you can.

I would contact Emma Hardie, customer service and explain everything and how the gritty bits are still there and very gritty after you reheated the pot. Oh, and also send the photos.
Because she bought the balm from M&S her contract is with them not Emma Hardie. It would be nice if they offered an exchange though as good will

Because she bought the balm from M&S her contract is with them not Emma Hardie. It would be nice if they offered an exchange though as good will
I understand that Donna but if it were my brand I would want to know how my suppliers were providing my items to customers.

Latest posts

Back