New Owner at Sit-Up after record losses

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I hope the good 'Doctor' Green has made a diagnosis that requires a very strict course of treatment. There are a few unsightly boils at Bid that definitely require a proper lancing :mysmilie_59:

Joking aside I genuinely wish the new management well. The days of selling crap at ridiculously inflated prices and generally taking the Mickey out of people are long over.

New products, new presenters and producers and new working practices are surely what is needed and I really hope they make a go of it.

Good luck.

I think all shopping channels are suffering and with online shopping now dominant, there isn't a real USP for shopping channels. I.e. online shopping you can get what you want, when you want (choosing colour etc.) without having to watch for hours to find something kinda similar on the TV. Before online shopping, shopping channels were quite niche in the sense that it was one of the only ways to get stuff delivered to your door apart from catalogues and stuff. I think this is proven from bids profits peaking in 2007, the time around where online shopping made a break through
Good point-the claimed USP 'bargain prices' does not stand up to scrutiny.
Additionally the Sit-Up channels have targeted an older demographic which is perceived as less computer savvy but this is an ex-growth sector which is another reason why profits and turnover are down.
Nonetheless it's fair to assume that the new owners would not have gone into the deal without a plan. There may well be savings to be made on the purchasing and fulfilment side but I expect they have new ideas for the front end-the product offering and sales themselves so it will be very interesting to see how it plays out

The Freeview spectrum they're sitting on is literally gold (not plated).

Anyone with 5 minutes to spare looking into it will conclude that Sit Up only existed this long because they bought TV slots when Freeview was "OnDigital". People predicted OnDigital/ITV Digital would tank, and they were right, but no one was predicting that BBC picking up the pieces with the "Freeview" rebrand would be as massively successful as it was.

I might be completely wrong, but their broadcasting slots on Freeview might be worth more then the rest of the company entirely.

Incidentally sit-up channels were making more money with Rising Price auctions (and semi-decent products). Around 2007~ as we hit the "falling price" era, profits started to go south.

I guess the great British public aren't as stupid as people anticipate.

Ben Moseby says he is leaving Price Drop and joining Bid from next week to present during lunchtimes. Maybe that was already planned but I wonder if it's the start of the changes?

Can we look forward to the Lisa Brash Bid TV Art Hour?

I wonder what will happen to the big stars like BOD, maybe he will get Peter Simon's peak slots and they will finally ease Peter the Great out the door.

I wonder what will happen to the big stars like BOD, maybe he will get Peter Simon's peak slots and they will finally ease Peter the Great out the door.

I see big things for BOD in 2014.

Like a Double Decker Bus, with overtime a drivers job could be quite lucrative :mysmilie_59:

Incidentally sit-up channels were making more money with Rising Price auctions (and semi-decent products). Around 2007~ as we hit the "falling price" era, profits started to go south.

I guess the great British public aren't as stupid as people anticipate.

Its pure greed as to why they are failing, people know other channels charge £2.95 P&P per day with a free phone line.

If they had actually kept with the original format they may not be in as much trouble. You only have to look at 123 TV shopping channel in Germany and see how successful that channel is. The price falls every 20 seconds and slows down when it gets to a good price and then falls every minute to keep you watching until the quantity sells out! They sell quantities of 400, 500, 600 in a few minutes, like price drop used to!

http://www.1-2-3.tv/tv-auktion

Latest posts

Back