New Year New You (2015)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I couldn t do the 5:2 diet .....I get the shakes if I eat less than I should...lit seems a really skewed way to live ......we need food to nourish us every day .....I suppose time will tell ........but I really believe that healthy eating ....and not perfect eating can get us to a happier body ......and mind .....I love to look up foods that release happy hormones etc ....and help me sleep .....I have a distinction in nutrition and it really has helped my attitude towards vitamins etc....I'm not a strict avid watcher of it all but I think if great nutrition is a foundation in our lives it has to be a good thing for leading good habits..........the diet world is sick in my opinion .....nourish not punish ......I was in the hairdressers today and heard a lady say ...." My daughter is 26 stone ....." And finished by saying that she was eating one meal a day a going down the gym 5 days a week .....one sure fire way for failure ......:0( ?.......:confused:

I was in the hairdressers today and heard a lady say ...." My daughter is 26 stone ....." And finished by saying that she was eating one meal a day a going down the gym 5 days a week .....one sure fire way for failure ......:0( ?.......:confused:
They all say it, one meal per day and they weigh 20-30 stone (speaking from watching documentaries).

I really like the sound of this diet but l am worrier and I about feeling absolutely starving on the fasting days. What sorts of things can you recommend? I am so determined to get rid of some of my extra weight this year and the more l read about this diet the more l think it could work for me!
Join 'the5:2diet' on Facebook. It is a closed group so none of yr friends will see what you post. There are loads of recipes and advice at the top of the group page. The group is very supportive.
I was worried about feeling hungry on diet days but it hasn't been a problem. Also search for Michael Morecroft and his horizon programme on the 5:2 diet and watch that as well.

I'm worried about trying it and becoming obsessed with food when I'm Hungry .....I hope is a great help for people and not another fad that just exacerbates everything

A lot of people seem to get good results from the 5:2 diet without going on starvation.i think on the fasting days you just eat abit less but it's not real fasting.i haven't done it myself but have taken up healthier eating due to health issues.Mainly I cut out as much processed food as possible and prepare fresh at home. And I have been walking the dog more .

I wouldn't try searching for Michael Morecroft and his horizon programme - you should search for Michael Mosley as that's his name ;) He is a doctor himself and always uses himself as a Guinea pig on his projects and they are safe. The website for the original version of the 5:2 diet is at http://thefastdiet.co.uk (it's called the fast diet) and that's dr Mosley's website. The useful thing is there is a calculator there to work out your bmi and from that what your calorie needs are on a fast and non fasting day and so on... I think I've read some versions say 800 kcal on fasting days which I think is high but this version suggests reducing to a quarter of usual intake on fast days (ie 500 kcals if you usually have 2000 a day).

Having said all that I have several concerns about the approach (based on my psych background) and it def won't suit lots of people - myself included. If I needed to lose weight I would prefer to go for a healthy balanced diet every day (which I do anyway but less so over Xmas!!) as I think the 5:2 could encourage bingeing and could be anti social etc for some. Plus be careful reducing your intake much below 500 a day as that would be too low...

Good luck if you give a go! I know it should be easy to lose weight but once you take all the emotional issues and so on into account it isn't just a case of eating less and moving more (or it would be but that's near imposs for some people without support).

I would really recommend Susie Orbach's On Eating - really diddy easy book but reminds you to listen to your body etc. I think it's what Debbie's book is based on (intuitive eating)/a rip off of ;)

On the subject of weight loss and so on, you may be interested to see a new series of 3 horizon programmes on the subject...
I've just watched the first episode but you cupd find it on iplayer (was on BBC 2 9pm) and next 2 are on next two nights at same time... I dare say they could've done it one or two hours but it's actually v interesting and intends to use the latest research to hep 75 people to lose weight using the approach which most deals with their main issue linked to food... Was quite fascinating and nice to see them taking emotion and other factors into account. Also one group will be following a modified 5:2 diet...

Go to www.bbc.co.uk/rightdiet to find out what 'type' of eater you - emotional eater, feasted or constant craver plus there's an ebook to accompany the series etc..

Oopsy sorry about all the typos in that last post!! I struggle to type as it is because of pain but when I'm on the mini pose the web crashes a lot so I have to get it typed at lightning speed to ensure it doesn't loose it so never check what I've written etc!

I've used it, but not sure if it suits me. I had carpal tunnel surgery on one hand and it seems to aggravate it a little and I get achy wrists, although not used it this year yet.

Wondering if it may be good for me. I had surgery on my back last May & mobility hasn't been great since. Thought this may be good to strengthen my back & stomach muscles & could do it sat down.

Latest posts

Back