No More Nina on Leighton Denny Shows

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

i met him at the last beauty bash. he was really polite, funny and informative. qvc's loss!

Well as we say, the best thing to come out of Yorkshire is the road into Lancashire :wink::wink:

I loved watching Leighton. It just won't be the same without him.

We sure do. My dear dad used to say they were still sending missionaries into Lancashire.

That's my experience too Boffy; the other nail brands don't have the sales presence of our Leighton.

. . . . Incidentally, LD products are free from 3 of the nasty ingredients which cause damage and allergies . . . .

Including cancer - formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen. Products like Nail Envy and Perfect Formula are purported to be safe because their formaldehyde content is within permitted limits, but when combined with polishes, top coats etc that also contain formaldehyde, we're using way over the recommended maximum.

Years ago, or should that be "yurs"? I heard Alison Young mocking Leightons accent more or less all through the hour, she kept saying "well a dunt knor" yes, THE eloquent Alison Young who can't even look at the right camera after twenty two yurs and pronounces longevity as lon-gev-ity instead of lon-jevity, mind you that's not because of her accent, it's because she's thick. So well done for Leighton and Nina for getting out, many are.

I heard a discussion on the radio recently about the development of language, and "longevity" was one of the examples used. Apparently pronouncing it with a hard g is becoming more and more common, so much so that in a hundred years it may be the only way we pronounce it and anyone saying it with a soft j will be ridiculed. I've seen/heard Andrew Marr pronounce it with a hard g on the television, and he certainly isn't thick.

I heard a discussion on the radio recently about the development of language, and "longevity" was one of the examples used. Apparently pronouncing it with a hard g is becoming more and more common, so much so that in a hundred years it may be the only way we pronounce it and anyone saying it with a soft j will be ridiculed. I've seen/heard Andrew Marr pronounce it with a hard g on the television, and he certainly isn't thick.

Totally disagree, longevity is one of those words that will always be pronounced lon-jevity, like school (skool) because (becos) and prime example gorgeous (gorjes) are. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFLQTET6ec

Totally disagree, longevity is one of those words that will always be pronounced lon-jevity, like school (skool) because (becos) and prime example gorgeous (gorjes) are. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFLQTET6ec

Sorry, meant to say the words in the brackets are how the spelling could've evolved over all these years but never have, that's why I'm certain lon-jevity will never change pronunciation to lon-gevity like there's never any discussion about changing the pronunciation of gorgeous.

Sorry, meant to say the words in the brackets are how the spelling could've evolved over all these years but never have, that's why I'm certain lon-jevity will never change pronunciation to lon-gevity like there's never any discussion about changing the pronunciation of gorgeous.

Clearly some experts disagree with you, or they wouldn't have used it as an example of a word which has begun evolving.

Clearly some experts disagree with you, or they wouldn't have used it as an example of a word which has begun evolving.

Rubbish! So when's "gorgeous" going to "evolve" then? "Experts" are obviously only giving their opinion, doesn't mean it's true or going to happen.

Rubbish! So when's "gorgeous" going to "evolve" then? "Experts" are obviously only giving their opinion, doesn't mean it's true or going to happen.

Likewise you're only giving your opinion that it's not happening, which doesn't mean mean it isn't.

Likewise you're only giving your opinion that it's not happening, which doesn't mean mean it isn't.

It's not my opinion, it's the way it is, that's how it's correctly pronounced and like the word "gorgeous" no one will demand that it's pronounced wrongly, so it's not my opinion I'm afraid, it's just how it is. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFLQTET6ec I'm not continuing this discussion, I've said al I can say on the matter, the word will not change, I don't make the rules, they just are.

Including cancer - formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen. Products like Nail Envy and Perfect Formula are purported to be safe because their formaldehyde content is within permitted limits, but when combined with polishes, top coats etc that also contain formaldehyde, we're using way over the recommended maximum.

I used to paint my nails every week and when I began getting tiny painful blisters around my nails and inbetween my fingers I was convinced that washing up liquid, shower gel, soap powder etc was causing it. The blisters would pop, the skin would crack and around my nails and inbetween my fingers would be really painful, so much so, I had to coat them in antiseptic cream and wear cotton gloves.
Eventually I went to see the Dr who took one look at my hands, told me to take off my nail polish, apply absolutely NOTHING to my nails and return in a fortnight. I did and the blisters, cracks and soreness had totally disappeared.
He said the ingredients in most nail polishes, hardeners, top coats etc were some of the most toxic in any form of cosmetic and because the whole of my hands, not just around my nails were sore and inflamed, I didn`t twig that nail polish could have caused it.
Nowadays I rarely wear anything on my nails and only for special events such as my wedding or a posh night out do I wear these nail polishes which are free of nasties and even then I remove it as soon as I return home. As the Dr explained, our nails absorb everything we put on them and much of what`s in regularl nail polishes does them no good.
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/search-results.html?searchterm=nail&searchterm_submit=Search

Do you actually have any scientific evidence for this scare story, or is it 'something you read in the paper/heard on the radio'.

It's not my opinion, it's the way it is, that's how it's correctly pronounced and like the word "gorgeous" no one will demand that it's pronounced wrongly, so it's not my opinion I'm afraid, it's just how it is. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFLQTET6ec I'm not continuing this discussion, I've said al I can say on the matter, the word will not change, I don't make the rules, they just are.

We're not talking about "gorgeous", we're talking about "longevity". Language is a living thing, and just because a word is pronounced one way now doesn't mean that's how it will always be. The extremely knowledgeable people I heard on the radio were united in their opinion that the way people pronounce "longevity" is already changing, and I see no reason to doubt their expertise - particularly as I hear it happening on TV and in the world around me.

I used to paint my nails every week and when I began getting tiny painful blisters around my nails and inbetween my fingers I was convinced that washing up liquid, shower gel, soap powder etc was causing it. The blisters would pop, the skin would crack and around my nails and inbetween my fingers would be really painful, so much so, I had to coat them in antiseptic cream and wear cotton gloves.
Eventually I went to see the Dr who took one look at my hands, told me to take off my nail polish, apply absolutely NOTHING to my nails and return in a fortnight. I did and the blisters, cracks and soreness had totally disappeared.
He said the ingredients in most nail polishes, hardeners, top coats etc were some of the most toxic in any form of cosmetic and because the whole of my hands, not just around my nails were sore and inflamed, I didn`t twig that nail polish could have caused it.
Nowadays I rarely wear anything on my nails and only for special events such as my wedding or a posh night out do I wear these nail polishes which are free of nasties and even then I remove it as soon as I return home. As the Dr explained, our nails absorb everything we put on them and much of what`s in regularl nail polishes does them no good.
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/search-results.html?searchterm=nail&searchterm_submit=Search
I’m in exactly the same situation at the moment but because of the carpet cleaner I used about 4-5 weeks ago, it’s not nail polish because I haven’t worn it since around September. I react to washing up liquids and now the carpet shampoo.

My issues completely clear up when I am not using nail products They flare up badly when using any brand other than LD, but I do have a teeny flare up even with LD. I am learning to love the natural nail! I apply polish now and again now, usually for a night out. I even get itchy eyes, which my GP put down to the same thing as we are constantly touching our eyes with our fingers. My eyes are also fine when no products being used! My thumbs, in particular, became so bad with gel polish on that I couldn't even use them properly. Ouch. Never again.

Do you actually have any scientific evidence for this scare story, or is it 'something you read in the paper/heard on the radio'.

There is a vast amount of independent scientific evidence available if you look for it. There are also a number of high-profile sites claiming nail polishes are perfectly safe, but if you examine those they are all sponsored by the cosmetic industry. The World Health Authority International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies formaldehyde as "a known human carcinogen". EU regulations classify it as carcinogenic and mutagenic. Breathing the fumes is known to cause nasopharyngeal cancer and people exposed to it in their work are known to be at increased risk of brain cancer and leukaemia. Recent and current research is also showing a positive correlation between exposure to formaldehyde and leukaemia in those using items containing formaldehyde.

With regard to nail products, there are three particularly toxic chemicals in most polishes. As well as formaldehyde, toluene is known to affect the central nervous system and dibutyl phthalate is known to disrupt hormones and cause reproductive problems. Other chemicals in the polish also combine to release yet more formaldehyde. This is the reason many of the manufacturers are investing millions in removing the "three nasties" from their products before they're forced to do so by law.. In the US the Environmental Protection Agency and other government agencies are spending a lot of public money researching the health problems suffered by nail salon workers as so many are suffering from cognitive and neurological deficits, cancers, impaired reproductive processes, spontaneous births, undersized babies etc.

At the moment the legally allowed amount of formaldehyde in a single nail polish in the EU is "believed" not to be dangerous, but my personal choice is not to use something containing a known human carcinogen even if the government presently "believes" that the amount used won't kill me, particularly when it's something I want to use often or continuously. I also question the amount that is or is not safe in light of the new research that is being done around the world.

My point in my post above was that there's a legal safety limit to the amount of formaldehyde that can be used in a nail product, but if you use Nail Envy followed by a polish and a top coat all containing that limited amount, you're using three times the amount deemed to be safe every time you polish your nails.

Last edited:
I’m in exactly the same situation at the moment but because of the carpet cleaner I used about 4-5 weeks ago, it’s not nail polish because I haven’t worn it since around September. I react to washing up liquids and now the carpet shampoo.

Both washing up liquid and carpet shampoo may contain formaldehyde used as a preservative (always rinse crockery and cutlery well!).

My issues completely clear up when I am not using nail products They flare up badly when using any brand other than LD, but I do have a teeny flare up even with LD. I am learning to love the natural nail! I apply polish now and again now, usually for a night out. I even get itchy eyes, which my GP put down to the same thing as we are constantly touching our eyes with our fingers. My eyes are also fine when no products being used! My thumbs, in particular, became so bad with gel polish on that I couldn't even use them properly. Ouch. Never again.

Itchy eyes are a classic sign of being exposed to formaldehyde, other chemicals in nail polish combine to give off formaldehyde gas apparently.

It's a shame that Leighton isn't on air anymore. I've been lucky enough to have gone to the Beauty Bash two years in a row some time ago (One was as a guest, the other I won a ticket!) The first time I went I met him and Nina on their stand and they were fantastic. Friendly and chatty and both stopped to chat for quite a while. He looked at my nails and recommended a few things I could try but he didn't have samples to hand right away and said that he'd get me some for later. I actually had forgotten by the end of the afternoon, so I was quite surprised when he found me in the crowd and handed me a bag of products to try. And I do love his products - easily the nicest polishes to use. When I went the next year, I was mooching around looking at stands when he appeared from the crowd and said "What, am I not good enough for you this year?" with a big smile. I couldn't believe that he'd actually remembered from the year before! And, again, he was so friendly. And not just in that professional way, but genuinely. I can imagine he'd be great to have a friend.

As someone Sussex born and bred, I don't have a problem at all with his accent. Of course, everyone has an accent but us southerners ;)

Latest posts

Back