Orla keily

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
What do others think of this range?

I see they are selling watches, which in themselves are around the usual price, but I don't fully understand why the same watch in different coloured strap should have such a difference in price. Would have thought it would be easier to price all at an In between price.

Personally I think her bags are overpriced and some I've seen are not that well made. Plus when a range ends up selling everything from a tatty note pad (of pound shop quality) to flower pots to bags sort of doesn't do it for me.

It just reminds me of growing up in my orange kitchen, and the brown flocked lamps in the lounge....*shudder* I really don't get it myself. I think there are a lot of youngsters into this brand as 'retro' seems to be "on trend" - but they obviously didn't have to live through it the first time around!! There was lots of OK bedding in TKMaxx today.

Perhaps that is why it doesn't interest me. Plus she's very much a one trick pony design wise, that is the same design and colours since the first item I saw years and years ago before she became a "name"

It just reminds me of growing up in my orange kitchen, and the brown flocked lamps in the lounge....*shudder* I really don't get it myself. I think there are a lot of youngsters into this brand as 'retro' seems to be "on trend" - but they obviously didn't have to live through it the first time around!! There was lots of OK bedding in TKMaxx today.

Me too Minxy, hated 70's fashion, lived in jeans and black trousers and plain tops. Can't understand why it has come back.

I'm not a fan either, reminds me of Hornsea Pottery designs.....very very similar if you know what I mean. I don't like Kath Kidson either

My thoughts exactly when I saw the pattern on this range. I had a "tango" orange flocked lampshade in that pattern. Ok for the young ones but takes me much too far back for comfort.

I suppose OK and Cath Kidston are trying to be the 'iconic' designers / brands of this century. I don't think they will ever reach the same level as Mary Quant, Biba, Alessi, Conran, Liberty prints, Athena posters and there must be many more.

I had an OK bag, and it was a disappointment. It looked shabby within a very short period of time. I was very glad I bought it at a substantially reduced price.

It reminds me of my first marital home in 1973. A tiny first floor flat with 1 bedroom, a shared bathroom, a tiny galley kitchen and a lounge you couldn`t swing a cat in. All done out in orange, brown and beige. No room for a 3 piece suite so it was an orange swivel chair and bean bags to sit on, an old wooden framed bed which we chopped down, a single wardrobe between 2 of us and gas fired which popped until you put more ten pence pieces in the meter.

I suppose OK and Cath Kidston are trying to be the 'iconic' designers / brands of this century. I don't think they will ever reach the same level as Mary Quant, Biba, Alessi, Conran, Liberty prints, Athena posters and there must be many more.

I can't remember which one of them is Kirsty Asllsops cousin...I think it's CK , that alone is enough to put me off

How can they be, when they seem to be reproducing 70's and early 80's trends? To qualify for an accolade such as designer of an era, surely it should be new, and not a throwback to a bygone era? Love or hate the 70's (decade of my birth) at least it was its own design and look. As long as "retro" and "vintage" is De rigueur, there will be nothing new or original on the horizon. That's where Lola Rose was on to a good thing. Not really all to my taste but at least it was different. And Tiffany and Pandora. Something to mark a new era in jewellery. I want to see more of this in design, not throwbacks to days gone by.

I don't mind Orla Kiely's stuff - I like the colours she uses, and it's not fussy. I cannot bear the Cath Kidston stuff. Designs and their appeal are very subjective. Orla gets my vote because I love the olivey and limey greens she uses a lot of. I'll take OK's reinvented 1970s over CK's reinvented 1950s.

I see the brand in loads of places, her perfume is awful(but that is my opinion, so if you love it wear it and be happy), as for the other things. I just do not like the design, it actually makes me thing of the sort of wallpaper you got in the early 70s. I bet it was hanging on someone's wall years ago and she saw it as a child.:mysmilie_17:

dont like the ok prints or colours and agree the quality is not there. its a bit of a sloaney brand. the chelsea, notting hill set seem to like it but it bores me to tears. prefer ck its fresh and fun and the quality is better. alwaysget given ck as gifts as everyone know i like it for the kitchen and my grandaughter

I must admit I do like her designs, but I'm a bit of a retro girl and love mid century style (sorry, I didn't see the 50s - 70s first time round!). Much cheaper to source her style of patterns and designs second hand though, there's no denying you are essentially paying for her name. It must have been incredible living through those years because everything was so new and different, I can't imagine how fantastic it must've been hearing styles of new music that had never been heard before. Everything now is so recycled from successful styles from a bygone era.

(Although you won't find my buying any Kelly Hoppen, yawwwwnnnnnnnn, I'd sooner take recycled retro styles than plain neutrals)

Last edited:
I think with retro you fall into a choice of categories - either -
- been there TShirt in the wash thank you very much
-Been there and it's my favourite/happiest period so I never want to let it go (unfortunately in make up and hair not to be encouraged)
-Missed out and love the retro look

Everyone falls into one at some point - I never want to see styles from 70 onwards again but love anything Art Nouveau and Art deco jewellery but hate anything else 30's 40's and 50's
My time was 60's but that is still too recent to want anything from it.

Latest posts

Back