Pet Insurance ... yes or no?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That's good news about Louis Janie. I hope he continues to.improve. Sending good vibes from Rossi & Casey Xx

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

capirossi - i may not be the best one to say because i'm like an over-anxious mother but if it was me, i would call the emergency vet, especially if there is blood involved, even if just for reassurance (no charge). if you leave her all day tomorrow, you'll be worried. jmho.

the vet has phoned and said louis is smacking his lips a bit (nausea) but so far has kept the glucose and fish down. he's even been out of his kennel and walked round the room and purred when they fussed him. he's promised me that the nurse will call him if louis becomes distressed like he was when i saw him yesterday morning and that he'll give him another anti-sickness injection. at the moment, he wants to see how he does without it.

a point of note - including louis, my vet has had 4 vomiting cats as in patients this week, although the other 3 have got better. they don't all live in the same area. he was somewhat alarmed as he said he wouldn't normally have that many in a year. so he rang the animal equivalent of disease control to ask if there has been a sudden influx of vomiting cats all over the country - there hasn't. although louis is showing no signs of infection (only very slightly raised temperature, bloods normal), he was wondering if there is a new virus emerging.

it took me all day but i think i have a pic of lou on my profile. when i pressed save changes, it said failed but i can see it. i thought it would be next to my name on the posts though.

Aww, sounds like he's on the mend Janie. Being fussed and purring, sounds like a good sign. :D

I'm with you on the neurotic mother front!! I gave Casey some chicken breast which she managed to keep down. She also had lots of water. I rang my cousin who is a veterinary nurse and she asked lots of questions about her demeanour, her eyes etc. She said she wouldn't ring yet as the fact that she is ok in her self is a good indicator. She was in the kitchen sink trying to get water out of the tap at the time! My cousin advised to try and starve her for tonight but if she was nagging for food to give her small amounts of chicken. She also said that as the substance wasn't bright red it's more than likely where her stomach lining has been irritated. Start her off on chicken breast again in the morning and if she doesn't improve, or takes a turn for the worse in the meantime, to contact the vet.

That has taken a load of my mind. I've taken all the food up and as soon as I had along comes Rossi looking for it!! So she ate and Casey had more breast. Fingers crossed she'll keep it all down now.

Keep us posted Janie.

Ps that's a bit odd about the influx of vomitting cats.

capirossi - so glad you have a plan. i can feel the relief! with what they've been telling me about louis, i'd agree with all of that. blood mixed with stomach acid isn't going to look bright red of course but can be caused "just" by repeated vomiting.

i know how hard it is when you're working. years ago my cat thomas was very ill and i had a very unsympathetic boss. i explained that i lived on my own, tom was my sole responsibility, no-one else could take him but he still wouldn't let me leave work early. in the end, the vet stayed on and waited for me. now i'm older and wiser i'd just go and take the consequences! i've been retired a year and it crossed my mind several times last week, that this would have been an even bigger nightmare if i was still working.

fingers crossed casey is fine tonight (((hugs))) don't forget to tell the vet about the water drinking. he'll prob want to do a diabetic screen.

Thanks Janie. I haven't seen the chicken again yet, so lets hope that's the worst of it over.

I agree about work. If I was in my old job I would be going first thing! Cats eh? Who needs kids?! Lol

Will be thinking of Louis. Let's hope he can come home tomorrow :D

even if he continues to get better, lou has to learn to eat again. the glucose/fish is via a feeding tube going from the side of his neck to his tummy. so it will be a while yet. i'm not bothered, much as i miss him - i just want him to get better.

Without insurance I'd have been right up the Suwannee and my sweet Rosie (RIP) would never have made it to a good age. I hadn't had her a year even, when she was bitten on the belly by a snake (yeah), and got a horrendous mammary infection. I had no idea it had happened until overnight she had developed the most enormous blister covering most of her underside (she was a greyhound so I'm talking huge). The vet discovered it was a snake bite and she was poorly for quite a long time and the bill ran into thousands. You just never know what can happen out of the blue. xxxxxxxxxxx

louis is not so good again today. he was sick again last night :( vet gave him another anti-sickness injection and he's now back on glucose feeds. as the vet says, 2 steps forward, 1 back.

hoping casey had a good night. (((hugs)))

louis report day 9. no sickness overnight. he's still showing no interest in food, not even his felix goody bag but vet says he is looking a bit more comfortable and relaxed this morning. plan for today is to continue with 2 mls of glucose every half hour. i cannot speak highly enough of Midforest Vets, nothing is too much trouble for louis - or frantic mama.

wishing capirossi would check in............

louis report day 9. no sickness overnight. he's still showing no interest in food, not even his felix goody bag but vet says he is looking a bit more comfortable and relaxed this morning. plan for today is to continue with 2 mls of glucose every half hour. i cannot speak highly enough of Midforest Vets, nothing is too much trouble for louis - or frantic mama.

wishing capirossi would check in............

Aww Janie, it's so hard I bet. At least it's not all bad, he does show signs of improvement. Poor ickle Louis. Bet he just wants to be back home all cwtched up.

Well, sorry for the delay in my update. This new job has me working 9-5 and I am not used to it! By the time I come home, see to the pusses, then hubby (in that order!), do dinner, bath..it's pretty much time for bed :(

I am very glad to report that the chicken stayed down!! She spent all night cwtched on a blanket on the chair under the kitchen table and slept really soundly. At one.point I walked in and started clanging about and she was still flat out! I took this as a good sign.

She came to visit me in bed at 1.20. She wanted to cwtch. Worried that she may be sick and wake hubby (he is ill too) I took her into the spare bed with me where she slept for the rest of the night. Came home from work to find no sick and no food!! Her appetite is back too, although she is off her Dreamies - which is most odd.

But yes, she is ok! Thank you all for your hugs! Let's hope Louis is next to make a full recovery x

so glad to hear that capirossi! :whew: i'm impatiently waiting for the evening vet report at the mo.

does cwtch mean snuggle? lol

Any news yet Janie?

Sorry, cwtch is a Welsh word for snuggle/cuddle!! I forget it's a Welsh word as it's an extremely commonly used word amongst non-Welsh speaking Welsh people!! In case you are wondering, it rhymes with butch! It's a fabulous sounding word, as is the word for kiss, which is sws - rhymes with puss!!

And here ended the Cymreag (Welsh) lesson for this evening!!

Big cwtches and swses to you and Louis!!

i'm learning welsh as well. whouda thunk ;)

louis newsflash! he's eaten 2 biscuits - first food for 9 days. i'm overjoyed he fancied eating them but the downside is he's been quiet and gagging a bit since. vet is worried he can feel the tube and thinks the biscuits are stuck. he said he's been up and down today. vet has to decide whether to take the tube out because he doesn't want the feeling to put him off eating. it's a big decision because it means another general anaesthetic and surgery if another one has to be put in and he is very weak. also, my vet is off for the next 2 days. i can hardly complain, he's on call tonight and also worked the whole weekend. i'm sure the others know exactly what they're doing but he's head vet and the one we always see. sigh.

Oh that is a dilemma. If it is the tube putting him off his food then it would be worth a go without it. But, if not...argh. I wouldn't know what to do. It's a good job you are so confident of your vet, he will make the right decision for Louis. Bless his cotton socks.

louis newsflash! he's eaten 2 biscuits - first food for 9 days. i'm overjoyed he fancied eating them but the downside is he's been quiet and gagging a bit since. vet is worried he can feel the tube and thinks the biscuits are stuck. he said he's been up and down today. vet has to decide whether to take the tube out because he doesn't want the feeling to put him off eating. it's a big decision because it means another general anaesthetic and surgery if another one has to be put in and he is very weak. also, my vet is off for the next 2 days. i can hardly complain, he's on call tonight and also worked the whole weekend. i'm sure the others know exactly what they're doing but he's head vet and the one we always see. sigh.

My heart lifted when I read your first sentence, but I see Louis is not out of the woods just yet.
Quite a dilemma re the tube janie. You can only be guided by the experts.
I understand why you feel a bit uneasy about someone else taking over, but I'm sure the other vets in the practice are all capable & caring.

Glad your puss is OK now Capirossi

Latest posts

Back