Peter Simon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Paz who you are or who you wish to defend is fine but in doing so are you not defending his misleading selling tactics last night when on selling the cheap phone he constantly referred to not believing what you were getting for £22 and Janice sat there smiling when it would have been easy to say something and as for his disgusting inuendos they might be ok in a night club but not on shopping telly and i am no prude i assure you.

Paz who you are or who you wish to defend is fine but in doing so are you not defending his misleading selling tactics last night when on selling the cheap phone he constantly referred to not believing what you were getting for £22 and Janice sat there smiling when it would have been easy to say something and as for his disgusting inuendos they might be ok in a night club but not on shopping telly and i am no prude i assure you.

I too watched some of the deal of the day at 9 o'clock. For at least the first 5 times Simon said the price of the Phone was £22.50 plus postage, with no mention of another 3 payments to follow. He also kept mentioning that "you must check out your baskets, this will go". Implying that the Phone was about to sell out in the very first hour.

If you ask me, the man is his own worst enemy, and deserves all he gets!

When he says something like £22.50 is all you'll pay tonight, he is telling the truth. As he explains elsewhere, you'll pay the other installments every month. Also, the flexi-pay arrangements are on-screen at the top left side of the screen throughout the entire show. Hope this helps.

Peter deserves all he gets, you say, radio_dayz. Everyone gets slagged off on these threads. Does everyone really deserve that?

When he says something like £22.50 is all you'll pay tonight, he is telling the truth. As he explains elsewhere, you'll pay the other installments every month. Also, the flexi-pay arrangements are on-screen at the top left side of the screen throughout the entire show. Hope this helps.

Peter deserves all he gets, you say, radio_dayz. Everyone gets slagged off on these threads. Does everyone really deserve that?

Some presenters are occasionally singled out for praise on these forums , but as you say it's mostly relentless slagging off!
I suppose that is because the sale relies on a constant stream of bull i.e 'these are rare and valuable and you must get it insured ' or 'I've bought this for my mum'.
There is bull in most sales situations , but if you are doing it on air there is going to be some mockery !
Ideal is bit like the old Bid tv - it's a guilty pleasure for many viewers, and on that basis I think you have to take the comments in good part.

It's all well and good saying you find dirty Peter funny. And it wouldn't be such a problem with some of his antics, if it wasn't all done while trying to sell items on TV.

The casual dirty little comments and then throwing in the mention of the price.....except not really the price, more likely a quarter of the price, and no mention of that when he says it.

It all just feels like a slimey way of trying to con viewers - acting all silly or smutty, and sneakily mis-quoting prices. Or claiming items are worth more than they really are.

The mind boggles that people can abide that kind of behaviour when it is seemingly done to disguise less than stellar goods, or trying to hide the true cost of something.

I'll say that for me personally, I watch it because I don't sleep well, and so sometimes I'm watching repeats in the middle of the night. Or sometimes because they do have decent prices.

And if I see them claiming an ancient iPad is the most amazing thing ever. Or that the price comparisons show IW's to be the best, when they have cherry picked which retailers prices to list, then I'll come here and say something. This is a place for discussion, good and bad. And if someone interested in buying an iPad or similar, does their homework first before buying and uses google, then perhaps they will stumble across here and learn the truth.....because god knows the Ideal World presenters aren't going to tell them.

Indeed it should be a discussion forum, and thanks for the reply. But it isn't. It's an echo chamber, where posters seem to log on so they can agree with each other's outrage because 'dirty Peter' has done or said something they don't like. And be fair, one of 'dirty Peter's' catch-phrases is 'do your own research.' So he is inviting viewers not to take his word for anything.

I am sorry you are not sleeping well.

Some presenters are occasionally singled out for praise on these forums , but as you say it's mostly relentless slagging off!
I suppose that is because the sale relies on a constant stream of bull i.e 'these are rare and valuable and you must get it insured ' or 'I've bought this for my mum'.
There is bull in most sales situations , but if you are doing it on air there is going to be some mockery !
Ideal is bit like the old Bid tv - it's a guilty pleasure for many viewers, and on that basis I think you have to take the comments in good part.

Thanks for that, I absolutely agree. When watching a shopping channel, you know you're going to hear some 'flannel'. It's no different from the bloke in the market selling, I don't know, window cleaning devices. This is why I say that Peter is having a laugh with it all. He's selling stuff - with the smartphones, he clearly has not a clue what he's talking about - and for me, that's part of what makes him funny. Clearly he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I do feel there's a tendency to take him too seriously.

The other week, he opened his show by welcoming us by saying 'Welcome to Ideal World on channel 22 on Freeview and Sat Nav.' Sat Nav! You have to laugh at that, don't you?

The first 5 times he gave the price out as £22.50. There was no talk about more payments. Anyone with poor eye sight may not see the total cost on the screen, and ring ideal's expensive phone line. I know people who refuse to watch ideal when they see him on screen.

He's just a clueless bungling buffoon most of the time. He is only funny when he's being serious. Last week he introduced Tom Frake as "TV's most illegible young man".:mysmilie_13:

The first 5 times he gave the price out as £22.50. There was no talk about more payments. Anyone with poor eye sight may not see the total cost on the screen, and ring ideal's expensive phone line. I know people who refuse to watch ideal when they see him on screen.

He's just a clueless bungling buffoon most of the time. He is only funny when he's being serious. Last week he introduced Tom Frake as "TV's most illegible young man".:mysmilie_13:

I saw that! What an intro!

I would disagree with the clueless bungling buffoon tag though. He's been in this job for many years now. If he was as bad as you say, he wouldn't be on television. Certainly not live television.

To me he's like the human form of a worry angel, those pieces of glass that you tell your troubles to, only he's for anger management :mysmilie_17: If you have any pent up anger, watch him for a few minutes and you can :mysmilie_51: He is only moderately funny when he's trying not to be.

Incidentally, why does he 'presenter pick' a smartphone if he knows nothing about it? That's another annoying thing with him, making believe he was born in the year dot and knows nothing about anything modern day.

I have to admit, I couldn't do Peter Simon's job, in fact, I wouldn't want to. That goes for all of the presenters on Ideal World. That's because I have something that none of them appear to have, that's integrity. I mean, would anyone want to buy a second hand car from any of them?

I'm sorry Paz, but I can't take anything you say seriously if you defend his mentioning single flexi payments as somehow being acceptable because of the reasons you stated.

The other week he was selling a watch and said outright to the expert with him "I can't believe I can buy a watch water resistant to 350m for £30+" (however much the exact single payment was). There is a clear implication that that is the total price of the watch. He didn't say it was a flexi amount, the expert did nothing to correct him, and it would need someone watching the channel on many occasions, and sticking with a show for a full hour to properly understand.

I know if someone like my elderly aunt/uncle or granparents had tuned in, they would be totally confused. You say the prices are on screen the whole time. But again I believe that is to mislead. You get listed the price, the supposed normal price, the saving, the flexi payment. And for someone perhaps new to the channel, they are going to be paying attention to what the presenter says, as they are supposed to be there to service the viewer.

I fully admit to slagging off pretty much all the IW presenters because they all have glaring faults, be it not fully explaining flexi payments, implying you need to check out baskets to snap up a bargain (pretty much whenever that happens.....iPad I'm looking at you more than most) they always ALWAYS have the items back time and time again. There hasn't ever really been a need with check out baskets within a few minutes of tuning in, as items are always back. That Krups coffee machine being another.

I tune in to QVC as well, and for my money the difference with the presenters is night and day. I actually will watch some presenters in QVC - as I will Hochanda as well - purely because I like them and don't really care what they are selling.

For my money IW is a market stall, with Rodney on the lookout, ready to tell Delboy to get running if he spots the old bill.

If Paul Lavers was on, I'd watch every hour with a smile on my face, or Anthony Heywood for that matter. Hell I used to happily watch with my girlfriend during it's heyday before people like Loen weren't relegated to the craft channel. But the channel was a different beast back then. It was fun to watch and not every show started with "the phones have lit up....it's monsterously busy......"

I'm sorry Paz, but I can't take anything you say seriously if you defend his mentioning single flexi payments as somehow being acceptable because of the reasons you stated.

The other week he was selling a watch and said outright to the expert with him "I can't believe I can buy a watch water resistant to 350m for £30+" (however much the exact single payment was). There is a clear implication that that is the total price of the watch. He didn't say it was a flexi amount, the expert did nothing to correct him, and it would need someone watching the channel on many occasions, and sticking with a show for a full hour to properly understand.

I know if someone like my elderly aunt/uncle or granparents had tuned in, they would be totally confused. You say the prices are on screen the whole time. But again I believe that is to mislead. You get listed the price, the supposed normal price, the saving, the flexi payment. And for someone perhaps new to the channel, they are going to be paying attention to what the presenter says, as they are supposed to be there to service the viewer.

I fully admit to slagging off pretty much all the IW presenters because they all have glaring faults, be it not fully explaining flexi payments, implying you need to check out baskets to snap up a bargain (pretty much whenever that happens.....iPad I'm looking at you more than most) they always ALWAYS have the items back time and time again. There hasn't ever really been a need with check out baskets within a few minutes of tuning in, as items are always back. That Krups coffee machine being another.

I tune in to QVC as well, and for my money the difference with the presenters is night and day. I actually will watch some presenters in QVC - as I will Hochanda as well - purely because I like them and don't really care what they are selling.

For my money IW is a market stall, with Rodney on the lookout, ready to tell Delboy to get running if he spots the old bill.

If Paul Lavers was on, I'd watch every hour with a smile on my face, or Anthony Heywood for that matter. Hell I used to happily watch with my girlfriend during it's heyday before people like Loen weren't relegated to the craft channel. But the channel was a different beast back then. It was fun to watch and not every show started with "the phones have lit up....it's monsterously busy......"

Genuinely interested to know why c&c is a relegation in your eyes, when it's probably more profitable than IW's main channel and comes with no where near the scrutiny.

Edit: Didn't mean that to sound antagonistic in anyway.

Yeah relegated was a bad turn of phrase. I meant more that she was put on C&C because she wasn't in your face enough for what I assume they see as the premium channel. Premium meaning, I guess it's what they see as being QVC's main competitor?

Can't imagine Loen ever stooping to shoving her face in the camera and shouting "monster!" every 5 minutes. But then I don't watch C&C much. It is definitely a better channel though for sure.

I do watch C&C and Loen is indeed great fun on there as are the other presenters, not one who makes me want to switch to something else. The other day though when the usual presenters were at the Crafting Live event in Peterborough Paul Becque was drafted in and I couldn’t stand it. With C&C I don’t feel as if I am being conned , although perhaps I am.

Yeah relegated was a bad turn of phrase. I meant more that she was put on C&C because she wasn't in your face enough for what I assume they see as the premium channel. Premium meaning, I guess it's what they see as being QVC's main competitor?

Can't imagine Loen ever stooping to shoving her face in the camera and shouting "monster!" every 5 minutes. But then I don't watch C&C much. It is definitely a better channel though for sure.

Nah I understand what you mean really, just find it interesting that at face value even myself would dismiss c&c due to it's perceived niche service.

But we must keep in mind the phrase ''faces in places'' and the craft community do not like being sold to. (I read this in an online newspaper article about a reporter who went on a guest presenter stint on hochanda, she was told that craft customers like banter/conversation and demos, as opposed to just demos and spiel) So it stands to reason that you would put a Loen love on there and leave Mike mason with the vacuum etc.

Anyone watching the Earnshaw Watch hour this evening would have seen Simon pulling the old "this price is wrong" stunt once again. "We're having to check the price of this Watch, it must be wrong!" he said. How many times can he get away with this? This buffoon is so transparent. Every Watch he shows you is "ooh, aah, this is extraordinary", or something similar, no matter how rubbish the thing actually is! He certainly is a one off. Thank God for that!

A phoney Watch brand being sold by an old phoney!

Anyone watching the Earnshaw Watch hour this evening would have seen Simon pulling the old "this price is wrong" stunt once again. "We're having to check the price of this Watch, it must be wrong!" he said. How many times can he get away with this? This buffoon is so transparent. Every Watch he shows you is "ooh, aah, this is extraordinary", or something similar, no matter how rubbish the thing actually is! He certainly is a one off. Thank God for that!

A phoney Watch brand being sold by an old phoney!

Plus I'm fairly certain Peter Simon claimed that one of the Earnshaw watches (Longcase with an ETA movement) is the most valuable and exclusive watch Ideal World has ever sold in 2017 when it was £699 (plus P&P) and production limited to a few hundred. Doesn't Peter know about the Mathey-Tissot Storm priced at over £2000 with only 25 watches made?

Plus I'm fairly certain Peter Simon claimed that one of the Earnshaw watches (Longcase with an ETA movement) is the most valuable and exclusive watch Ideal World has ever sold in 2017 when it was £699 (plus P&P) and production limited to a few hundred. Doesn't Peter know about the Mathey-Tissot Storm priced at over £2000 with only 25 watches made?

Well, it's quite obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about half of the time! He said the other night that the cheap STK phone they were selling had a stand by time of 300 hours. That's 12 and a half days. I've had a few phones, and I've never got more than 2 days out of a charge.

By the way, both he and Kevinski said that the awful Mathey Tissot Storm was limited to only 25 pieces, but the picture of the one on IW's web site is marked no 1 of 50. How odd!

I suspect he knows, but is relying on the notion that most people don't.

Latest posts

Back