Phillip Schofield

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think I've got an idea of who the singer is, in fact I'm listening to him on Spotify now. Was he going bald in the 70s and famously had a hair transplant?

And I love the story of the Queen pouring tea for the workman! And the fact that she remembered him considering the amount of people she met.
Elton John?

My mum and I met Helen Shapiro in the foyer at a small jazz concert in London. We had been introduced to her once before at a 60's concert and we said hello thinking she'd just be polite. We started talking about jazz singers, she's really into it. We had a good chat, when she went to the ladies she asked whether we'd still be there when she came out to continue our chat! Really lovely
Is she still alive?

My late wife had a drink or three with Sherrie Hewson of Corrie and Loose Women fame. I believe she is a Beeston (in Nottingham) girl and at the time, her mum or her sister was living in the area still. Apparently, she was very nice and my wife and her friend spent a couple of hours with her getting merrily bladdered.

My now partner met ex of The Jam, Bruce Foxton in some night club somewhere in Manchester, not long after Weller had pulled the plug on the band in 1983 or thereabouts to move into cringemaking leisure wear, sweaters tied around his neck and generally bad tunes. Unwisely, she decided to give him some career advice, told him The Jam should never have split up (helpful) and to pour phosphorus on his ego burns, so to speak, then advised him that his solo tour had been badly promoted. Just what he wanted to hear from a then trainee solicitor!! Needless to say, she didn’t stay meeting him for much longer after those ‘wise’ words.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a 2 week work experience at TV Times in the late 80s. Picked up the phone and it was Lulu, wanted to see her photos before they were published in a soread. I took down the message before asking her to spell her name. There was a slight pause before she did.

I was mortified later when the journalist I gave the message to told me who she was. I had never heard of her.

I was on a 2 week work experience at TV Times in the late 80s. Picked up the phone and it was Lulu, wanted to see her photos before they were published in a soread. I took down the message before asking her to spell her name. There was a slight pause before she did.

I was mortified later when the journalist I gave the message to told me who she was. I had never heard of her.
We met a couple Scottish on holiday in lanzarote .. she said .. “we lived near Lulu as a youngster .. she swore like a trouper “ lol

We met a couple Scottish on holiday in lanzarote .. she said .. “we lived near Lulu as a youngster .. she swore like a trouper “ lol
Lulu was a panellist then was then singing on TV last night, it was on BBC1 but can't remember the name, was about miming to songs to pick out who was a good singer. Hadn't seen it before but quite enjoyed it. I know someone who hopes to be on it.

Lulu was a panellist then was then singing on TV last night, it was on BBC1 but can't remember the name, was about miming to songs to pick out who was a good singer. Hadn't seen it before but quite enjoyed it. I know someone who hopes to be on it.
Love that show … she has got a great voice … To sir With Love ..for me is the best she did

Sometimes it’s better not to meet your heroes. Particularly since the unmasking of people in the public eye many a nostalgic view of our pasts and childhoods have been turned to trash…

All slebs start out as ordinary people, but with a drive and thirst for fame. Many of them have a massive insecurity to hide, and big egos and vanity. The ones who don’t seek fame often pay a terrible price for what their gifts have thrust upon them.

Some of those slebs only achievement is to become known as a sleb, some do truly have a talent, while others are propelled unwillingly to the height of fame by a great talent.

In recent years a number of artists (actors, singers etc) are now “cancelled”, leaving people to wonder if it’s now forbidden to like their music, singing, acting or other gifts.

I think like previous generations we have to find a way of valuing the art and talent and accepting that too many are the worst kind of people. If we don’t we risk disconnecting ourselves from things that helped us to define ourselves and our places in the world.

Let’s really celebrate the talented people who still have a connection to the real world and don’t think they are special… and those who have been busy giving back without a huge fanfare… and understand that even vile human beings can sometimes produce beautiful and important art that enriches our lives… for them we can educate ourselves on the poor quality human as well as the high quality art.

Does Lulu still sell her time bomb stuff in QVC? I only flick over every now and then but haven't seen her for ages.
She pops up now and then with Time Bomb. It was recreated by her ex-husband's company and only called Lulu's Time Bomb on QVC, she is basically just the BA for the brand.

I can sort of understand that if you spend years being cosseted by those around you and never living like Jo Public then if you are that way inclined that you can become a total Diva, especially if you received stardom in your late teens by the time you get to 40 you have spent more than half your life in a bubble with everyone acting as if you are gods gift to the universe.

I think the clue is in her surname.

Like Tracy Solomon (few were unaware of her faith because of her relationship with Joe Swash).
I think it's actually Stacey Soloman. I don't believe she goes to Schul very much or keeps Shabbes.

Latest posts

Back