Plants2Garden TSV 27/03/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pricking out is the part I’m not good at no matter how many videos I watch!

Mr L likes hellebore but so do the slugs so they are eaten down to the stumps before they flower. I cut most of the leaves off but the blighters still have a go.

Mr L likes hellebore but so do the slugs so they are eaten down to the stumps before they flower. I cut most of the leaves off but the blighters still have a go.
Wow, that’s surprising- you would think they would be too tough for slugs to eat. I have alot of hellebores but they are on a gravelly, rockery bank so I would think the slugs wouldn’t want to get their soft bellies scratched.

How do you prick out maybe we can all give you some tips! I aways water well. Let them drain and use tooth picks, pencils, teaspoon handles etc depending the size of the seedling. Try and keep a little compost as a root ball make a hole drop it in and firm in gently. water from below always.

I’ve got a lot of hellebores, which are in full bloom at the moment and I’ve not had any problem with slugs or snails munching on them but, dare I say it ..… I use Richard Jackson’s slug pellets.

Anyone got any opinions on those tumbler compost makers?

Again anyone used a Bokashi composter?
We were talking about starting composting, our soil is terrible with no digging depth. Hadn‘t a clue what a Bokashi composter was, just checked and saw a Hozelock one, that makes liquid compost, which also I had no idea about either.

I read about it in a magazine and looked it up. The Hoselock one is one of the more expensive ones but probably the one I would go for as you could probably get parts if required.

It makes liquid but also actual compost every 2 weeks albeit it would be small amounts and you can put waste in it that you can’t on a heap, however how much it would cost to buy the bran might be too much.

I read about it in a magazine and looked it up. The Hoselock one is one of the more expensive ones but probably the one I would go for as you could probably get parts if required.

It makes liquid but also actual compost every 2 weeks albeit it would be small amounts and you can put waste in it that you can’t on a heap, however how much it would cost to buy the bran might be too much.
This has been on Q but seems small though
https://www.qvcuk.com/SFIXX-80-Litre-Tumbling-Composter.product.724422.html?sc=SRCH

Local Authorities sometimes sell compost bins via a supplier. I have a patio garden and they did the usual large bin that you place on a border but the did Patio ones where you get a special base with holes but its shaped to go up into the composter. It may be worth enquiring as you get them ridiculously cheap.

Local Authorities sometimes sell compost bins via a supplier. I have a patio garden and they did the usual large bin that you place on a border but the did Patio ones where you get a special base with holes but its shaped to go up into the composter. It may be worth enquiring as you get them ridiculously cheap.
Thanks Boffy much appreciated, will keep that in mind.

Plants2Gardens 10x 9cm Fuchsia Fairy Collection
Item Number: 728160
QVC Price £32.00
Todays Special Value Price £19.98
P&P £4.95

Create striking bursts of colour throughout your garden with this fuchsia fuchsita fairy collection from Plants2Gardens. You'll receive ten plants in five different colour options, including Candy, Deep Pink White and more, and these half-hardy plants will produce hundreds of upward-facing, bi-colour blooms all summer long. Whether you're adding to containers or filling up hanging baskets, they'll lend a whimsical touch to any garden.

*A great saving: If you were to buy the Mini Fuchsia collection individually, directly from Plant2Gardens you’d pay £40, plus P&P. So for our Today’s Special Value price of just £19.98, plus P&P, you’re saving £21.02

A gardener's delight - specially selected for their free-flowering habit, these fuchsias are compact, easy to grow and versatile. The pot sizes are 9cm, meaning they're fully garden-ready, able to be planted straight out into their final position in the garden, whether in a planter, hanging basket or window box. Put one fuchsia in a 30cm container for a full display, or if you want an instant sea of colour, put three in a 30cm container.

Early flowering - new breeding over the past couple of years means these fuchsias will flower earlier than other fuchsias, from May through to the first frosts in October and November. They're half-hardy too, so they can be overwintered to come back, year after year!

• Half-hardy perennial
  • Attracts bees, butterflies and other beneficial pollinators
  • Flowering period: May - October
  • Plant position: full sun, part shade
  • Soil type: moist, well drained
  • Mature size (h x w): 30cm x 30cm (11.8" x 11.8")

Contains:

• 2 x Fuchsia Fuchsita Candy (9cm) - with pink and red flowers
  • 2 x Fuchsia Fuchsita Deep Pink White (9cm) - with pink and white flowers
  • 2 x Fuchsia Fuchsita Pink Violet (9cm) -with pink and violet flowers
  • 2 x Fuchsia Fuchsita Red Blue (9cm) - with red and blue flowers
  • 2 x Fuchsia Fuchsita Red White (9cm) - with red and white flowers

Cultural instructions:

• Plant out upon receipt provided the ground is not frozen. If you cannot plant immediately then give plants a little water and keep in a frost-free place
  • Keep your plants well-watered whilst becoming established
  • Dead head to prolong flowering season
  • Prune to shape in spring after over-wintering
  • Feed twice a year in spring and autumn with a slow-release fertiliser
  • During winter, move plants to a warm and sunny spot either in the greenhouse, conservatory or porch. Alternatively treat as annuals, composting at the end of the flowering season and replacing the following year

All measurements are approximate

I’ve got a lot of hellebores, which are in full bloom at the moment and I’ve not had any problem with slugs or snails munching on them but, dare I say it ..… I use Richard Jackson’s slug pellets.
I really don't like hellebores but, yes you've guessed it, they do wonderfully well in my garden I agree RJ's sluggies are brilliant and his weedkiller is the dogs. Creeping buttercup dead in one afternoon. You can say what you want about Richard's products (I'll say it, they're ****** expensive) but they do work.

CC

I love David Austin roses but they stopped shipping over here a couple of years ago. Just recently they have recommenced but it has to go through ROI, pay in euros and much much higher postage.

However I was in my garden centre on Thursday to find they had a small collection of DA roses (never had before), expensive but exactly what I need so a happy bunny, going back next week to get a couple for my new area.

Has anyone had problems with pansies this year, mine all died.

I love David Austin roses but they stopped shipping over here a couple of years ago. Just recently they have recommenced but it has to go through ROI, pay in euros and much much higher postage.

However I was in my garden centre on Thursday to find they had a small collection of DA roses (never had before), expensive but exactly what I need so a happy bunny, going back next week to get a couple for my new area.

Has anyone had problems with pansies this year, mine all died.
Did some Black Pansies from seed last June and they flowered nicely. Were straggly because of lack of sun cut the straggly stems off.Now they are into pansy overdrive now. But I don't put them in borders just pots and baskets as the slugs eat them.

Latest posts

Back